Topic: script

How to setup and right a sword fight in a script.
Should i Choreography the sword fight scene with my friends in a video then make it out of lego or just make it up well
filming.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

Re: script

I've read some stuff about scripts here before, and i think it's just simply described as "the characters have a sword fight" and stuff and not like "the character swooshes his sword near to the other characters arm and steps exactly one stud back" etc.

I don't do much scripting/storyboarding, i just think about what i want as a final result (in this case, a sword fight) and try to visualise it with animating and editing.

signature

I think it's both ways, left up to whoever is writing the script to decide.

Your idea of choreographing is really good, being able to match the movements. But nonetheless, it's up to you to decide how you want to do it. Maybe test out which way works best for you. You could also skip the trouble of planning a real fight and watch a fight in a movie frame by frame.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Script should say "Two ppl sword fight".

I personally would then storyboard the fight scene so the fight is essentially choreographed before hand.  If you just wing it on the day, you'll find two things happen:

• the fight moves are boring, repetitive and uninteresting

• you'll maneuver your figs into a position that doesn't make any sense and then you have to find a way to maneuver them out, and while you're doing that, you have to find a means to keep your "opponent" busy without looking dumb.

When I say storyboard:

• get two mini figs with swords, approximate their position, take a still, new approximate position, take a still, new position, take a still, discover the set is too cramped. 

• Build new set, position, take a still, position, take a still, realise that one incorrectly uses left hand and the other uses right hand. 

• Reset positions, take a still, reposition, take a still, discover camera angle is wrong.

... etc.  You get the meaning.  A fight sequence is quite demanding from an animation point of view.  You don't want to discover problems half way through.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I choreograph all my fights to an extent. For sections of a fight that are purely fist-fighting or straight-up swordfighting I don't go into detail, but I try to vary it and intersperse those bits with scripted bits of, I dunno', throwing nearby objects at each other, or complex backflips, or whathaveyou.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

The swordfight should be pretty generic when written, and the animator decides how to make it appear Include what details are important, but don't choreograph it.

Example:

Blocking the doorway, JAY brandishes a sword.  Reacting, LLOYD draws his own, slightly larger sword. They clash.  Gradually, Jay begins to get the upper hand, until Lloyd quickly slices a chandelier from the ceiling.  It drops, distracting Jay.  Exit Lloyd through the window.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Thanks for the help guys, i think i will try to Choreography the fight and watch a sword fight from a movie.:)

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

When I was writing spiderman I explained the fight scenes. So it's on you but when I write a script. every..second.counts:cool: CSI GLASSES YYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Legoyeah01 wrote:

When I was writing spiderman I explained the fight scenes. So it's on you but when I write a script. every..second.counts:cool: CSI GLASSES YYYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

...what?

When scripting, you have to write what you see on screen, but not as technical directions. It can be difficult to understand, but that said just writing 'two characters have a sword fight' probably wouldn't work well. The level of detail you go into will depend on how important each detail of the fight is, but I do recommend some detail, unless it's two background characters.

As an example, this is an excerpt from a script I wrote with a sword fight in. Note that a kata is a Japanese type of sword.

Teacher and student faced eye to eye in the center of the room.

Circling around, their gazes fixed on each other, both awaited the move of their opponent.

KIYADO swung hard from the left.

Leaning slightly back, SENSEI SHINGEN narrowly avoided the blow.

KIYADO’s Kata continued on an unstoppable swing causing him to loose his footing.

The moment he stumbled, the teacher thrust his Kata forward into KIYADO’s rib cage.

The student stumbled further back. As he did, he clutched his rib cage in pain.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

mini/blankexpression

LASF wrote:
Legoyeah01 wrote:

...what?

Yeah I know it was random...

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Since I am not that experienced at writing scripts, I think I will Choreography the sword fight, instead of typing it out.