Topic: Optimal LEGO Robot Design

Hey, guys.

So for a while now I've been wanting to make a film about non-minifigure characters and have been thinking about building robots and making a film about robots.

However, in order to do this, I need a really good robot design.

Since they won't be minifigures, I'm really wanting to build something that has more movement than a minifigure so I could be less limited in movements.  Ideally with shoulder, knee, elbow, heel, and neck joins.  However, I don't want to go too big, as having the characters be bigger would mean I would need to scale up the sets to match, which would require more bricks, and likely push the limits of my LEGO collection a bit too far.  Ideally I'd want something maybe around thrice the size of a minifigure more or less.

I've spent some time trying to construct such a figure, however, my attempts thus far have been futile, and the figure usually ends up looking rather bad or quite fragile.

That all again:
1: lots of mobility
2: Isn't much more than thrice the size of a minifgure
3: Not fragile
4: Not ugly

Does anyone know of a way one might accomplish this?  I'd really appreciate any ideas for starting points, or links to a MOC someone else has made which looks promising.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask you guys since it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks!

Re: Optimal LEGO Robot Design

Ever seen the classic called "Robota"?
Maybe the puppets are too big.
How about Pagano Puppets?
Maybe too big as well.
I suppose you want the figures to be the size of a Big Figure eg. Hulk, Darkseid etc.

A bit off topic here, Wall-E has very nice robot designs that doesn't follow the stereotypical Bender bot. You can make robots on wheels and what not.

You can build lego Mindstorm robots, program them to do whatever action you want. Film them at 24 FPS. Speed up the frame rate to make them look like they move faster.

All this information won't really help but may help you find inspiration.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Buy a lot of Mixels for the small joints!  Build limbs and bodies around the joints.  Good idea?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I never considered Mixels... Good point!

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Kd2000 wrote:

Ever seen the classic called "Robota"?
Maybe the puppets are too big.

Indeed, that's exactly the sort of thing I am looking to avoid.  If you look at Robota, the sets are built way, way, way bigger than mini-figure scale, they are gigantic in comparison.  But I'd really rather be less limited in my set design, so I'd like to make the robots as small as possible.

Also, on a side note, just now I wanted to look at Robota again for reference so I could try to guess around about how much bigger that scale is, however, upon looking, it seems as if it has for some reason or other been removed from YouTube.  Does anyone know where one might watch it again?  It would be horrible if such a masterpiece were lost to us forever.

As of yet, I do not posses any Mixels sets, nor do I have much in the means of funds right now, nor was I planning upon getting some since I was more interested in other sets.  However, is does look like they could be good for reaching my goal were I able to acquire some.  Although I'm unsure how reliable their joints are.  I've learned not to rely upon Bionicle joints, as their sockets become easily broken beyond repair.

Wall-E has very nice robot designs that doesn't follow the stereotypical Bender bot. You can make robots on wheels and what not.

I have been considering wheels, however, with wheels it's less easy to lock the figure down on set, which is a practice I'm quite fond of using.  I do have a really nice foot design in mind at least, which could allow my figures quite a big of mobility and the ability to walk diagonally against the studs.

As far as I've been told, Mixel joints are marvelous.
I keep intending to get some myself, but from all I've read they'd be perfect for tiny animated robots.
Obviously they've got a weight limit, but with the size you're looking at that shouldn't be an issue.

I also recommend searching Flickr and MOCpages for "hardsuits." Basically slightly bigger that minifigure sized robots, with minifigure heads. You should be able to find plenty of inspiration and ideas.

(Oh, and somebody please tell me they have a backup copy of Robota!)

Ever see the robot character in "Play Nice"? I always thought it was a pretty cool design, despite the fact that it requires rather common pieces to build. Maybe you could try a similar design? (or is that still too big?)

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

I do recommend a few Mixels.  They are cheaply acquired at $5 retail each.  My wife collected the entire first 3 series.  Even if you pick up 2 of them, you'll have something nice.  Look carefully at the ones you pick for the nice ball joints; they don't all have them, but most have useful jointed parts for articulation.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Paganomation made this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 2886883201 Its pretty small compared to most lego puppets, but it might still be to big, don't know.

Hope that helps
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I also recommend searching Flickr and MOCpages for "hardsuits." Basically slightly bigger that minifigure sized robots, with minifigure heads. You should be able to find plenty of inspiration and ideas.

