Topic: Creativity in licensed IPs

There are a huge number of licensed IP brickfilms out of there, including by a lot of us (myself included - one of my projects this summer is an Avengers animation). There's nothing wrong with that, and I actually think it's quite a healthy process; it can be good a good exercise when developing as individual brickfilmers. The only problem is that a lot of younger brickfilmers tend to copy what they see popular brickfilmers do, leading to lots of the same video being created.

What I'm wondering is if there's any merit in trying to get that interest in doing Star Wars/Marvel/Hobbit/CoD animations that people have and attempting to funnel it into something more creative. Rather than the traditional cynical or toilet humour comedies, or needless fights that are oversaturating YouTube and the BiM directory, what do people think about trying to encourage these young animators who have the desire to make a brickfilm but want to use a licensed IP into trying to come up with something a little more original with it?

For instance, we constantly see Batman animations, and of those many of the more recent ones are Batman and Aquaman fighting Mr Freeze. If possible, we could try to encourage someone who wanted to do a Batman animation into using a minor villain, or a different DC hero altogether. That's just an example.

The point of this is that if you started clicking the 'related videos' from one of these animations, a lot of the time you'll see that the same things get done over and over again, and it doesn't matter how good your Mr Freeze animation actually is, people will get bored of seeing the same plot.

What I'm trying to say is, can we steer the people who want to do licensed IP brickfilms away from doing plots that have been done before?

I think this approach might also be more encouraging for those who might want to brickfilm long-term than going 'Uh, this is ghastly because it's another Clone Wars animation'.

Just sayin'. It's a thought. I don't know how we might go about doing this aside from just dropping comments on peoples' work and saying "Great, but have you ever thought about ___". This may also sound controlling, which I'm not wanting to be.

Just a thought.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Re: Creativity in licensed IPs

I love the thought behind this, Jampot, however, I think that doing over-done stories can be a little tempting at times.

I don't mean to bash the current-running show "Beware the Batman," however, I personally hate it.

Spoiler (click to read)

Alfred's bald, and not a very good butler. There's this Chinese girl who helps Batman, but never takes up the mantle of Robin, Batgirl, or Batwoman...

My main gripe with the show is the lack of recognizable villains.

I have nothing against using unknown villains, however, when they actually start to tease you about their "lack of famous foes," it starts to get annoying. In one episode, that features Metamorpho as the antagonist, (He can shape-shift, very, very similar to Clay Face) during his creation, he is locked into sealed chamber, which is then filled with green gas. - Not only is the scene played up to look like it's the creation of the Joker, but, once Metamorpho starts destroying things, you pretty much assume he's Clay Face. Not until half-way through the episode do they finally say his name, and when they do, it seems like it was just read off of a script. - That was probably the final nail in the coffin on the show for me.

Another example for my case is that, even though I do really like the newer Spider-Man reboots with Andrew Garfield, however, I feel like they were purposely avoiding using the same villains that were in the previous trilogy. There's nothing specifically wrong with that, but, I just always had the impression that the filmmakers weren't specifically happy with the villains given to work with. The original trilogy just seemed to fit together better, the writers using their characters to their full advantage within the story. (Even if they were way cheesier!)

I wanted to see an incarnation of the Joker on "Beware the Batman," I wanted to see a Doc Ock in "Amazing Spider-Man 2," I wanted to see Jaws make a return in "Skyfall," and, I want to see a Force Unleashed/Star Wars cannon crossover in "Episode VII..." And, though these things haven't/probably won't happen, they're still possible in the realm of fanfictions - they can be created in a brickfilm.

On your side, though, we don't want to see these stories again, and again, and again - especially when their done by amateurs. All of the "two guys sitting on a couch" brickfilms, that were prevalent in the earlier days of brickfilming. did get annoying and predictable at times.

However, Nathan Wells is still doing his Alex and Derrek series; just proving that one can stand the test of time, if you are committed to your ideas. Sure, your IP-based brickfilm may get a lot of views on Youtube, and little feedback here, but, I know that I don't make brickfilms for views, or even comments. I just make them to entertain, and, If I am entertained, and it's getting views, then I know that I've done my job.

Though, you're right, Jampot. We don't really want a saturation in the community. However, I'm not really sure on how we could change that... at least not very soon. (But, just remember; Smeagol's first video was a Star Wars video, if I remember correctly. And, just look how far he's come mini/tongue )

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Metamorpho's not even a Batman villain. He's not even a villain. What are they doing? They should have stuck with The Brave and the Bold. That was legend.

I think there's a difference between using lesser known villains for the sake of being different, and using them to be extra creative. You make the TASM2 argument, but Electro in particular is a set-up for Doc Ock to appear again (in the Sinister Six movie). The thing about Amazing Spider-man is that it's actually too hot off the tail of the last movie series, so there needs to be some variation to start with to prevent viewers being as cynical as they could be. I mean, they may be cynical about it anyway, but it would have been a lot worse if Green Goblin had appeared in the first Amazing Spider-man.

But also, why do something again if you perfected it the first time? Spider-man 2 was the best of both series, and its version of Doc Ock was absolute perfection IMO. I don't know that I want to see another one, as it won't be as good as Alfred Molina.

Dyland wrote:

But, just remember; Smeagol's first video was a Star Wars video, if I remember correctly. And, just look how far he's come

That's not my point. I personally am all in favour of licensed IP brickfilms as much as I am of original brickfilms. What I'm asking here is if we can encourage variation within that, as a lot of less experienced brickfilmers tend to produce the same films. I'm well aware of Bane of the Sith, which is in my opinion the best possible example of why licensed IP brickfilms are a healthy part of the community and in some cases even an individual brickfilmers' development as a filmmaker. Sorry if I didn't make this standpoint clear in the initial post.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Thank you, Jampot, for clearing up your main points for me. I do love to watch brickfilms featuring IP's, and, do think some regulation/quality control in the promotion of these films would be best. - Though, perhaps we tend to see a lot of "bad" films that are based around IP's because those films get the most attention. I have seen (though rare) original stories that are pretty badly written as well.

I think that, funny enough, this comes back to the current discussion (Week 7) of Nathan Well's discussion. - Perhaps it's the writing and inspiration that needs to be built upon; Instead of trying to filter the water at the end of the hose, maybe we need to inspect the well. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with making spoof IP films (Star Wars in particular).
The thing that really bothers me is when someone, or a popular brickfilmer, makes an IP film…then it seems like everyone out there in internetland has to make the exact…same...film as well. The truth is that you can take something so simple as two characters from a popular film universe and put a different perspective on it not previously explored in the original movie.
This film is a great example which comes to mind.

I guess the only things that I can think of to avoid thousands of films of the exact same thing…
Think outside the box. Look at things from ____'s perspective. Then explore it and expound on it.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

dewfilms wrote:

I guess the only things that I can think of to avoid thousands of films of the exact same thing…
Think outside the box. Look at things from ____'s perspective. Then explore it and expound on it.

That's what I'm wondering if it's possible to encourage. Like I said before, there's no problem with making licensed IP brickfilms, but a lot of them can be quite unoriginal.

One way to encourage creatively not just in licensed work, but in general is to pay attention to creative films. Comment on them, give your opinion, hold them up as an example of good filmmaking. I look at the releases forum on here, and each film will get maybe one or two bits of feedback and that's it. If we reward good work, more can follow.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm