Topic: Medieval Universe - brick filming Collaboration (Anyone can join!)

http://i60.tinypic.com/30vixj6.png
Hey guys.

So I noticed Jampot and Togfox beat me to this. (Jampot: Marvel Brickfilm Universe) and (Togfox: IDEA: Joint filming on the same movie, using the same mini-figs) mini/tongue

However my idea, is to really open up the Lego Medieval world. I feel that Medieval and castle in lego is very underrated in brick films which is a shame. Because it can cover so much different areas, the most notable is fantasy, history, lore and magic. But it doesn't end there.

What this Collaboration is really about is bring people together to create something on going. Now the good thing about this is, it's very flexible. For example I've already started on a script for this. But I have seperated this into several different stories, so it will never focus on one person or group everytime rather it will expand into different realms/races and characters. Currently I have 8 different tribes/fractions I want to bring in. If you don't have any of these you are able to create your own tribe or even guild and then create a short about them, however the point of this collaboration is too really connect it to the story, so below I will have the current tribe leaders and with them of course their tribe, from there you begin to create your own tribe and from what you read and see, create a story how your characters in some way or another connect to my characters and so on.

Even if they are to never meet, it is really about using your imagination to involve other peoples characters and perhaps cities and people of special interest (Heroes, kings, leaders etc.) Perhaps you will bring them up while drinking some ale with a few buddies, perhaps it will come up in a story. Or better yet if both people have the characters why not bring them in a scene together??

Its time to bring back that imagination and the best thing about this is anyone can be apart of this.

How to join:]
*Create a Medieval/castle themed brick film: In the brick film allow it to have some kind of dialog or connection to other peoples films only that connect back to this. You can also have the option to make it have no link to any others but in some way other people will be able to connect back to yours.
*Post some photos of your Medieval tribe, or character.
*Provide some information about the tribe or character of interest.
Optional Questions:
Tell us about your homeland; Is it a village, did you grow up in the city, did you live in tents?
What are you; Are you a warrior, are you a rogue? Are you perhaps a farmer, or a noble lord?
What do you seek; Do you seek Fortune? Or perhaps retribution? Why do you seek it?

Will you live in the already created kingdom or your very own? (Kingdoms represent Countries more or less).

NOTE:] If you don't have castle minifigures but want to be apart of this, I myself would be willing to put in a character for you in a short, based upon your own description of how your characters personality would be. This is also a possible option. (This also goes for people that just don't have the time to animate) (Voices are accepted).

My Eight Factions;]

The Ravlon] Lion Knights]
http://i58.tinypic.com/b5iq9g.jpg
The lion knights of Ravlon, are one of the strongest Fractions of Tavenrfall. Tavernfall is located on the far eastern border of the Kingdoms of Battlinord. They are large in number, and are the only current fraction that has their own appointed King.
The Lion kinghts normally never get into battles that are disputes between other fractions, and won't aid them either. Unless they enter the borders of Tavernfall they will not respond. Being close to the Eastern border allows an advantage for fishing, their main source of income. The fishes are sent through out fractions by a neutral party that distributes them.

The Wolf Gang:]
http://i58.tinypic.com/2hztibs.jpg
The wolf gang was once large in number, but they became targets between other fractions and rapidly died out in numbers. Few remain, and now the current leader Allgrof is recuiting new members to join the cause of the Wolf Gang. Originally the gang started in a small village known as Wolvega. Wolvega had a lot of wolves in the surrounding areas, and the people there tamed wolves as pets at the time there were very few but they grew rapidly and within a decade they had spread of the borders of Battlinord. However they became a threat to the rangers and Thracons, are quickly died out. The few remaining are now most likely in neautral zones, and never stay in one spot for too long. There still dangerous and strong as ever. Allgrof was once a trained assassin before he became leader of the Wolf Gang.

The Masked Bandits:]
http://i58.tinypic.com/25tc58k.jpg
Formerly known as ''The Beast men'' the masked bandits are the most primitive. They hunt alone, and are very precise on their target. They grew up in the wilderness, so mother nature comes to their advantage. They know the ins and out of the wilderness almost as good as the Rangers. They normally fight with spears as a preferred weapon but they are trained with swords, and crossbows as well. Their leader Sulgor, was once an enchanter. Legend has it while doing an experiment something went wrong and took away his face. He has the face of a shadow. The masked bandits originated from the Eastern lands, but Barbarians ambushed the Masked bandits and killed many, and by doing so claimed the easter lands. The Masked bandits were pushed to the west, were they finally settled but now are hungry for revenge and to claim back the lands of the East.

The Northerners:]
http://i61.tinypic.com/14jp0jt.jpg
The Northerners are vikings of the North, they live in primitive conditions without any prevail or consequence. Although they are vikings by nature. Sulfor who is their leader, has made plans to rebuild the roads of the north, and the roads that border to the south along with repairing all the broken buildings if he is too be elected as the new Governor. Northerners are up-rised in combat training from an early age. They become skilled swordsmen in their teens, and have generally mastered the sword and the ax along with the crossbow. Later on as they advance they begin to study the art of healing and 2 handed swords and axes.

The] Assassin Guild]:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2rdx6hf.jpg
The assassin Guild is much different to all the other fractions. They have all different types of races in their guild, and rather owning land of their own, they live in something known as a Guild Hold. It's like a big Stronghold thats just for Assassins. Normally they are lone mercenaries and pick up the daily job on who needs to be captured or removed. They get payed by a guild bank and is normally payed by other mercenaries or fractions, sometimes it can be from neutral parties, it can be privately done and even annoymas.
Payment to assassins is normally 20-50% deposit it just depends on how dangerous the task is and it's duration. To join The Assassin Guild you will need to be recruited as an apprentice by a master assassin or a ranked assassin. You will need to prove yourself worthy in the following weeks as it will be the hardest. You will not be honored or be respected if you are killed as an apprentice.
Assassins live dangerous lives, and are more of a neutral fraction than a fraction of its own border. They fight for gold, but don't mistake gold for glory. If they feel your job offers trouble for future income, its common for them to refuse offers, and take others in return.

The Red Thracons:]
http://i60.tinypic.com/11bkldw.jpg
Thracons are one of the most feared fraction of the lot.
They are conqueors, vikings of their own, they are also looters and thieves. The lowest of the lowest join the Thracons, yet even the mindful and skilled work beside the Thracons. Their Leader Ragoff was a skilled negotiater and master thief. He later masted sailing and merchanting. Now he has ambitions of ruling the kingdom.
The Thracons are also religious in their own way, they have their own priest, and even a healer. But they are rarely seen as they are not allowed to leave their place of duty, ever.

Lombards:]
http://i58.tinypic.com/2vb6bdy.jpg
Lombards are a barbarian tribe, but they are not barbaric. They listen to reason, but fight for cause. They have their banners set in the west, but live south west of the border. They live in Lamdens Reach, a place where the source of minerals is high, there is plenty of wheat to harvest, and plenty of ore to mine. They are rich in resources and Landens Reach is were most of the iron weaponry is made. The leader of the Lombards, is Frapgorn the second, he comes from a family tradition of his family leading the Lombards for several centuries. His father died 5 years ago, after one of his horses slid on a rocky mountain and the whole carriage tumbled down, which no one survived. Frapgorn is loyal to his cause, and his cause is to take down the rangers of the south, and to claim the forest of Alvonore, where the source of wood is rich, and the rivers ponder with fish. The Lombards and Thracons have been at war with each other for quite some time. They did make a peace treaty that was meant to stop them from fighting off each other, but borders are always being neglected and it has caused outbreak between them. The Lombards are well trained from their ancestors who were originally vikings themselves, close combat melee is in their blood and they will not surrender for no one. Lombards are all generally very loyal and would never turn on one another, they are all like family to each other, all having a similar history and childhood.

Rangers of Avonore:]
http://i57.tinypic.com/65smys.jpg
The rangers of the South, or better known as the Rangers of Avonore hold a very strong reputation for their master skill of range attacks. They are well known as the rogues of the forest, and are only seen when they want to be seen. They normally always bundle up in groups and almost never fight alone. They have mastered the skill of range, but will fight in close combat as well. Their precision is deadly, and they hardly miss. They are also merchants by trade and live by selling off items such as bows and arrows, hunted animals, and animal hides. Their leader Halgar is a solid swordsmen, but also a realist. He knows that without the help of another fraction the rangers will soon go into exile, the attacks for resources of the south rise each day, and potential threats are just the beginning. He seeks to form an alliance with another fraction to protect his homeland and his rangers.

Thats all the current fractions I have, if you want you can feel free to add your own.

NOTE: One important thing I forgot to mention is that please know that if you do be apart of this, your projects/films will and always be your own content. If the film is collaborated together, each persons film will be credited by their rightful creators. This all team effort and together we stay strong mini/smile

Also for reference for the northerners and The Masked Bandit see video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S367FkQH8IM
For Thracons and the Lombards see this video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw_I0E4SxOY

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (November 4, 2014 (06:08am))

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Medieval Universe - brick filming Collaboration (Anyone can join!)

I actually tried to incorporate a Medieval World into the BrickFilm Cinematic Universe earlier this year, but it never took off. So be warned, this may not take off; I spent months trying to get traction on the BFCU to no avail.

Also, be careful about making a similar project to something when the others are still active. Just as I said with your contest before, if you oversaturate the forums with these kinds of collab projects people are less likely to commit.

I also think it might be a better idea to first ask people if they want to join, and then come up with the factions together. On an original project like this (so unlike the MBU) people might be less interested if someone has already come up with all the factions. Part of the fun of medieval fantasy is coming up with your own. Plus, a lot of the pieces you've used are customs; some of which are expensive, and some members here are purists, so that immediately creates a problem. I think Hazzat's quote from Rioforce's topic sums it up:

Hazzat wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of these projects (including LFW) fell through as people who excitedly signed up at the start didn't feel like putting a huge amount of effort into a film that wasn't theirs.

This happened with the BFCU. The only reason Galactic Bricks and I have done the Marvel Brickfilm Universe is because we were each going to do a Marvel animation each anyway, and thought it would be fun to tie them together. So we already had the material there, and getting other people involved was kind of an afterthought, so it doesn't matter as much if it doesn't get too much traction.

What you're trying to do is what I tried to do with the BFCU, but limited to medieval fantasy, and if personal experience has told me anything, it's that you need to be ready in case this doesn't go as you hope. Which is likely. Sorry to be a party pooper, but once again I feel everyone here deserves honesty rather than "Oh yeah! This looks great! I'll definitely contribute!" and then backing out in a month's time.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Interesting idea. Like the spidey, dc, and marvel universe, they are going to crowd the box office, so good luck getting the traction you need.

Last edited by funmiproductions (November 4, 2014 (04:48am))

Hey Jampot, I do appreciate your concern and understanding.

I do agree with the contest part, because there are many contests out there for people to have fun with as of now, but the best thing about this is that there is no commitment or obligation, the only commitment there would be is if someone takes an interest and that commitment would be self achievement in finishing off a medieval short and in someway collaborating it with others!

but this is really to allow people to choose their genre of liking. For example someone might not enjoy Superheroes or maybe not castle so having that option for people will really help in that regard. As they are two different universes respectively. Also as you mentioned this was a collaboration between you and Galactic films, with no real intention of bringing in others as of yet.

I also thought about asking people first, but really members can see that as hassling them, or they want to think about it, or it may feel forced upon them. Also a lot of members are busy with their own projects at times as well Having it open like this really takes away that feeling and allows them to decide on their own if they'd like to be apart of it.
The great news about this Jampot, is that I haven't created all the fractions, these fractions are but my own to set an example of how the project works. People joing or collaborating have the right to freely expand in their own kingdom (Which more or less is like a Country). Or in the Kingdom that is available.
Thank you none the less for your concern and the link I will read through it later on and see what happened.

