Topic: Animating without capture software

I have a Panasonic G3, which is a wonderful camera, but annoyingly doesn't allow remote capture, or even a live output to a computer. As a result, I have stuck with my otherwise much inferior webcam (a Logitech C615) for animating. But now I'm beginning to think that the benefits in quality- manual focus / exposure / aperture, closer focus, much higher resolution- of my G3 might outweigh the downsides of animating through a viewfinder, without onion skinning. How many people here do not use capture software? What have your experiences been without it?

Re: Animating without capture software

I use a capture software, but it's not as you might think. I use one of the most basic capture softwares around. It's basically a remote, but on the computer. All it does it take a picture and show it on the screen. I don't have live view, or onion skinning. I have never actually used onion skinning. Not once. With my webcam in 2011, I never found a software to onion skin with, and with my DSLR this year, my camera doesn't even support live view to the computer, so still no onion skin. I know that Squid does not use a capture software at all. He uses his camera remote, which means that he previews his pictures on the camera screen instead of larger on a computer.

Animating without live view and onion skinning is not impossible. Everyone who used a film camera or an old video camera knows this. However, today, most people do use these features because they are easy, and widely avalable. I think it helps with your animation to go the "old fashioned way" (Not really old fashioned, because we can still see the frame we just took, but you get the point). It makes you rely less and less on your software, and more on your skill.

However, I have to say that I'd love to use live view and onion skinning.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I don't use capture software. Neither does Squid, and some other people who have been around here awhile. You can absolutely make great animation without onion skinning and other tools. I'm sure the G3 has live view on the LCD screen on the back, even if it can't communicate with a computer, and that's just fine for framing, it's how I do things. Worst case scenario it's not the end of the world to frame through a view finder, I did it for over a year with my old camera. If you're used to animating with onion skinning it will take quite a bit of practice to get used to not having it, but you'll learn a lot and it will absolutely make you a better animator in the end. mini/smile

I animated without tethering, nor even remote capture for a couple of years. All I can say is that when I got my c920, and started using Heliumfrog (with onionskinning), the difference was amazing. The best part was that I didn't have to touch the camera to take a picture, which allowed for still shots and close-ups. If you have no remote capture, then the best advice I can give is to be super careful, and take your time taking each picture. As for using no frame capture software, it's very possible, as has been stated, and is sometimes even better than the alternative, as it really helps you get in tune with framing and animation techniques.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Your question's been pretty much answered, but (in my opinion) its a lot better. Importing later isn't too much of a problem.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely give it a go with my G3, though a remote will probably be necessary.

Not probably; is absolutely necessary.

Yeah if you can secure it 100% its fine, otherwise your risking yourself a lot of bumpy movement.

backyardlegos wrote:

I don't use capture software. Neither does Squid, and some other people who have been around here awhile. You can absolutely make great animation without onion skinning and other tools.

I have never used capture software. I just shoot on my DSLR and upload the images to my computer, then run them through FrameByFrame.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I've never used capture software, but I do use a remote.  However, I used to not even use a remote.  That was a little rough, but not particularly.  Adding a slight timer for 2 seconds or so helps a lot so you can take a moment to sit back and stop any wobble.

How to Not Rob a Bank was animated entirely without a remote.  The biggest problem with that one was not being able to manually adjust the focus.  Besides that it's relatively easy.
I usually tend to set the camera on the set itself.  If the camera is heavy enough, it's usually not inclined to move so long as a slight level of care is applied to the button pressing operation.

I feel like the modern touch screens on cameras bump the camera less then using the shutter button, Canon has very nice, very responsive touch screens.