Thanks!  That's been a really useful tip.  Hardsuits are generally around the size I want for the robot, so searching for it generally gets me a bunch of things around that scale.  And while most of those aren't animatable, I've found a few good starting points in some of them.  My prototype android is starting to come along.

This is a small robot I built for Beyond The Eleventh Dimension, it can be a bit of a pain to animate but it does have more articulation then a minifig. The size is small enough that it won't look out of place in a minifig scale sets. The small mixal joints are great but I think using them would make robots about twice the size of this.

Edit:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3894/14677442719_ac7f1aa3ff_z.jpg

Well, after going though a whole lot of prototypes, I've come up with this:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8649/16586251696_0a9bfcd0ef_b.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with it.  I had to spent a lot of time making sure that none of the joints were too loose or too tight so it could be easily moved about.

It has 22 different joints, which is more than three times the number of a standard minifigure, giving it a great range of flexibility.

It also is only around about twice the size of a minifigure.  And I'm really, really happy that I was able to get it that small.  Thus I should only have to build sets around about twice the size of minifigure scale.  Because it still uses clip hands, I can still make it hold most of the accessories that a minifigure can hold.

I'm fresh out of a few of the vital elements required to build this, but perhaps I might be able to create some similar but different designs with other elements so it can have some friends (or perhaps some adversaries.  A flexible robot fight scene would be a marvelous thing to see).

That looks boss, Squid.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I think you should definitely get some Mixel joints.  I have a few and they feel fantastic, though I have yet to make much use of them.  They feel very solid and stable, and though they obviously won't carry as much weight as Bionicle joints they'd easily be strong enough for the size you're aiming for.  The sockets are the same size as some of the balls of older bricks, so bricks like this are compatible.  They fit snugly in the sockets and have the exact same clutch as new Mixel balls.  Aside from the new joints, the Mixel sets have loads of generally useful parts besides, and they're super cheap at £3 a bag so you wouldn't need to spend much money to get some.

Plus they'll probably simplify the design somewhat so you won't have to rely as much on complicated and probably fragile joints made from clips and suchlike (which also tend to use up your vital bricks).  It'd also be great to inject some variety in your robot designs.  This one you've built here looks pretty thick and heavy, I'd like to see a comparatively tall and slender one.

And as far as getting money goes, all you have to do is get a job.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Fair points all around.  I've decided before that I should make all of the robots be unique as so the character design is kept interesting.  As it's something we rarely get to see in brickfilms, since most of our characters are roughly the same shape.

I spied that a few of the Mixels sets were on sale on the LEGO Shop site, thus even cheaper than usual.  Hopefully I can get some coin before they're sold out and snag a few.

Wow! Personally, I think that looks just perfect, Squid! As long as they aren't too fragile, I think those joints look a lot better than if you were to use Mixel ones. The joints you used give it a much more complex, realistic look IMO.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Honestly, it looks amazing. I personally love the clip joints, they provide an interesting look that I would love to see in motion. As far as being thick and heavy, that doesn't bother me, I like it more than I think I would like a taller slender one.

The head doesn't seem quite right, maybe it is too normal compared to the rest of the body. Also, having the wrists a bit shorter would also help. They look too fragile at the moment compared to the rest of the thick beefy body.

But overall, sweet design! mini/tongue

edit: On second thought, I agree with Pritchard. I wouldn't change a thing if I were you.

Last edited by GEF (February 22, 2015 (12:26pm))

Squid, that is amazing.
Sure, some of the joints may be a bit fragile, but I wouldn't change a thing.
It looks beast.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I love the design of the joints, particularly how you used the t-piece in conjunction with the clips.  It looks very mechanical and prototype-like.  I'd suggest perhaps adding a splash of colour here and there instead of making it all grey, but aside from that I honestly have no other suggestions.  It looks fantastic.

Squid wrote:

Fair points all around.  I've decided before that I should make all of the robots be unique as so the character design is kept interesting.  As it's something we rarely get to see in brickfilms, since most of our characters are roughly the same shape.

Yeah, this is definitely what you should go for.  If you have the freedom to design the characters as you please instead of relying on minifigures you should definitely use it to its fullest potential.  Creating visual contrast in the designs is certainly something to explore.

Incidentally, do you plan on using minifigures and robots, or would it be robots only?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

It's actually pretty sturdy, guys.  The double clipping technique I used keeps it together pretty nicely.

Also, if anyone else wants to build one of these and try it out before me, feel free.

I might work on the lower arms a bit more.