Topic: Filming with two cams at once - am I nuts?

I currently use a HD lifecam webcam (it's awesome) to brick film but I'm seriously considering buying a second webcam (same or different) and operate both at the same time.  They are both USB so I can plug them both in at the same time.  My capture software can only read one device at a time, but if I run two instances - or two different capture programs (eg monkeyjam and heliumfrog) then I can have two camera's on set getting two point of views for a moderate level of overhead and post-production effort.

It can also let me film two sets at one time - the same project or different projects.  I can have the cam on one set, locked down and unmoving and then when there is a pause because I've ordered a crucial prop from bricklink, I can simply take my second webcam to a different set and continue filming, leaving the first webcam undisturbed.

Live motion producers usually have oodles of camera and hardware flowing out of boxes.  Is my idea so strange?

If you're looking for a HD webcam, you can't go past this very affordable lifecam.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1//products/lifecam-cinema/ic_lcc_2_ci.jpg

Last edited by togfox (September 11, 2014 (08:56pm))

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Filming with two cams at once - am I nuts?

You can go past it with a Logitech C920. mini/smile
The daul camera idea sounds interesting. I can't wait to here about the results.

Twice the price - but yes - also has very good qualities.

Aka Fox

I think the most common use of multiple cameras would be something like a sitcom where you have a couple cameras with longer lenses for some close ups/reaction shots with another camera with a wider lens for the 'master shot'. You might also see some setups like this for action shots.

The problem with a webcam is you are stuck with an ultrawide angle lens, so if you want some close up shots the camera it's self will have to be very close to the minifig. Sometimes people worry about DSLRs not being able to get very close, but if I did a setup like this I could have the wideshot with a 24mm or 35mm lens and the close up shot using a 105mm lens with some extensions on it and both cameras would be a foot or so away from the set and neither camera would be inside the others shot.

And additional problem with two small cameras you have to position very close to the set is you now have two cameras you have to worry about bumping as you animate. It is true that you could switch to the other camera is you bump one, but cutting at bumps is going to ruin any good creative cutting choices you might have.

In addion you will need to light your set in a way that looks good to both cameras, if I change camera angles it usually takes me a bit (sometimes hours) to set the lights up to work with the new angle, you might end up with only really plain lighting options, or need even more complex lighting setups then before.

togfox wrote:

It can also let me film two sets at one time - the same project or different projects.  I can have the cam on one set, locked down and unmoving and then when there is a pause because I've ordered a crucial prop from bricklink, I can simply take my second webcam to a different set and continue filming, leaving the first webcam undisturbed.

This seems like a real stretch, if you need to order something from bricklink there is no way your set, camera, and lights wont get bumped or just sag while waiting for the part, I would bet money you never end up using your extra camera for something like that, and I really doubt you have enough lights to have two sets independently set up at one time, I always want just one more light when I make stuff, spending money on lights is typically a much better investment then spending it on cameras

I didn't mean to start a dslr vs webcam debate but you do have some good points.  I'm thinking two cams for action shots might be handy but it is also likely that action shots involve moving/panning/tilting camera's.  You wouldn't commit to moving TWO camera's unless you were certain you were going to benefit from it.

Edit: adjusted the thread title a little.

Last edited by togfox (September 11, 2014 (08:57pm))

Aka Fox

I really don't think my post was a debate, it just highlights the reality of some of a webcams shortcomings, keep in mind if both cameras are about the same distance from the set you aren't going to get much use out of the two takes unless the camera angles are dramatically different (cutting between two simaler shots is just bad editing and can be visually disorienting) Just keep the 180 degree rule in mind when you are setting up your shots.

imo, I feel like one of the largest problems would be that you would be hard pressed to hide the cameras from each other, due to the set being so small in comparison to the cameras, versus in live-action the cameras aren't nearly as large in comparison to the set. And like sloth mentioned, to get the lighting good for both cameras would often result in flat lighting, or else would take forever to set up.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

I agree with Sloth, it seems like a waste of money to me. You're probably better off saving the money for lights, or more LEGO, or something else.

yeah, i only do multi-cam when im shooting live stuff, not animation.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

I agree with everyone else here. You could save the money for lights, LEGO, or even a DSLR one day.

Sidenote: Dragonframe can handle interchangeable cameras.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Hey, George Lucas did it. mini/wink mini/bigsmile

My life goes by 24fps.
Another free stopmotion program? Possibly! View here! http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 6/#p274396

CyberCom wrote:

That's not a good thing

AquaMorph wrote:
CyberCom wrote:

That's not a good thing

Also he does live action while we are talking about stop motion. mini/smile

live action, stop-motion, it still comes out to be a film. I'm not discouraging you on using more than one camera, but it would be more practical to just use one. But hey, I've animated with two cams at once, and it's not as bad as it seems.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

AquaMorph wrote:
CyberCom wrote:

That's not a good thing

That's the joke. mini/wink

Now, to be on topic, I actually was doing something similar....
Maybe to have extra takes to consider if you- well I just thought about it now. If you fluked a scene with your main camera, the secondary camera would have picked up the same.

I do use a second camera to act as a viewfinder though.

Last edited by CyberCom (September 16, 2014 (01:32pm))

My life goes by 24fps.
Another free stopmotion program? Possibly! View here! http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 6/#p274396