Topic: Lighting problem

A lot of the time the lightning between the frames is slightly different. How do I keep it consistent? I made sure that there's no natural light interferring with the camera, and I use a manual focus. What else can I do?

Re: Lighting problem

Are all your settings set to manual? Such as exposure etc? It isn't enough to just have manual focus, you need full manual control of all your camera settings.

The only thing I can think of is that you are taking the picture to quickly after you move the minifigure, because sometimes that can make the image a bit brighter. Also, your shadow might be the problem to.

Like Rsteenoven said, you need to have all your settings on manual. Trust me, if they aren't then the frame will get brighter, then darker, then brighter...This goes for the exposure, gain, brightness, contrast, and white balance. That might be your problem.

Or you might not have enough light from your lamps, and the natural light is still effecting your shot.

Well that's all I could think of. Hope that helps. mini/smile

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

It might be helpful to have more information on your situation.

Are you using a Webcam, DSLR, or Point-and-shoot camera?
Florescent, Incandescent, or LED bulbs?
Are you casting a shadow on the set?
Are you wearing dark clothing?
Are the curtains drawn and all other lights off in the room?

Information like this will help us determine the issue. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I have the same problem with my lamp, that is I use ceiling lights instead of my lamp (yes I said lamp and not lamps, which is another reason why I don't use it). If you look at my unlisted animation-challenge videos and my two public videos, all the shadows points the same way. The ceiling lights are fine to me because it doesn't flicker.

Are you using a Webcam, DSLR, or Point-and-shoot camera?
Florescent, Incandescent, or LED bulbs?
Are you casting a shadow on the set?
Are you wearing dark clothing?
Are the curtains drawn and all other lights off in the room?

Nearly everything is fine with my camera apart from the fact that it has autofocus. My biggest issue is the consistency of my lamp. The bulb is Incandescent and has a harsh golden glow.
There are 4 plausible reasons to why I have light flickers.

• the bulb

• the lamp itself

• the camera's focus might change when I move a minifig (but it doesn't when I use ceiling lights)

• I wear white clothing and it may reflect light, {but it doesn't when I use the ceiling lights (the ceiling lights are behind me so the light only bounces off my back)

Could it be all of above???????????

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Well, it may help if you answered the questions a tiny bit more specifically, but I'm going to assume it's a point-and-shoot, since anything else would have manual focus.

I think I've found your problem.
You see, you don't always return to the exact position when you snap a frame, and with the light coming from behind you, you're blocking it in different ways for each frame. Try using that lamp of yours, putting on dark clothing, and killing the overhead lights. That should work wonders.

The orange incandescent glow shouldn't be that bad, and you may be able to fix it in post. I've always used incandescent bulbs with no issue, so unless it's an odd kind, they shouldn't be too bad.

I don't recommend using overhead lights, and never, ever recommend being between the set and the light source. That's just asking for flicker. Also, white clothing will cause flicker, I've have terrible flicker with a yellow shirt, and white is even worse. Try black, or really, really dark gray.

Thanks Pritchard!
To expand on what I typed earlier, my lamp is about 5 years old. I know that the bulb is older than 3 years. I have left the lamp in the garage for about 3 years until I unofficially started brickfilming last year.
I recently bought an ikea lamp with halogen bulbs, it comes with its own diffuser and I quite like it. I haven't used it in stop motion yet but would you recommend halogen? Or should I switch to LED when they come out (Ikea makes their own bulbs for their own lamps and right now they're not on the shelves).

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Well yeah, a lamp that old may have problems. But it shouldn't be too awful hard to get a new bulb to fix it.

Anyway, Halogen bulbs are great.
I think SlothPaladin uses them, and his lighting is fantastic.

LEDs are good, but don't quite have the color range of halogen.
Plus, you've already got the one and don't need to spend more money.