Topic: Canon 550D live view problem

So basically I've recently gotten a Canon 500D which I intend to use for brickfilming, plus some extension tubes for close ups.  But when I attempt to use the extension tubes, I have a problem with the LCD screen live view.  For some reason, when using the extension tubes, the view is very dim, to the point of being almost impossible to see anything.  However, when I take a picture, the picture itself looks perfectly fine and normal.  Here's an example of what I mean (not the best pics, but it should get the point across):

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5613/15343647680_cc616fca2c.jpg

This is the live view.  Basically it's completely black except for a tiny bit of the illuminated cabinet, as if that were the only lit object in the room.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/15343461939_4995fa1d24.jpg

This is what the actual picture looks like.  I took it in exactly the same position and lighting conditions as the live view.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3940/15343460789_0c8cffc75d.jpg

(The general setup.)

This only happens with the extension tubes; when I use just the lens itself connected to the camera body everything is fine.  I've double-checked the exposure, shutter speed, etc., and there's nothing wrong there.  I've set the shooting mode to AV or M.  The only reason that I can think of is that the extension tubes are the cheap ones that don't connect the lens and camera electronically (hence no autofocus etc.), but that shouldn't affect the live view seeing as there are no optical elements inside.  Even so, none of those things would explain why only the live view and not the final image is affected.  Needless to say this is really annoying since I can't see anything.  Does anyone know what's going on here?

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (November 21, 2014 (12:21pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: Canon 550D live view problem

I'm not farmilliar with Cannon cameras, but I can understand your problem. The photo and the live view/video are independent from each other exposure-wise. The photos use Shutter Speed and Aperture, while the live view/video use exposure and don't rely on the shutter. On my Nikon D3100, the exposure it automatically controlled, so it keeps the video constantly lit. Basically, you need to figure out how to control the exposure of the live view. Maybe if you adjusted your exposure compensation or something. Like I said, I a not positive, because I have never used a Cannon camera.

EDIT: I found this article which tells how to adjust the live view exposure on Canon cameras. Good luck. mini/smile

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/ … anon-dslr/

Last edited by rioforce (October 13, 2014 (04:41pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I do know about Canon cameras, and rioforce is correct. The live view function works off of it's own set of automatic settings, completely separate from the actual taking of the picture. On thing you can try is setting the live view to exposure simulation enabled, or try what's in that article. If those don't work, you may be out of luck. DSLR's aren't designed to work with extension tubes other than the ones made by the company, in this case Canon, and those are very expensive and have a lot of fancy electronics built into them, some (or maybe all, I can't remember) have actual glass elements in them.

Hmmm, well, I just got the lens I intend to use for brickfilming (the 50mm F1.8 prime lens) and tried it out with the extension tubes, and it works perfectly--I have no issues with the live view.  Previously I had used the kit lens, so it could be an issue with that, though I'm not sure.

Though, I think I might end up returning these tubes in favour of a pair which have an electronic connection between the camera body and lens, so I can control the aperture (with this pair, I can't control it, it automatically goes to the lowest F-stop).  I thought it wouldn't be an issue, since I'd put everything in manual mode for brickfilming anyway, but I think it'd be good to be able to adjust it nonetheless.

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Enjoy using f1.8! With me, my shutter speed varies from 1/8 to 1/10 (to avoid any light flicker), so I end up having to go to like f16. Also, if this happens to you, to maintain a good DOF, get some good quality ND filters.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Can anyone tell me why the 50mm f/1.8 seems like such a popular lens for brick filmers? Typically I find myself stopped down to f/5.6 or more as you tend to have to much boka. The 50mm is not a macro lens so if it was cheaper than a 55mm f/3.5 micro lens it won't be after you pick up some extention tubes.

I have both the 50mm f/1.8 and the 55mm f/3.5 micro and I can't see a reason to use the 50mm for animation. It's great for photos of people, but it does not seem practical for smaller subjects.

I wasn't actually aware that this lens is popular with Brickfilmers.  The primary reason I'm using it is because I went to a camera store to ask about DSLRs, and the guy there recommended using this lens in combination with the extension tubes for stop-motion animation, as a way of saving money instead of getting a dedicated macro lens.  And as it turned out, my brother had a 50mm lens which he never used, so he gave it to me, which was another added plus since I didn't have to spend any money on it to begin with (though I would have bought it wither way).

However, having taken some test shots, and I've out that when using extension tubes at f/1.8 the bokeh is really over-the-top (I'll probably post some pics later).  The depth of field gets so shallow it's ridiculous--and not really practical for most shots, unless you're going for a really stylised/surreal look.  So I definitely will need extension tubes with an electronic connection to be able to control the aperture.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (October 14, 2014 (03:50pm))

Bumpityy-bump.  I'm still having trouble.  I got a manual Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 lens off eBay and want to test it out.  However, I've connected it to the camera and I'm still having this issue.  I've tried to do what the article Rioforce linked suggests, but using the Av+/- button and top dial does nothing on my camera and I don't know what else to do.  Any suggestions?

Just double check your shutter, aperture and iso. I've run into this silly mistake myself. Also, maybe you need more lights? I don't know how many lights u are using tho, so assume you're probably fine there.
EDIT: are you using your live view on the LCD?

Your camera thinks it can open the aperture up to f/2.2 or whatever the lens, so it is not correcting for how dark it actually is, the image on the back of the camera is set for your current frame rate with the aperture wide open, this is why programs like Dragon Frame have a live view exposure adjustment that goes from -4 to +4, the images on your camera are dark by design. As far as I can tell animating with a live view camera without capture software is the same as animating with an older non-live view camera.

I looked at this article which tells you how to lighten and darken the live view image but it does not work for full manual lenses.

Yeah, I realise the live view is different from the actual image quality (which is annoying, you'd think they'd design it so it's the same...).  I just wish there was a way you could brighten the live view without affecting the final image quality.  I don't need something that's exactly the same, just so that I can see what I'm actually doing.  Right now the live view is so dark I can't focus correctly or even see anything properly.

Well on a normal auto lens the aperture is opened wide before shooting and when you press the shutter it drops down to whatever you set it at, this makes it easier to get enough light in the view finder to be able to frame and focus your image, however that is why normal automatic lenses are bad for stop motion, if the aperture is released each frame tiny variations in image make it appear to flicker.

Edit: *fixed link*

Even with the aperture open at is widest, the live view is still noticeably darker than the actual image, though there is less of a difference.

That is because without being able to communicate with the camera lens the camera thinks the aperture is something like f/1 vs the f/2.2 of your lens, with no input the camera has no idea what your aperture range.

You have 3 options:

• Shoot blind

• Pony up $300 for a copy of Dragon Frame

• Get a preview light that is around 1000W and turn it off every time you take a frame

It's hard for me to understand your problem. I use Helios lenses (including that model) all the time with my canon, and I have never experienced this before.

There's a product on the DragonFrame store, I forget who makes it, that resets the live view exposure for use with manual lenses. It's pretty cool, but it costs $60, I think, so a preview light might be cheaper.