This page is to allow people to post their own project/film share information about their fraction/guild/clan and their characters.

the only real problem I can actually see with BFCU from what I read through colling through was all the themes are in one universe. This can be rather hard to pull off as how would everything connect in a normal lego world where all different themes collide with one another? With this it is simply making it simple and allowing members to be part of a Lego Medieval world. Where its only Medieval based.
Also it comes down to people wanting to join.
If no one joins, this will still be a project I will continue but really hope other people will too as I'd love to collaborate with other brick filmers and share new ideas, as I said their are no restrictions, or limitations. If someone or yourself for example creates a castle/medieval based brick film post it down here, and somehow if possible will connect it to the story thats what its all about, imagination and collaboration for what we love most, Lego and brick filming! mini/smile
Thank you none the less for your concern and the link I will read through it later on and see what happened.

This page is to allow people to post their own project/film share information about their fraction/guild/clan and their characters.

Thanks Funmiproductions! I know there are a lot of Dc and Marvel fans which is great to know I hope this also gets the traction I would like mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (November 4, 2014 (05:48am))

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Divine wrote:

but this is really to allow people to choose their genre of liking. For example someone might not enjoy Superheroes or maybe not castle so having that option for people will really help in that regard. As they are two different universes respectively. Also as you mentioned this was a collaboration between you and Galactic films, with no real intention of bringing in others as of yet.

I think you missed or misread a large chunk of my post. I only mentioned the MBU in passing. My main example here was the BFCU.

Earlier this year I created a BrickFilm Cinematic Universe that has nothing to do with DC or Marvel. The idea was that anyone could take part: it had a set of rules and a little bit of established canon, but anyone could make any kind of film. There was a City element, Space and others, including a Medieval world where people could do exactly what you're suggesting with this topic. I was trying to encourage collaboration and a focus on world-building, and it seemed like a popular idea for a few weeks.

Some brickfilmers and I even came up with some of our own factions and region and, though no films have been made yet, it was a collaborative effort. I still have all the data on all those factions on my hard-drive. But basically, what you're suggesting with this topic has already been done and nobody was interested enough to continue with it.

Also, when you say fractions I think you mean to say factions.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I know what you mean, I was responding in regards to the MBU, but understand that BFCU was the bigger picture.
But then again all the themes are in one universe.

jampot wrote:

Some brickfilmers and I even came up with some of our own factions and region and, though no films have been made yet, it was a collaborative effort. I still have all the data on all those factions on my hard-drive. But basically, what you're suggesting with this topic has already been done and nobody was interested enough to continue with it.

Would you be willing to share your faction with me and others? Would love to see what you created! I know you have an interest in mythology and remember you having an idea to make a film with the Hun! You already sound like the perfect collaborator for this! mini/bigsmile
The only difference between this thread and the BFCU thread is that no one produced any brick films, which is sadly why it died off I read through some of the pages there was an amazing amount of ideas going around, but the imagination was over average Squid noticed that and made a mention. Honestly I really had no idea that thread even existed. But this in its own is to be something new a medieval theme on its own, one theme, a chance to collaborate with a theme that deserves more praise in the brick filming world.

jampot wrote:

Also, when you say fractions I think you mean to say factions.

I did thank you, its late were I am! mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

I don't really know if I want to share a lot of my material, since I still have plans to use them for my own brickfilms. Funnily enough, I was thinking about the Hun brickfilm this morning, and may start planning it again later (I have a much better idea of the story now).

Actually, there were some BFCU brickfilms produced - by myself, BrickStory and JonnDthunDer - but alas not in the quantity I would have liked (despite how many people contributed in the three or four threads). I still think you may suffer from the same problem, but there's no harm in giving it a shot. I hope this bears fruit, though I'm afraid I don't think any of my plans, like the Hun one, would fit here.

Thats what collaborating is all about man mini/smile its understandable if you don't want to tho. Its good to know that hun will finally get to use sooner or later!
Oh Are you able supply the links would love to see the collaboration between the films!
The hun, being from the medieval times would fit perfectly here! Simply just mentioning ''the hun'' in one of my upcoming shorts, is enough to put you and the hun in!
Also would you be offering willing to offer VFX help if needed? It'd make things a lot less limited in that regard, and expand the magic of the Medieval world!

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (November 4, 2014 (06:17pm))

Update: The Lion Knights hallway to ?]

So I've gotten hard to work on this Medieval Universe.

