Topic: THAC XII Progress Thread

http://i.imgur.com/AJaFveq.png

You know the drill. Post your updates on your ongoing THAC productions, setbacks and experiences!

Re: THAC XII Progress Thread

Well I've started building my- Wait, you won't catch me that easily!

Ah, this topic!
My brother has built basic backup sets for this. If he wants to go with a city set, he'll probably add detail to it!
He has a storyboard layout drawn up, and the lighting equipment ready!

40 minutes into the contest, I've come up with a brilliant idea and I'm in the middle of scripting! I'll be looking for voice actors within the hour! mini/bigsmile

Edit: by the way, this theme is great.

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (January 2, 2015 (05:17pm))

I already have a few sets built already. Yes, I know, I'm doing it early. mini/tongue I even made an animation test (You can see it here.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

40 minutes into the contest, I've come up with a brilliant idea and I'm in the middle of scripting! I'll be looking for voice actors within the hour! mini/bigsmile

You do know that THAC hasn't started yet, right? mini/confused

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yeah, I'm kidding.

I'm going to try to do some warm-up animations tonight, then get ready for a 4 AM starting time. mini/bigsmile

Does anybody have a good idea of how long I should take with pre production, production, and post production so that I have enough time to upload.  I generally want to leave at least 2 hours to upload because my internet is poo.  So with that set how long should I script and plan the story?  I don't want to have to spend all my time writing the story and not actually making it.  Same with editing, does 5-6 hours sound like a sufficient amount of time?

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

I feel like the scripts I've done for these things have been done in under an hour, I try to keep scripts to 1 or 2 pages, if I push past two minuets the quality goes out the window.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT. EVER.

My desk is ready, and I'm planning on being there when you guys first announce the start of the contest, Nathan--or whoever. So, I'm gonna set my alarm clock for 5:50 AM.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Binding Brick wrote:

Does anybody have a good idea of how long I should take with pre production, production, and post production so that I have enough time to upload.  I generally want to leave at least 2 hours to upload because my internet is poo.  So with that set how long should I script and plan the story?  I don't want to have to spend all my time writing the story and not actually making it.  Same with editing, does 5-6 hours sound like a sufficient amount of time?

It depends.

I usually test my render/upload time before THAC to make sure I know about how long it will take.  However, that time will be different depending on how long your video is.

Last year I planned out each hour of THAC and what I would be doing.  I missed that schedule quite a lot, actually, but I gave myself extra time near the end so I still finished.

It also depends upon how long it takes for you to do all things.  Even for a non-THAC film I can write a film crazy fast, so I usually don't worry too much, but that all depends upon how long it takes you to write a script.

If script writing is going on too long, you may want to start cutting things so animation won't take too long.

Also, you might try to make the story so that animation is something you know you can do pretty quickly.  I, for instance, pull off dolly shots and dialogue very quickly, but it depends upon you.
Or you might try the opposite approach, which would be to make your film minimal length, but give it some really detailed complex impressive animation.  The advantage of this is that a film should take the same amount of time to render and upload per second regardless of how complex the animation it contains is.  Thus if those details are going to be a problem, this approach will make that portion of the race simpler.

I hope that helps.

Generally, though, I feel like around about half of the contest should be animation.  25% pre-production 50% production 25% Post.

Picking up a new AC adapter for my DSLR, as well as some macro filters and a desktop tripod this evening. Also going to check out some options for tiny LED lighting.

Also found my THAC playlist.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

This is gonna be a fun start to the contest, as I'll be traveling for the first few hours and will have to do all my pre-production on the go. Has anyone ever written a THAC script on a plane before?

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I've already got a great idea. I just gotta wait for my family to wake up so I can borrow some LEGO from my younger brothers' rooms, considering I don't actually keep any in my bedroom. mini/tongue

Got an idea.  Now to develop it. GL everyone!

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Good grief, now I've actually thought of a really good idea that is do-able, after I've decided not to enter. mini/madhead

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I have an idea. I'm going to think it over while I take a shower. It's always nice to have a Fresh Start, eh? mini/lol

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

My younger brother came up with a simple but effective story to use. I'm gonna help him develop it a bit more, then leave for work.
He has 13 hours max to make an entry; possible?

Im picking my brains at the moment trying to think.  I have lots of little ideas that if done effectively would be decent.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Already started on a script.