Topic: Lego Aliens (The movie franchise) ideas

I've started working on the animation and I would'nt mind any suggestions to help make the video feel more like it was from the Alien franchise.

Re: Lego Aliens (The movie franchise) ideas

It's pretty easy: if you want to make your animation feel like a movie, watch the movie.  And then re-watch.  Then look it up online and read about it.  Then watch any BTS or making-of.  (Not necessarily in that order.)

More to the point, deconstruct and analyse the movie to understand how it makes you feel the way it does.  Ask yourself: What is this movie trying to accomplish?  How does it accomplish this?  Look at all the parts and aspects of it.  How is it edited?  What camera angles does it use?  How does lighting affect the scene?  Make a note of anything that stands out to you.  Then, once you understand what the movie is trying to do and how it does it, apply it to your own film.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

It's pretty easy: if you want to make your animation feel like a movie, watch the movie.  And then re-watch.  Then look it up online and read about it.  Then watch any BTS or making-of.  (Not necessarily in that order.)

More to the point, deconstruct and analyse the movie to understand how it makes you feel the way it does.  Ask yourself: What is this movie trying to accomplish?  How does it accomplish this?  Look at all the parts and aspects of it.  How is it edited?  What camera angles does it use?  How does lighting affect the scene?  Make a note of anything that stands out to you.  Then, once you understand what the movie is trying to do and how it does it, apply it to your own film.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madcyvfuDd1qb05u7.gif

Vertigo, you've been memed-back!

I agree with absolutely with this. A while ago I started making a Skyrim brickfilm (though I never finished it, surprise surprise) but before I even thought about what specific story I wanted to tell, I went to a friend's house (since I don't have the game myself) and we spent about 20 hours playing it. I then wiki'ed a ton of stuff, both while playing and afterwards, and got clued up before attempting the script. The mise-en-scene is also vitally important; you need to make sure it looks like the source material, if accuracy is what you're going for. But Mr Vertigo's said most of this already. Good luck with your brickfilm!

PS play Alien Isolation if you haven't already. It perfectly captures the spirit of the first two films, and if you want to make an Alien brickfilm then this is worth checking out if you can.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Vertigo, you've been memed-back!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57269167.jpg

In all seriousness though, this gave me a good laugh (been going through a bit of a rough patch lately with my animation and other stuff so I'm feeling slightly depressed).

Back on topic: So yeah, the best way to do this is to watch Alien (or any movie you intend to do a brickfilm of) and analyse it.  And not just if you want to make a brickfilm directly based off of it--watching great movies and thinking about them and what they do to create the effect(s) that they do is an excellent way to improve the quality of your film-making.  Having a good instinct of what you want to do is a good place to start, but if you're fully aware of the techniques used you can take full control and elevate something good to something great.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

You should check out This Flickr, it is awesome.