Topic: Motivation?

So here I am, sitting at my laptop. I have an animation a month overdue and right now I am right beside the set, all ready to be animated on...the only problem? I have absolutely NO motivation. I know what to do, all the parts are planned, everything is going great, but the audio isn't matched up, so I need to fix that, and I still have many more frames to go.

I'm sorry if I sound like an angry Starbucks customer who got the wrong coffee, but I just need help.

Have you ever had a moment where you don't want to continue animating even though you know you need to?
What did you do?
What kept you motivated?
And if you have never experienced this, what makes you motivated to continue animating?

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

Re: Motivation?

I have, and I watch my favorite brickfilms. I not only like them because of what they are about, but I find them to be very inspiring. So I get my motivation from inspiration.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I would say don't do it if you don't want to.  I guess you have to if you have an obligation to finish the video, but if not take a break and don't do anything with it until you want to again.

Right now, I'm kind of experiencing what you're experiencing, and it's tough. I guess I'd have to continue what Legocloniac said. Inspiration really can help. Sometimes, I lose my motivation because I see that my story is absolutely terrible. A well-written story can be a great incentive to help you animate it.

Oh yeah. I think every brickfilmer has gone through periods of no motivation.
So don't worry, this is perfectly normal.

I get motivated in several ways. As has been mentioned, watching old brickfilms helps, go through on the favorites you haven't seen in a while, or by looking up some classics that you've never seen before.
Another way is (strangely enough) reviewing your own work. Seeing where you're been, how far you've come, and what you've done in the past. That has helped me on a few occasions, but it may depend on how egotistical you are. Looking at what you've done on this project may also help.

That being said, you may just need a break. Sometimes being away from something can get you some perspective and either show you just how great it is and how much you need to finish your film, or reveal that it's not that important and you just need to leave it for something better.

So maybe try watching old films first, and if that doesn't help, take a break for a while. After all, it's a hobby, something you do in your free time for fun and to relax. If it's no longer fun, maybe you should think about why you are doing it instead of something else, or not so much what you are doing, but why. Sometimes it's a pressured attitude that ruins what a more relaxed and casual outlook can enjoy.

Watch your favourite brick film - the really smooth high quality one - the one that makes you go "oh yeah - that's me in a few years".

Then decide that a few years won't cut it - that's you - and its now.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Watching old favourite brickfilms is definitely a great way of getting a bit of motivation. Having a break from brickfilming, like Pritchard said, helps to bring about motivation too, because it reduces the stress we put on ourselves. If you are a fan of music, you might like to play some music while you brickfilm... I find that it's better than staying in a silent room for an hour or more mini/smile

I usually get bored of Brickfilming and start doing other things, like working on music or playing games. I have absolutely no motivation. But once i start taking pictures again, i love it and i can't be stopped! Just go on and continue editing and taking pictures.

Or usually i buy Lego or BrickArms simply to have an excuse to brickfilm with it. I don't know, buying more stuff gets me motivationed.

signature

I lost motivation for 3 weeks when I lost so many files, but the fact that there is a Holding Our Own ad announcing episode 3 in BrickJournal keeps me going, so I am not disappointing those who read this.  (and the BiM ppl).

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

What a bad brickfilm and be like, "psssshhhh I could do way better then this piece of crap." That was a joke by the way, seriously though, it happens to everyone, maybe take a break. And as everyone else said, watch some amazing brickfilms or somehting.

I have felt like that a lot before. And probably the best thing I have done is either finish your animation and then stop for a while or just stop for a while. If you really like animating, you will come back to it soon enough. but I've found that taking a short break often helps a ton. I can't go very long without animating. mini/tongue  But wen I feel overwhelmed the best thing I can do is stop for a while. Just think about it-- the worst thing that could happen. You don't finish or stop brick filming and if you like it, then... well you get the picture.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I haven't created a full Brickfilm since THAC. In between I just do tests to keep myself from becoming rusty. As for motivation and ideas...

I usually go for a walk around the neighborhood and magically come up with a video idea and just go from there. Other times I usually look at my channel and see that 500 people subscribed to my channel to watch the videos I make. I feel like i'm letting them down for not creating anything in such a long time. So, I have that to motivate me to create something.

Don't force yourself to do something you're not in the mood to do. It's like force feeding yourself when you aren't hungry.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I feel like I am quite relevant to this considering I have had several attempts of making a film since last July but never been able to due to making excuses from life events.

Even though some like my breakup, were legit. My motivation to continue brickfilming at all has been rather grim for a few years now, with random slivers of inspiration still remaining and sometimes being strong enough to push me to go on and do something.

I never understood how it takes anyone on this site "Months" to complete a 2 minute film since it takes me a dedicated saturday afternoon to usually have most of the film filmed I sometimes feel like they have very very little time or they are lieing and won't admit 80% of that time was spent not doing anything from simple lack of motivation.

Now in your case the keyword as you said is "need" too complete the film, What kinda garbage is that? You don't need to do anything, its your hobby and your film, If your making the mistake of giving yourself deadlines or raising anticipation for a film and you feel pressured to complete it, of course your motivation is gone It would happen to most people.