I'm personally going to start with a short on the Lion Knights, without giving too much away here is a photo.
What do you think is beyond that door? And why is it so secure? Leave your thoughts!

http://i58.tinypic.com/nzolq8.jpg

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:

Thats what collaborating is all about man mini/smile its understandable if you don't want to tho. Its good to know that hun will finally get to use sooner or later!
Oh Are you able supply the links would love to see the collaboration between the films!
The hun, being from the medieval times would fit perfectly here! Simply just mentioning ''the hun'' in one of my upcoming shorts, is enough to put you and the hun in!
Also would you be offering willing to offer VFX help if needed? It'd make things a lot less limited in that regard, and expand the magic of the Medieval world!

There's nothing to stop you from having huns in your world, but please don't reference mine specifically. I actually don't want to be part of this collaboration, and the hun film will be mostly, silent, moody and introspective, closer to Ozymandias than any other brickfilm I've made.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to offer VFX either. Please don't assume that I could.

Yeah all good man, I think you may have taken what I said the wrong way. mini/sunnies

I wasn't planning on mentioning your name or your hun specifically since I don't know any details about your story or what you had in mind. I only made a reference incase you may have wanted to be apart of it. Thats alright even tho I did make a mention of a hun, it can just be left as it is or play its own role. The video type also didn't matter what it was, but I understand your perspective.

I never assumed at all, was merely asking is all mini/smile just saw you post it in another thread similiar so I thought I'd ask thanks anyway its all good in the brick hood. mini/sunnies

Now to really get back on topic, I have began and finished the first segment of the Medieval universe, having different factions to work with I will go into different factions at different times today I began with the Lion Knights. Now even though this is a scene later on this will be part of a whole bunch of segments that connect together. Now another thing that was really important for me to mention is that in these segments and the segments to come in the dialog there will be references to hint other members of future segments and what could be created.

For example, I used a hun reference as Jampot was making a hun brick film so I thought that could give him a chance if his interested, none the less its a reference for people to be able to use if say they have that characters preference or the role sounds interesting.

Please check it out and let me know what you guys think! mini/smile These segments will continue as the story builds, its like a jig saw of a puzzle, its only one piece of a large puzzle. Lets fill them up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOcLBs … e=youtu.be

Sincerely,
Divine.

I'm not going to echo what jampot has already said, however, Divine, it is unnecessary to use bolded and different colored texts all the time. If your forum posts are organized in a neat manner, there is no need for the different colors.

Last edited by Willow Tree (November 5, 2014 (10:18am))

Hi Willow Tree.

Even tho I do appreciate the concern, different colors is a personal choice and preference for me I feel it better describes the context that I write. Personally not being a purist when I write (everything black and white) I enjoy reading from different colored texts and it happens actually quite frequently, perhaps not on here (Best example is ebay) but to me its something I enjoy inputting in my threads.

Please in future lets keep comments on this thread on topic! mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Where are the beast men heads from?

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Hey Umbra-Manis,

I got mine from a lucky sale, but you can buy them on Brickforge. Hope that helps mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Special Update!]

Hey guys, today I have just finished animating the second segment - Medieval Universe - Segment 2 Interrogation.
Man I didn't believe it be so much work but this scene blew me away! Over 900 frames shot!

I have some post work to do, and its really late now, so I'll be having it up by tomorrow. It's a minute in length.

I experienced some major light flicker, again I forget about the BL problem, and suffered from it again. Good news is I was able to remove almost all of it (Thank you END films), however with the sacrifice of quality but its nothing fatal or major and I believe it was worth it.

The scene also felt a little too bright for my liking which I'll be looking at when I work on it tomorrow in post. I really couldn't believe just how much work there was too this that I wasn't expecting at all! Thankfully this segment is done mini/smile

Thank you to the fantastic voice actor of the Wolf Gang Member Allgar! Wait to you here him! mini/tongue

Here is a picture of the scene.
http://i59.tinypic.com/2zirhw1.jpg

If anyone has ideas of what should get done in the next segment please let me know! I'd love to get some ideas, I'd be happy to do the scripting and animating! mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (November 8, 2014 (10:10am))

The second segment is up!

Please check it out and leave some feedback it would be much appreciated! It was a long scene to complete!

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … rrogation/

Sincerely,
Divine.