Topic: Advice for creating Interactive Adventures?

Hi there guys,

Firstly, if this is in the wrong thread (Mod) Please move it to the right thread! I thought this somewhat being in the middle of animation would count as production.

Anyhow, I'd love to get some advice from people more experienced in regards to any tips/advice on what to do or what not to do when creating a interactive adventure? Whether it's serious, or just choosing dialog.

I'd love to get a simple idea, and whats the best way to achieve a good interactive adventure.

Its definitely something I've wanted to do for quite some time, mainly because I love how the viewers can make their own decisions for their characters and the risk is in their own choices.

I remember playing one a while back, and I actually felt like I was apart of that minifig you know, I wanted to make it to the end and win.

Any advice/tips/information regarding interactive adventures would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Advice for creating Interactive Adventures?

Well, here comes my two pennies.

Back in the day I wrote a lot of interactive stuff using Flash. Despite Apple and others not supporting it, I still believe Flash supplies one of the best and easiest to use interactive experiences. You could pick up an old copy of Flash pretty cheaply on eBay and use that to compose your story (importing film segments shot with stop motion software, presumably). Viewable on most desktops and at least some mobile devices.
I've always hated the horrible clunky youTube approach to interaction -- it's like stepping back twenty years. I don't know much about HTML5, but you could take a look at that too. No shortage of tutorials and whatnot on the web.

So good luck -- hope this helps.

Make a very good plan as making an interactive adventure is a lot of work! I remember attempting to make an entry for the 2012 Kitchen Sink competition, there were some very good entries to it (out of the few that were made).

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

You are referring to making on on YouTube, right? I don't think they are "clunky" and a "step back twenty years". YouTube annotations are not only flash, they work on HTML5 too. But that's beside the point.

You should check out Michael Hickox's Interactive Adventure as a start. Basically, you just plot out for films on paper like this:

Start - Guy walks into cave.
   |
Go left?   Go right?
   |               |
The end.     enter another room.
                        |                             |
                  fight dragon?      Have a sandwich.
                        |                             |
                    The end.            The dragon hates pickles.
                                                       |
                                                     You win!

Then you animate all of your film parts, and use YouTube annotations for the viewer to click. Those annotations can cover doors, or text, or such, and when the viewer clicks them, they go to an un-listed video (which is the next part).

Did I explain that well? I hope it helps. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Hey guys thanks for your feedback!

jahnocli Unfortunetly I am unfamiliar with flash or HTML, not a programmer myself and don't really have the time to learn it. I've used the youtube interactions before, they may be simple but its all I really need bud. But thank you none the less for your advice!

BoatsAreRockable Thanks for the advice and tip! I'll keep that in mind, thanks to RioForce that commented below you, his made that very possible!

RioForce
You have come right to the rescue. Yes I am referring to making it on Youtube.
You explained it perfectly, thank you for making that little diagram with all the info in it that really did help a lot!

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

rioforce wrote:

...when the viewer clicks [the annotations], they go to an un-listed video (which is the next part).

Sounds clunky to me, but yes, it doesn't need any programming knowledge.

jahnocli wrote:
rioforce wrote:

...when the viewer clicks [the annotations], they go to an un-listed video (which is the next part).

Sounds clunky to me, but yes, it doesn't need any programming knowledge.

It may be a bit clunky, but it is more widely available that a separate web-program/site. mini/wink

@Divine, I'm glad I could help you out. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b