Topic: Implements that could benefit the forum/site and members (suggestions)

Being on this forum for some time, I have noticed some things that could be implemented that could excite current and future members of the bricksinmotion community.

Here are my implement suggestions for the forum:

Post Count]: Now I think Post Count on forums is really a great feature to have for any forum for that matter. It really tells you a lot about the person, in regards to how active he may be, how frequently he posts or just generally if his a heavy poster or not. Not only this but this also could create more active members to get there activity more recognized. Sure it could cause more spammers, but spammers are everywhere and theres always going to be spammers on forums they just need to be dealt or warned accordingly. I notice that you can see how many posts you've made on your profile but it's private from everyone else.

Rank System]: Following up from Post Count comes my next implement that follows from the Post Count, a Rank System. So how this works is for example. If a new member joined BIM on his status it would say New Brickfilmer or Noob. Then for more experienced members say members that have 200 posts could have the status ''Brickfilmer'' or ''Iron Poster'' It doesn't exactly have to be relative to the actual subject of the forum this status could be more for how active the person is or by how many posts his made. I honestly think this could be a really nice feature to add on to an already great forum but all in all I believe it could be so much better. Not only this but it would also substantially create and bring in more active members wanting to get those different ranks.

Time monitor]: The time monitor is the last implement feature I'd like to mention. How this works is by being under the status/posts and letting the community know just how active you are. It would be a 24 hour system and only works while your active on the forums, if you leave the forums logged in and afk the timer automatically pauses until your active again. That way earning time is earned by actually spending time and participating on the forum. For example, if I've been on the website for the past week and all up I've spent 3 hours 45 minutes. That would be my under my posts/ranking. For someone more experienced and with a lot more time it could be 32 days 16 hours. This timer works by minutes then extends to hours then finally days. 32 days X 24 hours equals: 768 hours.

So what do you guys think? Could this be done? I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Implements that could benefit the forum/site and members (suggestions)

Well, post counts already exist, and I'm afraid I don't see the benefits of the other two, especially the rank system. BZP has one and it's convoluted, and also I don't like the idea of turning posting into a competition. Giving a new member the rank of 'Noob' is just encouraging them to spam the forums, IMO.

Sorry, but I don't think these ideas are all that great.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

If people are posting here just to get recognition, they're probably here for the wrong reason. Sure, there's nothing wrong with being active, but the whole point of the site is to talk about brickfilming and hopefully to actually, you know, do it.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I have been on the LEGO Message Boards which has a rank system which can lead to spam, topics about how to rank up, and general focus on ranking up instead of just participating. It can also lead to sub par posts and topics (especially in the hands of younger posters).

Post counts do already exist but why aren't they publicly shown?  It's not for competition rather to show activity on posts and how frequently the user posts on the forum.

Is it not still important to notice how active members are by having some implements such as post count if nothing more?

I can understand what your saying none the less @Jampot, @LittleBrick.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

There could be a thread just for posting spam, where its off topic of course guidelines and rules would still apply and for the spam section there would be no post count.

Some forums can't control posts or topics like others I feel this forum does have the potential to do it. But of course this is only suggestions.

Topics of how to rank up are a bit absurd those topics could easily be locked or closed by a Moderator/Admin.

(Sorry for double post)

Sincerely,
Divine.

I honestly don't like any of the suggestions. Seems like they are more trouble than they are worth.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

@Brickelodeon Almost all forums have at least public post count why do you feel they more trouble than they are worth?

I'm just wondering why the post count isn't publicly viewable.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (August 30, 2014 (07:41am))

One can see how many posts you have made.  You have posted 134 times.

As soon as you turn anything into a competition, it becomes more of a race than anything else. People, even though it effects nothing at all, will try to have the highest post count, even if it means making spam posts in every thread. While it's not meant for members to compete, that's what will inevitably happen, and then the fun stops.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Divine wrote:

There could be a thread just for posting spam, where its off topic of course guidelines and rules would still apply and for the spam section there would be no post count.

Spam posts aren't encouraged, but are tolerated to an extent in these forums, as sometimes they can be productive. However, an entire dumping ground for spam wouldn't be productive, and would end up causing more spam in the rest of the forums if users got into the mentality that spam was okay.

Divine wrote:

@Brickelodeon Almost all forums have at least public post count why do you feel they more trouble than they are worth?

We're not almost all forums, though. BiM is a forum for an incredibly niche hobby, and as such we have very few members compared to forums like Comicvine, Eurobricks or BZPower (which aren't even the biggest forums I can think of, just the ones that spring to mind first). We're a small community - most people know most people here - so it wouldn't be appropriate to start encouraging people to compete for having posted the most.

On every Wiki community I've spent time in, the 'most active' users try to throw their weight around like it gives them actual authority, which is something that culd easily happen here if new members thought that getting the most posts would automatically entitle them to the absolute respect of long-time, hard-working brickfilmers.

And the post counts are already visible, just under where it says your location. You've made 135 posts, Brickelodeon has made 403, Greenshirt has made 217, and Littlebrick has made 2,148. All members can see them.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Brickelodeon I can understand what your saying, again this wasn't meant to support competing against each other but I understand your point. It's valid.

I can understand what your referring to Jampot, and realisticly you do have a lot of valid and true points regarding the facts.

I appreciate the responses none the less if I think of any other suggesstions I'll be sure to mention them.

Also Jampot I'm a little confused because I am not able to see visible post counts from anyone, I've never been able to infact. I can only see my own when I click my profile.

Is something wrong on my end? If I was aware of this I would have never suggested the post count implement.

Can this be checked on my end?

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (August 30, 2014 (08:10am))

To see anyone's post count, just go to their profile (by clicking their username) and then click "See all of (insert person's name here)'s posts". At the top of all of the posts, it should say "20 out of (however many posts they've made).

The only thing public post counts do is serve people's egos.

The Refugee Camp had visible post counts and it led to some kids posting a smiley face or "lol" in every thread just to bump their count. Removing it was very well received.

As others have explained, these suggestions are things we've avoided for a reason. Visible post counts / rankings incentivize high quantity of posting, but not quality. In my opinion there's no title or distinction somebody should be able to earn on the basis of mere volume of posts. I'd rather that site members be treated as equals to the extent that is possible.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

None of these ideas will benefit the forum or the members. Having a thread for posting spam is just dumb, there are all ready post counts, ranks are stupid especially if one of them is noob. Seriously, I have no idea why anyone would think of any of these ideas to be useful.

Since we have a clear consensus here, I'm going to lock this thread to avoid it getting too meanspirited.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png