Topic: My Brother The Chicken - production blog

I've been working on a new film that is tentatively titled "My Brother the Chicken." It's a story of a brother and sister living together after leaving there parents and some of the tension that has built up between them, it does have some elements that might not go over that well for a lot of the site members like a little bit of very strong language and some sexual themes, both of which are central and impotent to the story, which is the best script I think I have ever written.

The sister and brother are played by two professional actors I've meet and I am very excited about the vocal performances I've got for this film, it should be the best voice acting yet. To help add to the acting this will be my first film I'm going to use CGI lip syncing, I don't like a lot of the LEGO lip syncing I have seen I think the Liquify method looks pretty bad, and I am not a fan of how clean most vector based mouths I have decided to take my own images of LEGO faces and do my own picture based lip sync, I really want to see the texture of the paint and scratches to really sell this is part of the minifig face.

This is my first proof of consept, no tracking or stop motion, just a digital face over a still image, but I think it looks good and am going to give it a shot over an animated minifig.

My Brother the Chicken lip sync test 1 - (This is a piece of the sister character voiced, she is supposed to be a little drunk, the language is clean)

I'll keep everyone updated as I continue to work on this film

Re: My Brother The Chicken - production blog

That's a neat way of doing mouth animation/lip syncing. Looks awesome! I also am intrigued by the synopsis you gave for your new film. I'm looking forward to the updates. Best of luck, Sloth.

It looks interesting, but there's a HUGE jump between several of the faces. I suggest getting some transition frames, both for the mouth, and the eyes. It's important to ease in and out, or the result will look choppy.
Second, I feel several of the mouths are too large and exaggerated for simple dialog. That's obviously a personal choice, but I'd recommend dialing things down a tad.

Generally, the face designs look nice, and you've done a fantastic job getting it on the figure. Once you hammer out those two things above, it should look great.

Once you really start jumping into lots of transitional faces you start to wind up with a lot of the same issues that the Liquify method has, if the expression does not jump directly to the next sound the actor is making the whole thing begins to look muddy and does not seem as in sync with the actual dialog, I am also limiting myself to official LEGO face prints, which makes it a bit harder to get all the expressions you need for the full range of speech.

I am not going for realism here, unless trying to make it look like LEGO is realism, which is my goal, I want the face to look like a real LEGO face, I feel like a lot of the lip sync other people are doing is removing the reality from the stop motion, putting it almost to a point were it is CGI, which is not my goal. Ideally I would like people to think I just replaced heads on the minifig and have a bunch that they just don't have, and I worked within those limitations, it might be an artistic goal you don't like or agree with, that that is the direction I am pushing towards.

I do agree with Pritchard that the mouth animation does look a bit choppy. I know Monitogo Studios does their lip sync animation first, separately from eyes and other facial expressions. And then they animate the minifigures other expressions separately. I know you probably wouldn't want to do their type of lip sync, but if you use the method they use (doing the mouth and other expressions separately) then it might look better.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

As Pritchard said, the face seems too large. Not only the mouth, but the entire face. If you'll notice on a real LEGO Minifigure, the eyes on every minifigure are in the exact same spot. The mouth usually never reaches below the flat part of the minifigure's head (though, lips and chin elements can go below), and the eyebrows usually stay right at the top of the flat part.

Though, I like the idea of the lip syncing, and it loos pretty cool so far.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I, too, am experimenting with lip-sync animation, and I share your sentiments regarding vector-based artwork and especially the liqudify method. How exactly did you achieve the texture of the mouths? Which LEGO faces did you use for reference? Did you start with a picture of the face, and then digitally manipulate it to change the shape, while keeping the scratches and textures intact? I would love to see some more details on your process for creating the faces.

I'm very interested in seeing your process, because it's exactly the same effect I've been trying to achieve!

RioForce, while I agree that the face may be slightly to large the mouth I'm using for A-I-L does in fact go onto the curved part of the face, I did go over it once more and realize maybe one or two single frame transitional expressions were called for.

Nathan, all the faces were photographed with a 105mm lens to make them as flat as I could get them, I'll upload the images I have later if anyone is interested in using them. The main digital modification was erasing the yellow, sadly I photographed them at a little to low of a resolution so I may want to retake the pictures but getting all the elements in for one gender is a full days work.

