Topic: Blue Snowball sounds muffled

Hey there,

I know that a lot of you use the Blue Snowball microphone around here, and I've heard that is is really great and stuff, so I bought one. But I am having an issue with it that I am unsure how to solve, and I thought that someone here might be able to help.

When I record my voice on the #1 switch, my voice sounds muffled, but when I record on #3, it sounds really sharp and clear. #2 is too low, and i can understand why, because it is for music. Is this an issue with anybody else? Is my microphone defective? Do you record on #3 instead of #1?

Thanks for the help. mini/smile

-rioforce

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: Blue Snowball sounds muffled

It's made like that, each setting is optimized for recording certain things in certain ways.
Just use whichever one sounds best for what you're recording and you'll be fine.

I typically use 3, but switch to 2 on occasion.
I've never found much use for 1.

I've recently had some problems with my Blue Snowball mic. It really started to worry me, as, it's been the best mic I've purchased since I've started brickfilming, and, If I had to purchase another mic, I'd really be tempted to get a more expensive one, since I've been "spoiled" by this jump in audio quality - I didn't think I could go back to my external computer mic days. mini/tongue

However, desperate to find a workaround, and keep my Snowball, I decided to unplug the usb chord from my computer, and instead, insert it into another usb terminal on the other side of my laptop. Boy was I surprised at what a change I heard!

Not only did setting #1 not pick up as much static background noise, but settings #2 and #3 sounded a bit clearer overall!

Long story short, I tried this "usb jumping" on my desktop as well - and had similar, but not as drastic, results.

I think that, with usb mics, (and anything usb in general) some static can go through if the metals and wires of the chord aren't perfectly aligned with the port... If one port is overused, tiny parts within could break, or strip a bit with wear. The only way to fix this static problem would be to try plugging the cord into another usb spot, and see if there's any major difference in quality.

That seemed to be the solution to my problem, at least.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I believe those are high and low pass switches.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16