Topic: Anybody Feel Sick When Taking Apart LEGO Sets?

Everybody feels differently and has a different personality, but for me personally taking apart a set is a moment of dread and then relief. As I feel like "I'll never be able to put it back together again!" Although recently I've found that taking apart sets gives me a lot of extra bricks which is really nice in animation set building xD
But yeah as I said other people don't care or even think about it and just play with it and dump it in the Lego box, but I never took sets apart when I was little... everything had to be perfect..

Anywho what about you guys? How do you feel when you take apart cherished Lego sets if any feelings?

YouYube Channel | Animator since October of 2011
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/743/BEr59a.png

Re: Anybody Feel Sick When Taking Apart LEGO Sets?

As I've gotten older, I've increasingly viewed LEGO sets as one thing: parts packs. When I buy a new set I always build it and enjoy building it. I may even play around with it for a while. But very soon I start picking at it for parts, or just sort it into my collection altogether. I keep my LEGO pretty well sorted, with hundreds of drawers and bins, so it isn't like "dumping it into the LEGO box" for me.

I used to buy a LEGO set because I thought it looked cool. Now I buy LEGO sets when I have a purpose. Also, I'm a lot more liberal with getting the specific parts I need from Bricklink, so I buy less sets nowadays. I also rarely use LEGO sets in my brickfilms, preferring to build my own designs. So there's little benefit to me keeping my sets intact. I don't collect, and I don't display. Parts are parts!

That said, there is one set I've never taken apart, Black Knight's Treasure. It was the first LEGO set I ever one, in a contest at Classic-Classic.com. I like keeping it around.

Yeah, I feel sick sometimes.

My nose starts running and my throat feels scratchy.

It's actually kinda annoying.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I don't mind it if I keep the pieces in the same pile. But most of the time Im the same.

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Nathan Wells wrote:

As I've gotten older, I've increasingly viewed LEGO sets as one thing: parts packs. When I buy a new set I always build it and enjoy building it. I may even play around with it for a while. But very soon I start picking at it for parts, or just sort it into my collection altogether. I keep my LEGO pretty well sorted, with hundreds of drawers and bins, so it isn't like "dumping it into the LEGO box" for me.

I used to buy a LEGO set because I thought it looked cool. Now I buy LEGO sets when I have a purpose. Also, I'm a lot more liberal with getting the specific parts I need from Bricklink, so I buy less sets nowadays. I also rarely use LEGO sets in my brickfilms, preferring to build my own designs. So there's little benefit to me keeping my sets intact. I don't collect, and I don't display. Parts are parts!

This describes my method of dealing with sets perfectly as well. Every word. I just might add that I keep the instruction manuals. I rarely rebuild sets, but the manuals do come in handy if I can't remember where a piece came from.

Recently, I did rebuild the base of the Mars Mission MT-61 Crystal Reaper (one of the coolest sets I ever got), so that I could build my remote-control LEGO Spybotics motor into it.

So there's my advice, timblegoorn: Keep your instructions.

I do things a lot like Nathan Wells does (except I use bags for organizing, not organizers because I keep spending my money and forgetting to buy organizers. mini/tongue ). When I buy a set (which it rare, because I only shop on Clearance, but can usually get good deals there), I build it by the instructions, take a few pictures of it, and set it on the shelf for a few days. Usually, I start picking so many parts off the set that it's not even recognizable as a set anymore. Just a pile of bricks. Then I sort them out by color. I never dump them into a big bucket, because cleaning up my room usually takes hours and hours after I finish a film, and that with organizing, so I'd hate to see what would happen if I had to dump a big bucket of random bricks on the desk/floor. The only set I've ever dumped into a bucket is a Chima set I got for cheap, and the only reason I haven't sorted it is because it's got a lot of light blue and purple pieces, and I have nowhere to put those colors.

But yes, I do hate taking apart sets. I finally came to taking apart the Destiny's Bounty, but since it's such a huge set, I just couldn't put it to parts, I put it back into the box (except for the minifigs and some accessories I might use) for later building. I too keep my first (and second) LEGO sets built on the shelf collecting dust because they are so small (and the first one is so broken it's useless except for being on a shelf. mini/lol ).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

My little brother takes his sets apart for entertainment. But, I usually like to keep mine intact, unless I want to build a set for a film out of their pieces.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Nope, I don't like the efford of taking them apart but it isn't emotional. Most sets I never bother building. Large sets (modulars, basically anything over $100) I will build and may or may not leave built. Modulars I leave built because they are good for quick backdrops. Even as a child it was all parts and never built sets in my room.

Sets are just parts packs, to be sorted and used at a later time. Instructions for most sets I also don't keep since they are available in PDF and are heavy and bulky to store.

I took apart Dol Guldur the other day, and started to regret it halfway through so I just kept one of the small towers intact. Don't honestly know why - maybe so I haven't foreclosed on all my Orcs? mini/lol

Most sets I'll take apart after a few months, but some I keep together for years. In May I took apart the Medieval Village set, which I've left intact since I bought it in 2009. Likewise, when I bought Toa Ignika next year, I took apart his skyboard but didn't take the Toa figure apart. I guess we all just get attached to things: some sets you buy for the parts, others you buy for the model itself. If I had any modular buildings I doubt I'd take them apart, since they have so many uses, but with polybags I don't bother building them 50% of the time, and put their pieces straight in the bucket.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

...but with polybags I don't bother building them 50% of the time, and put their pieces straight in the bucket.

Why not build them? It takes just a minute, and you might learn a new building technique. I always seem to learn something when I build a LEGO set. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Normally I can't be bothered, unless it's something fun that I might actually use, like the Monster Fighters coffin car. The Star Wars mini models are fun, but a lot of them are very basic builds and I don't have any use for them.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I either buy a set because I really like the model, in which case it's built and stays built at least for a while (these are usually Star Wars sets, cause I'm a huge nerd and like having them on a shelf), or more commonly, I buy a set because it has bricks I want, and it gets sorted out immediately, never to be built in intended form.

Never.  I have instructions, so I can rebuild.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Not really. Like HoldingOurOwn said, I have instructions.

I un assemble sets for option parts or to "kitbash" each set into one like older bionicle sets recommend you to do. i don't seem to care for the sets that exist but i only disassemble my sets make MOC's that lego has no possibility of making.

When I buy a set (which is rare nowadays) it is to add to my small collection. But for the last few years, instead of buying sets, I buy specific parts from either ebay or bricklink.