Last night I did an animation for this dialog where the girl is drunk and unsteady, sadly I was rushing to get it done before bed and it is out of focus,  but I am still going to try and track the head and see how it looks, if I can tack an out of focus un steady head I sold be able to do anything.

I've always much preferred mouth animation in brickfilms without in-between frames. When it's too smooth, it does not integrate with the stop-motion and becomes distracting. A smaller number of frames makes it seem like it could have been achieved through swapping out heads if this was possible, and this suits even better since you are mostly using mouths from real LEGO faces. I'm glad to hear you are keeping it this way.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Nathan, all the faces were photographed with a 105mm lens to make them as flat as I could get them, I'll upload the images I have later if anyone is interested in using them. The main digital modification was erasing the yellow, sadly I photographed them at a little to low of a resolution so I may want to retake the pictures but getting all the elements in for one gender is a full days work.

Wonderful! I look forward to the files. I definitely want to try my own hand at experimenting with this!

If you are not old enough to know the cartoon Clutch Cargo, go check out some of that cartoon's literal mouth animation.  Sloth, is this the kind of animation you're planning?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Really interesting way of doing face animation, I can't wait to see how it develops.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

If you are not old enough to know the cartoon Clutch Cargo, go check out some of that cartoon's literal mouth animation.

That's just freakish and weird. But instead of Clutch Cargo as the example of "literal mouth animation", why not use something more recent like Annoying Orange? But even then, it's still freakish, and I don't want to see it on minifigures.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Sloth, is this the kind of animation you're planning?

He's obviously not. The test videos just shows different LEGO mouths being used, not human mouths being overlayed.

SlothPaladin wrote:

RioForce, while I agree that the face may be slightly to large the mouth I'm using for A-I-L does in fact go onto the curved part of the face

Oh, yes, I forgot about large mouths going off the flat part. I just think the overall face is too large, but like you said, you're going to fix that. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

Welp, I tried to do motion tracking without adding any tracking point to the face and it did not turn out well, I don't know if you can tell but I added a few transitional frames  to the mouth movements on really big changes, I think I need to retry the whole think with some tracking points. While I could do all the 3D movement in AE by hand I think that will be WAY to time consuming and I think tracking points with a few touch ups by hand might do the trick, although I do feel like this was about 10x harder to track then most situations would be as the minifig was drunk. Due to how disastrous it turned out I have not put much work into fixing other failures it contains.

HoldingOurOwn did you even watch my test? The mouths in Clutch Cargo are about as far from what I want my lip sync to look like as possible.

Nathan: I think I may retake all the face pictures as I do have a few issues (like the lower resolution among other things) that I can fix if I start over. But here is a download of the current PNG face pieces with transparency. I took the pieces from these faces:
http://i.imgur.com/bRZxGUp.jpg

Edit: Trying some new tracking markers, movie making is fun mini/confused
http://i.imgur.com/HblTe0A.png

Shameless double post!

After about 3 hours of work I re-shot the animation with tracking points and here it is:

Lip-sync test 3!

That looks much better! Did you only have two tracking markers? I like the new transitional faces.

YouTubeWebsite

I totally forgot about Annoying Orange!  Possibly the creator was Clutch Cargo inspired.  I saw Sloth's video and now I get it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

rioforce: AE can only use 2 tracking points so I used it's positioning data and adjusted the tilt and rotation by hand, if you watch it a lot and critically you can start to see the tracking flaws but they aren't that obvious on first viewing.

After a lot of work I've got all the faces I need to do the face animation, I will hopefully upload all the files tomorrow with a tutorial for anyone interested in giving the facial animation a crack.

This was my first animation with the male mouths but most people found it to be to happy for the dialog it acomponied, so I replaced a few of the key shapes with other mouths I had captured and got this updated version

After doing all that I went to a party for a friend of mine, I've been feeling a bit ill lately so I was partying old man style drinking water and trying to get home before midnight, but even with my old man ways I manage to meet this guy and after a conversation that started talking about that stupid gold/white dress that has been trending I let it slip that I'm an animator and he flipped out, guess he has been making stop motion and flash videos for years and he totally want's to make movies with me, so it looks like I gained an animation intern. Who knows that could help me get work done faster!

Or it could slow down your work. mini/tongue That's awesome!:D

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."