Topic: Storyboarding?

What's so special about storyboarding?

It seems like it's a major part of brickfilming and everyone's doing it here. I haven't tried it but it seems to me like it's painstaking and takes up a LOT of time. I can draw very well, but i'm not planning on drawing out every single frame in my film on a whiteboard or computer screen. I usually just think in pictures of how i want the final result to be, or have an idea for a story or set, then work my way to build everything to match and animate it. If i need to write out a story, i'll write out a story of how i want it to go (and oneliners and things, if i'd need them, can come along the way whilst filming), but most of the time i'll improvise it in my head first, and i don't need storyboarding for that.

So... Why?

signature

Re: Storyboarding?

Storyboarding is probably most helpful if you are creating a longer film or a working with other people. For shorter films I find that there is little benefit. Also just because others do it, it doesn't mean you have to! mini/smile

If you have the ability to picture your whole film in your head (and to not forget!) then I guess you don't need it.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

I only storyboard for longer projects, or for projects where I think that the cinematography is important. I spent a week storyboarding Ozymandias before I started animating, but for stuff like Avengers Tower I didn't see the point. For brickfilming, it's really just about what you want to get out of the end result.

Live-action is another matter entirely. Setting up shots is more difficult (I find) so I like to have a detailed storyboard first. For our AS Film Studies coursework, my group and I storyboarded two separate versions of the film before deciding which of the two ways we wanted to shoot it. These things are important.

But for brickfilming, I'd say it's less important, unless it's a bigger project.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

You have to storyboard. IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO STORYBOARD!! By storyboarding you can clearly see each shot so you don't make any mistakes and it makes everything much clearer; which allows you to have much better animation.

TUTORIALS: http://youtu.be/4uhaJhT25hU
                   http://youtu.be/okoo3hr2O18

I only story board for longer, more detailed and larger sets. Everything more simple I don't worry about to much. If there are a lot of characters, action or big sets, I story board. That way I know what I need to build and what it needs to look like before actually building it.

"May Warriors Fortunes Smile On Your Efforts, and May the Force be With You."

coolcubestudio wrote:

You have to storyboard. IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO STORYBOARD!! By storyboarding you can clearly see each shot so you don't make any mistakes and it makes everything much clearer; which allows you to have much better animation.

You don't HAVE TO storyboard.  It it helpful to many but when I write my scripts I visualize where everything is or moves to and from clearly in my mind and have never needed it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I've only rarely storyboarded a film on paper.
It's easier to keep things in my head, and the time-investment-to-production-benefits ratio is low enough on short Lego films to usually not be worth it.

Truthfully, I have a few ideas for certain shots in my head, but mostly just wing it throughout the filming process.
Just finding an angle that looks good and going with it seems to have worked so far, it takes less planning time, and then I don't feel forced into a preconceived mold of what needs to be done.

That being said, there are many times when storyboards are very beneficial. When communicating your vision to others, when planning big effects shots or complex sequences, longer/bigger films, Ect...

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
coolcubestudio wrote:

You don't HAVE TO storyboard.  It it helpful to many but when I write my scripts I visualize where everything is or moves to and from clearly in my mind and have never needed it.

Sorry, just was overreacting. You're completely right that you don't HAVE to storyboard but it is useful; especially for longer stuff. mini/wink

I storyboard but only when it can be done quickly.  Some people can spend weeks sketching up a board - that confuses me.  Sure, it can avoid mistakes but would it save weeks of mistakes?  I'm guessing rarely - but sometimes.

I storyboard by making stills of each camera shot I want to do - even for a short film.  I need to build a set for a storyboard - so I'll make the real set or an approximation.  I'll put figures in a meaningful position and take a still and add that to my storyboard.  It takes almost no time to make a storyboard this way, though I grant that its missing dialogue.  Even that can be added as captions or speech bubbles if you cared enough.

Strictly speaking, what I do may be a quasi-storyboard, but it forces me to think about the set, the mechanics of moving figures around the set, camera and zooms.

Sketching a storyboard for weeks?  No thanks.  Spending 45 minutes taking stills of sets with correct camera angles and arranging in sequence.  Every time!

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

WoutStopmotion wrote:

I can draw very well, but i'm not planning on drawing out every single frame in my film on a whiteboard or computer screen.

What?

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:
WoutStopmotion wrote:

I can draw very well, but i'm not planning on drawing out every single frame in my film on a whiteboard or computer screen.

What?

Drawing everything is just painstaking. That's why.

signature

Wout, when you storyboard, you're not drawing every frame... you draw each cut, and underneath that frame, the dialogue for the frame or any specific actions.  You may want to indicate specific keyframes in an action sequence, where more images are covered in less time, but if you're going to draw every frame you might as well do hand-drawn animation!!  Hope it goes well.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."