Re: BRAWL 2014 IS OVER!

THANK YOU!

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

It's seriously not that big of a deal. It's a contest, with rules, and prizes. The whole point is to follow the rules. The whole logo thing isn't that terrible. It can go in the end credits for *dun dun dun* 3 seconds and then it's over.

It's not that bad.

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

Well, I've found a clever loophole to have it be in the film and it will be seen but it really won't be in the film and no one will see it.  With this loophole I can still do it.
So I will enter.

A loophole?

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

END films wrote:

Technically this rule was added afterwards so it shouldn't count.

Hmm, I could swear I had seen this rule mentioned in the first thread, but I'm not seeing it now. Regardless, if it's in the contest thread when the contest period begins, that's not unfair.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised at the backlash this is getting. You don't have to write "brickwarriors iz da best". Just throw a "BRAWL 2014 Sponsored by Brickwarriors" with the logo into the credits and you should be good to go; no one is going to assume you're hawking their products.

Squid wrote:

Well, I've found a clever loophole to have it be in the film and it will be seen but it really won't be in the film and no one will see it.  With this loophole I can still do it.
So I will enter.

Is this loophole making the credits 144p?

Lavamation wrote:
Harborlight Productions wrote:
END films wrote:

Like the look of the prizes. mini/lol

Anything free that might be useful for my films I'll try and take. mini/tongue

I don't see what the big deal is. Can't you just put it at the end of the video with the Brawl logo? I mean it doesn't really effect the video its self.

I just said I will. mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Putting a logo in the credits for 3 seconds isn't going to harm the artistic integrity of your film. Remember, it's not required to be in the body of your film. Just stick it in the credits after your logo or something, and say "Made for BRAWL2014, sponsored by Brick Warriors."

If you choose not to enter, that's your choice, but I do not think it is unreasonable to put the logo of someone who is graciously providing the prizes for free.

Previous brickfilms contests have required logos before without any outrage. This contest shouldn't be the exception.

Hehe, I found the loophole too... mini/sunnies (Although, I'm not necessarily going to use it...)

Still working on a story though. I've never had so much trouble with one before...

Last edited by rioforce (July 19, 2014 (06:00pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I never said I wouldn't do it. I would've preferred not to use but mostly I didn't want Squid not to enter.

Haven't posted or even been on the forums in a long time (my profile says it's been since January 1st 2013, wow), but I just wanted to pop in and say how awesome it is that the contest I started 6 years ago is not only still happening, but from the looks of it has gotten really popular.

For those that don't know, I came up with the idea for BRAWL back in 2008 basically after thinking "What if THAC lasted a week instead of a day?", and ran it for the first couple of years. But the second year I ran it (2009), getting the results out took me forever and a lot of people weren't happy with that (especially since I purposefully delayed them further since people were complaining, which to my high school freshman mind sounded like a perfectly reasonable thing to do), so I decided to hand off the duties of the contest to a willing volunteer (Goliathan I believe).

Coming back here now, I'm glad I made that decision. It looks like the contest has grown far more than it could have under my leadership, and seeing it mentioned on the front page of the site is really cool. I haven't brickfilmed in years (although I do think sometimes about coming back to it), but this community still means a lot to me and it's awesome to know something I created has had a lasting impact on it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the people running it and who have ran it since I handed it of, as well as to anyone who's entered or who wants to enter. Good luck with all your films and Happy BRAWLing!

-Munzapoppa

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

Squid wrote:

I refuse to do this.
I would be happy to enter without it without any chances of winning a prize, however, I do not like making my film look like an ad.

Showing a company logo for 3 seconds does not make your film an advertisement. It's simply a small favor to BrickWarriors for being generous enough to provide prizes for the contest. It's not a new concept to brickfilming contests, I'm not sure why this is a big deal now.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I have to agree with Squid; it feels forced, especially since some brickfilmers are purists and may not like to use/be associated with 3rd-party brands.  It seems a bit cheap and going against artistic integrity too.  And, as mentioned before, you didn't specify it beforehand so there's that.

