Topic: Nikon Kit Lens Light Flicker Issues

Ok, so before I bought my Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 lens for brickfilming, I used the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the Nikon D3100. It had terrible light flicker issues, so I discontinued using it for brickfilming. I know why the light flicker happened (it was because the aperture did not open to the exact same spot every time), now I would like to know how to fix it.

I think someone mentioned locking the aperture to one position on the lens itself, but I really have no idea, so all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: Nikon Kit Lens Light Flicker Issues

Try this.
In fact, that whole thread should be of use.

I have the D3100 too, but I don't necessarily have this problem. Is everything on manual? I had a similar problem when I was starting out but I adjusted the ISO and white balance and things seem to be ok now.

I'm not sure if it's the same with you, but with my Canon 550D, I just use a higher f/stop allowing for a smaller aperture.

Put the lens on half way and have the camera still kick on (thinking a lens is fully connected). Bam - your lens's aperture can't possibly move. At least, I hope Nikon lets you do this. I know Canon does.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Pritchard linked what I was looking for. It's an issue with the lenses, but I got it figured out. Jamming the paper in the aperture tab definitely isn't the easiest thing to do, but I guess it worked. I'll have to try animating with it soon.

Sorry if I was kind of vague in the topic post, I meant to be more detailed in saying that it was the lens causing the issue, not the camera itself (because I have no light flicker unless I use the kit lens. Any other lens is fine), though thanks for all the extra tips anyway!

Last edited by rioforce (February 17, 2015 (02:14pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b