Topic: LEGO Island Remake

As a few people may know, I'm completely re-creating the game "LEGO Island". I have a playable demo, with paths and everything set out. Let me know what you think!

Download Pre-Alpha 2.0

uh oh!

Re: LEGO Island Remake

Downloading it now, will play it in a bit and give ya some of me thoughts.

EDIT: Sorry, being a Mac user I can't open .exe files mini/sad best of luck though

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Blender Game Engine, I see.

All of the textures are missing, you will need to package the textures in the .blend file before compiling into an EXE.

I recommend that you don't use the BGE, though. It's not bad, but it's extremely difficult to optimize, it can only compile on the platform you are running (So if you don't have a Mac or Linux computer, you can't make Mac and Linux builds), and the logic editor gets extremely confusing with lots of detail. It would be easier to learn a programming language than to try to make a successful game in Blender.

Maybe you should try Unity. It's free and has great functions, a large community, and easy to use interface. It has to be programmed with either UnityScript or C#, but once you learn one, it's a lot easier. I recommend UnityScript, which is just a flavor of JavaScript, the web coding language, so you can use your JavaScript syntax knowledge in the web too. Also, Unity games are cross platform and web, so that's a plus.

I regret not learning JavaScript for Unity myself, because I too have tried to make games in the past. Maybe someday I will learn it and finally make a game...

Good luck on your game attempt, though! I look forward to following the development of this.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yep, you didn't pack the textures/sound/etc. Its pretty hard to play when you can't see anything. mini/lol I'd be happy to try it out if you fix that.

@rioforce
I both agree and disagree with your assessment of the BGE. While I definitely agree that, yes, on the foodchain of game engines that are somewhat "drag 'n drop", the BGE is pretty much at the bottom, I don't agree that it should be dismissed outright.

You have to consider the scale we are talking about here. Is it difficult to optimize? Sort of (it actually depends, but I digress...). But this is small scale, it is extremely unlikely that a one man reproduction of LEGO Island would ever even come close to worrying about optimizing. As for the logic editor getting confusing, granted, it can. But again, scale. Zachary's project is unlikely to get to the point where it becomes simply unworkable. You can always convert a mess o' nodes into a python script also (which I think you know, since I actually know about, and tried your Dr. Clickit game, which is a cool concept btw).

Last, I am not sure how much of a programmer you are, but I can definitely tell you that there is no way on earth learning a programming language and programming a game (even with an engine to help) is easier than using the BGE. Do you have any idea how much time, skill, and knowledge it takes to program a 3d game?

As for Unity, absolutely. It is definitely a better game engine than BGE in most ways. But if you're already are familiar with Blender, using the BGE is fine, especially for a first game attempt. And again, maxing out the BGE is probably a lot harder than you seem to think.

Also, you shouldn't regret anything like that. Pretty sure you are younger than me, plenty of time learn Unity! Just dive on in and learn a little bit at a time.

Note: I have significant experience with 3d in general, Blender, BGE, programming, and game engines, and was speaking directly from experience about Unity and the BGE.

Well, sure I guess the scale of the game does have a great deal to do with optimizing, but even my "Dr. Clickit" game had speed issues, and it was quite small. Now that Blender has a LoD system, it should be easier. As for programming, if you had to learn a programming language, I don't know if you would want to learn Blender Python first. Python isn't hard (my brother learned it, so it can't be that hard mini/tongue ), but the Blender documentation is extremely lacking.

I guess it's a matter of opinion whether Unity or BGE is easier. From experience, I say that BGE is much harder than Unity. But I guess it's according to what you're comfortable using.

YouTubeWebsite

I'll be sure to try this out! I always was a fan of the LEGO Island series, however, could never get the original game to work on my computer. I always loved spending hours on LEGO Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts, though. However, from what reviews I've read online, and from feedback I've gotten from friends, it seems that the original game was the greatest of the three. You, in making this, may have created the only reliable way for me to experience the original! In that - I commend you. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland wrote:

I'll be sure to try this out! I always was a fan of the LEGO Island series, however, could never get the original game to work on my computer. I always loved spending hours on LEGO Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts, though. However, from what reviews I've read online, and from feedback I've gotten from friends, it seems that the original game was the greatest of the three. You, in making this, may have created the only reliable way for me to experience the original! In that - I commend you. mini/smile

You've never played the original LEGO Island?! D: It isn't actually hard to install and run on modern computers. I use it on Windows 8.1 and it plays fine. Sometimes you have to go into the "To Configure LEGO Island" program and change the graphics emulation mode. Please, PM me with some info on what won't work for you, and I assure you I can get it running on your machine. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

rioforce wrote:
Dyland wrote:

You've never played the original LEGO Island?! D: It isn't actually hard to install and run on modern computers. I use it on Windows 8.1 and it plays fine. Sometimes you have to go into the "To Configure LEGO Island" program and change the graphics emulation mode. Please, PM me with some info on what won't work for you, and I assure you I can get it running on your machine. mini/wink

The last time I tried to install LEGO Island was about 7 years ago, and on my Windows XP desktop. What the problem was before had to do with the installation. I've downloaded many, many games before (predominantly Sid Meier games mini/tongue) and none of them had ever crashed during the actual installation process! LEGO Island did this repeatedly, and, when I finally was able to get it up and running (I manually copy and pasted the files from the CD into a folder), the graphics started glitching out, and the intro movie froze. So, I gave up. I'm pretty sure that I sold the original packaging, case, and disk for that game a while back as well...

However, I'll be on the look out to see if I could pick it up again sometime soon. I still have 2 and 3, and, getting the original would complete my collection. mini/smile Besides, my new laptop is a windows 8.1, so, I have a bit more hope for installation now.

(BTW, I still have the XP Desktop) mini/tongue

When I get the game again, I can PM you if I have any problems.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I set up a virtual machine with Windows XP so I could play it. I use it for more than just LEGO Island though...

uh oh!

Yeah, Like I promised I'll check it out once I'm on a different computer.  I have Google blocked on mine.  Cool that you're devoting so much time and effort into this project!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I attempted to try Unity. It just didn't work. It said scripts were missing, even though they clearly existed and I could open them. I'm just going to stick with BGE mini/smile

uh oh!