Including a digital logo is completely different from including off-brand LEGO parts. Including a logo does not make your entry go "against artistic integrity."

END films wrote:

Technically this rule was added afterwards so it shouldn't count. Maybe there should be no prizes given to people without it but they should still be able to win. Why would a logo promote something that I wouldn't use? mini/rolleyes  Also, could the logo count as gore? mini/eh

Technically, all rules are released at the start of the contest. The only reason some rules are put in the announcement thread is so you get a general idea of what the contest if going to be like.

Squid wrote:

So I will enter.

I think I've figured out this "loophole", so I would like to point out an update to the rules.

The Rules wrote:

In addition to the MOD elements, you must show the BrickWarriors Logo in your entry for at least 3 seconds and must be clearly visible; this is our way of thanking them for sponsoring the contest. You do NOT have to show the logo in every shot, you only have to show it once in the entire film, it also does not have to be part of your physical set and can be inserted digitally.

Squid, you're a very talented brickfilmer, I would hate to see you quit for something like this.
I would like to close this post with one last quote

Nathan Wells wrote:

Putting a logo in the credits for 3 seconds isn't going to harm the artistic integrity of your film. Remember, it's not required to be in the body of your film. Just stick it in the credits after your logo or something, and say "Made for BRAWL2014, sponsored by Brick Warriors."

If you choose not to enter, that's your choice, but I do not think it is unreasonable to put the logo of someone who is graciously providing the prizes for free.

Previous brickfilms contests have required logos before without any outrage. This contest shouldn't be the exception.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (July 19, 2014 (06:12pm))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Each time a contest has done this before I've never entered because I didn't want to do that.  But this wasn't said to us before and I mislike new rules being brought up after the time of the contest has has already actually begun.  I also don't even want the prizes and just wish to enter for the spirit of the contest as usual.  Even such a small thing does bother me, and I'd very much not like for this to ever occur again.  Despite others not having strong negative feelings towards having a such small thing at the end of the film, I feel quite annoyed by it.  And nothing will change that it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Nonetheless, it seems you're not willing to let me not have it even if I don't want the prizes, so I guess I must enter and comply.  I'm not going to be happy about it, though.  If I do it I'll feel dishonourable for commercializing my video, but on the other hand I'll also feel dishonourable for having not made a BRAWL video when I said I was planning to do so.  Thus I'll feel bad no matter what I'd do, so I guess I'll take the option which will likely only make me unhappy.
I'll even make it big, nice and big, it'll take up the whole screen, just to make sure that you now it's there.
And three seconds? Ha!
I'll go to four.

I have a question. Do translucent pieces count as Orange and Red, or do I have to use solid colors?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Before any variation of the colour has worked as long as it's clearly that colour.

I'm using a lot of dark red and a lot of a more soft orange colour as well as a staff with a trans version of the mod.

I got no orange pieces, unless I go buy some more. Do yellow pieces count as a light orange? Or I've got the brown pieces from the modular town hall that could be a dark orange.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Orange can be uncommon, I thought it might never be part of a mod for that.

Do you have trans orange?  That's usually a more common shade.  Though, I am pretty sure that the town hall's colour counts as a shade of orange.  I hope so at least, because my film depends upon it.

rioforce wrote:

I have a question. Do translucent pieces count as Orange and Red, or do I have to use solid colors?

Translucent pieces do count as the right color.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

I got no orange pieces, unless I go buy some more. Do yellow pieces count as a light orange? Or I've got the brown pieces from the modular town hall that could be a dark orange.

Yellow does not count as orange. The brown pieces from the town hall look orange enough, so you may use those (or use the letter mod).

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Fun Sucker wrote:

Please send all entries to [email protected] with the title of [“Your name” BRAWL 2014 Entry] by 12:00 am (00:00) GMT on July 27, 2014 (Greenwich Mean Time) with a link to your video.

So when you say "Your name" does that mean our username, or our actual whole name, first name, last name and all?

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

I won't be entering (I have a big brickfilm project currently in the works) but I want to wish you all luck!

Its always fun when BiM has these big brickfilming contests. I can't wait to see all your entries. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png