Re: THAC XII - Starts NOW!

I'm really looking forward to your film Chris.  Even if it's not proper THAC done, it will be nice to see it finished to its full potential.  And at least you've already finished THAC sometime before, so it's not that bad that you didn't finish on time this year.

So how exactly does this reviewing system work then? If you want a top 10, you'll have to go through every single entry and score it. Right?

signature

WoutStopmotion wrote:

So how exactly does this reviewing system work then? If you want a top 10, you'll have to go through every single entry and score it. Right?

[insert Smeagol's giant wall of text on how THAC judging works here]

I've already read that ofcourse, but really? This is complete nonsense. Are the judges even going to watch all films then? Or are they just picking a bunch of random ones they think are good from the title/thumbnail/filmmaker? What if they miss a great film in the reviewing process? Shouldn't they watch all films? I'm not saying they aren't, but there's a ton of films to pick a top ten from. If you're gonna watch all of them, you might aswell score all of them.

I'm assuming this rating system works by having the judges ranking the films and just making a personal top ten and those results combined will form the final results. Right? Well a better idea would be to give points to films for various categories such as visuals, sound, story and so on. That way it won't definitely be a blurry mess past the top ten. It's not really all that hard to do.

If i'm mistaken about the rating system used, then feel free to correct me.

signature

Don't panic, the judges know what they are doing, and have years of experience behind their choices.
There are calculated and reasoned motives for doing it this way, even if it isn't ideal for everyone wanting to know their ranking. And obviously they watch every film. And most more than once.

If you look on the first page, it tells exactly how the results are found:

Nathan Wells wrote:

Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 5 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached.

@Binding Brick, There will be a thread afterwards posted with the results, although hopefully there will be a live chat right before that. We don't know yet.

WoutStopmotion wrote:

I've already read that ofcourse, but really? This is complete nonsense. Are the judges even going to watch all films then? ...

It's not really all that hard to do.

I trust that Nathan Wells and the other judges will use a fair judging system. If any films don't make the top ten, I'm sure they'll comment on the creator's thread, giving constructive criticism and positive feedback over the next weeks after the judging. If then they find any films that they missed that would have been in the top 10, they may hint at that in their responses.

They are the chosen judges for a reason. A little trust in their judgement would only make the process go through easier.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Here is how the judging works. Each of the judges creates a list of their 15 favorite films in a ranked list. They don't have to be the same 15 films. Once we have these lists I wrote a script that uses IRV or Instant-runoff voting to rank the films based on the judges feedback. Because the judges pick out 15 films each there tends to be around 30 or more films in this ranking process. We take the top 10 from the scripts ranking and discuss it to make sure we are in agreement with the list and the order.

Aquamorph is correct in every way. It's a very involved process that I believe will result in the best results. It's much better than just assigning numbers based on categories, because it involves actual discussion between judges.

As for watching all of entries: I've watched every single entry at least twice: once when they were first submitted, and again when I was making my list. I've gone on to watch a least half of the entries a third or even forth time.

We aren't leaving any film out of the process. I've worked extensively with Smeagol, Aquamorph, Funsucker and others to get their input and feedback. I firmly believe this the best, most fair and most comprehensive judging system we've had on Bricks in Motion.

WoutStopmotion, just because you don't understand something doesn't make it complete nonsense. Disagreements are fine, but please try to exercise some civility in the future. Consider this your second warning.

As for the idea of categorical rating, it's a very problematic system we've used in some past years but phased out because it doesn't work very well. Every time we use it, we get lots of complaints (fair ones I think) about how in many cases better films are ranked below weaker ones. Basically, a film is more than the sum of a set of categorical scores, and it is really necessary to judge films holistically instead of using mathematical category sums as an easy way out. You can't do that with dozens of entries. This is why hardly any professionally run contest ever gives more than a top 3 or a top 5. They want meaningful rankings. We decided that if we really worked at it we could present a good top 10.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

The judging is complete! Results will be announced LIVE in the Bricks in Motion chat on Saturday, January 10. Exact time to be determined!

That was fast!!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Awesome! I thought it was going to take a lot longer than that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/thatsfinestudios
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thatsfinestudios

"Always, and I mean always, keep the instruction books!"

Please let the chat be in the evening, otherwise I'll miss it.
Still, that was insanely fast, ya'll did a wonderful job!

Thank you Nathan for hosting this and doing such an efficient job.

Here's an idea: the judges go ahead and rank the top ten, then on all the other films they rank them on a scale of 1 to 10. That way everyone still gets feedback from experienced judges, plus there is no actual ranking after tenth place!

Jeremy Stark

That's what the directory and accompanying threads are for, Antihuman.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Yeah, but the releases forum is a dog-eat-dog world where your unlikely to get any legitimate feedback unless your already a notable member - and threads rarely go on for more than one page. It's like The Hunger Games out there...

YouTube
Max, She/They

It's tricky. Once the results are announced, I intend to write comments on some of my favorite films from the entries. I guess most of those people are probably "notable?" I don't know who is notable and who isn't, honestly, because I don't read the forums that much anymore outside of administrative matters. But I don't especially want to write comments on the entries I didn't like. What am I going to say? If I tried to paint them in a positive light dishonestly I'd be eroding the value of my comments on other films. My standards are too high for me to find merit in a beginner's film. All I can say is "You made a film! Congrats, that's great, I'm glad you did it and as you make more films you'll surely improve."

My feeling is that people who are on a similar level to each other are the most logical people to be giving feedback at the lower, beginner quality levels. That way they can build each other up. But that probably presumes a maturity those people are not likely to have, either.

mini/dizzy

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Wow!  Really fast results this time!  Excellent job, guys!

Thats a great point Smeagol. Well said, I don't see anyone arguing with that notion.

Also really happy to see the results done so quickly well done to all the great judges, and to all the contestants! Such a shame I didn't make it. Heres for next year!

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Max Butcher wrote:

Yeah, but the releases forum is a dog-eat-dog world where your unlikely to get any legitimate feedback unless your already a notable member - and threads rarely go on for more than one page. It's like The Hunger Games out there...

I do agree. That's the way with me I think...:P

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."