Just don't raise a bunch of anticipation til the film is complete, Finish it up and while your finishing the last bits of editing put a teaser or mention of it somewhere and let a day or two pass and publish it, Yes you have a finished film sitting there only seen by you, but if you need anticipation the few days is more then enough, it keeps you stress free.

Now I am not the pinnacle of treating my subscribers with any dedicated content since for the past 10 months I gave excuses over another about why I can't. And I intend to make a video explaining my past year and apologizing that some of the new fans I got from my last video are disappointed the weekly content I wanted never happened.

If your finding yourself feeling like you have to do anything just stop and take a day for something non brickfilming related, and stop giving yourself deadlines.

Last edited by [deleted1263] (May 31, 2014 (03:10pm))

A trick I like to use is to meditate.

Clear your mind and then imagine every single thing which is standing in the way of your goal, and then eliminate those feelings entirely.

Next, focus upon your desire to make the film, you must have at least some or you wouldn't even want to get motivated, take this desire and amplify it as much as you can, or as much as you need to.

After doing so, you will not have anything in your mind standing in your way, and you will have the motivation to do it.  But only if you believe in yourself.

Of course, many people aren't very good at editing their feelings as if it were a text document, but I find it quite simple if I focus.

Sometimes I get creative ideas while doing menial work: sweeping, etc.  Let your mind wander while doing such tasks; they also make the tasks more relaxing.

What always helps me is watching behind-the-scenes of movies like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Dark Knight, etc. It's way more motivating than watching other brickfilms (for me). I guess it's because there is so much awesome stuff that one would love to do himself and no other brickfilmer has done before. Watching what other brickfilmers already achieved doesn't motivate me that much. If someone already did something great and original, one doesn't want to do something similar, but something different, which is great and original too. mini/smile

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6OyVIPRLpI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoQ1mOrV8Nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRoi09nV7w

THose DVD extras are usually really in-depth.  The movie UHF has a commentary track with more info I think than any other DVD I've seen.

Lavamation wrote:

Have you ever had a moment where you don't want to continue animating even though you know you need to?
What did you do?
What kept you motivated?
And if you have never experienced this, what makes you motivated to continue animating?

Returning to the original point of the thread, because I feel like this is something we all deal with at one point or another...

Yes, although I wouldn't say I often feel like I need to animate. Animation is a thing I do because I enjoy doing it.

Out of all the things I've tried, I've not yet found a source of pure motivation. I find a profound lack of motivation to actually do anything I'm interested in. Sometimes you've just got to power through it. This is a quote I particularly like from this article:

On this particular day in the gym, there was a coach visiting who had worked with thousands of athletes over his long career, including some nationally-ranked athletes and Olympians.

I had just finished my workout when I asked him, “What’s the difference between the best athletes and everyone else. What do the really successful people do that most people don’t?”

He briefly mentioned the things that you might expect. Genetics. Luck. Talent.

But then he said something I wasn’t expecting.

“At some point,” he said, “it comes down to who can handle the boredom of training every day and doing the same lifts over and over and over again.”

To illustrate this as an animator, any big studio animator will likely tell you that they've probably done dozens of bouncy ball tests like this one, and they STILL do them! Just look at the animation on that cat mini/cat . I'm sure many animators get bored of doing them after a while, but not doing them would be worse.

When I'm not motivated (so, very often), I go out and look for what other people have said on the topic. I've gotten a lot of great answers this way (Evernote is a great program for keeping track of all these quotes and articles, btw). All it ever comes down to, however, is if I'm willing to put forth the effort. From my experience, doing what you love doesn't mean you love it all the time. At times, you might even hate it. But it's totally worth it for the result.

So, where am I at with my motivation? Eh... it's a process. I'll have great bursts of it that last for maybe a day, then I'll go another week or month without doing a whole lot. Right now I'm cutting out all the things I do to avoid getting better things done (cutting out Reddit in favor of building a set in LDD), and things are still slow. I've tried other things that have worked for a while, then something happened and I stopped.

In summary, what I do is I find out why I'm not motivated, how I can fix the problem, and then make sure to apply what I've learned. The only thing that will fix the problem is doing.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Holy crap Littlebrick, you really went all out on that response... I never really thought about animating the way you explained. The idea that professionals get to their level of skill by tolerating or being able to stand the serious repetition that practice requires was an unexpected answer. It's hard not being destracted by other things that are honestly a waste of time in the long run (Reddit.....etc.). Really, being good at anything is not about skill, but the patience you have to reach a certain skill.

Thanks mate!

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

Littlebrick's response is great. Sometimes you really do need to make a conscious effort to be a productive human being. Personally, I find it helpful to change the scenery when I'm in a rut. Go for a walk, work in the library, even just hang out on the porch for a bit. Once you get in an unmotivated spiral I find it can be difficult to "think" your way out of it; the motivation will come back to you if you ease up and allow it to.

edit: that last sentence sounds pretty unhelpful but what I mean is simply thinking your way out of negativity can be a challenge, whereas your environment can be a much more relaxed and natural catalyst for a mental change.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg