Topic: Is it okay for LEGO capes to get wet?

I have an idea for a 25% stop motion 75% live action short that involves a LEGO Minifigure getting physically wet. His character wear the cape found on some Gandalf Minifigures from sets like the retired "Gandalf Arrives" set. Every cape comes in a cardstock box. For this reason and others I'm worried about getting this cape wet. I can remove it, but it would look better with the cape on. What's your opinion?

Re: Is it okay for LEGO capes to get wet?

I've gotten capes wet a couple of times, and they seem to shed water pretty well. They probably come in the box so they don't get crumpled.

Okay thanks. Preproduction complete!

Don't do it! They'll melt!

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Oh no! I already did mini/tongue

I was wondering about this same thing the other day. LEGO capes are actually made of "broadcloth", and you can even buy that kind of material at a fabric store, so I'm glad it doesnt melt or anything. mini/tongue Capes with decals, however, is another story. I don't know how the decal is applied and if it will run or not, so I guess someone brave would have to test that one.

(Reference: http://minifigcustomizationnetwork.com/howto/899)

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm thinking about retaking the shot. So after about eighteen hours of leaving it to dry I will get it wet again.

I accidentally ran a cape through the washer and dryer, and luckily it came out okay.

I probably wouldn't recommend that, though.

Capes are very delicate and should be treated with great care, but they can get wet.  Generally one should avoid crumpling or bending them or putting them in a bin or else they'll get frayed.  I sometimes need to wash a cape so I run water over it and then hang it on a pole for it to dry.  I newer cape might end up slightly less stiff afterwards, but it should stay in a good condition.

Handwashing and air drying Lego capes (or any other cloth Lego material) works well.
I don't recommend throwing them in the dryer. I've had pirate sails fray due to a round in the dryer.
Putting them on top of the dryer while it's running is also a good way to dry them.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

The thing is I'm going to dump a cup of water onto a Minifigure with a cape, and then I will jut lay it on my desk overnight to dry.