Topic: Johnny Thunder - Immortalized

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DylandBrickfilms/JohnnyThunderPics/johnny_thunder_titles_16_9.png

Finally, what started out as a dream in 2010 is now a reality! My long-time, long-awaited Adventurers brickfilm is finally into production! Let's hope it's smoother sailing than pre-production was. mini/tongue

The script is 99.99% finished; I'm only awaiting some responses from the main voice actors before I officially finalize it. In it's current form, the script runs at a lengthy 28 pages! If what they say is true, and each page is approximately one minute of screen time, then, my film could be well over 30 minutes, as, there are two big action sequences that I really "brushed" over when writing - and, they'll most likely be over one minute each! So, for now, my best estimate for length is about 30 minutes. mini/smile (Now I just wonder if I should upload as one big video, or, in several parts, as Doug Vandegrift did with his "America: Outlawed" and "Pirates" brickfilms?)

An audio thread will be created, along with pictures of all characters, very soon, if not in the next week. As stated previously, the major characters have been filled, so thus far, there are only about 5 unfilled roles, all minor characters, however, I know that at least one shot will require several background character roles, to which I will allow anyone else wanting to voice act to fill those spots! (In other words, you're guaranteed a part, even if it's only a one-liner.)

As for all other elements of the brickfilm, (Effects, Music, Sets, Editing, and Animation) I should be able to accomplish those myself. However, I will upload some tests (as sneak peeks) for feedback on my effects and such. I just love to hear from others, especially in the production part of making a film, so I can improve the final edit as much as possible. mini/smile

Last edited by Dyland (June 6, 2014 (07:23am))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Re: Johnny Thunder - Immortalized

Sounds great! What's Johnny questing for, and where?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I can't wait for this! Four years is a long time to plan something out! I'm currently writing a "Pharaohs Quest" movie, but I've been working on it for two years... Kinda bogged down. Glad to see you made your dream a reality!

"May Warriors Fortunes Smile On Your Efforts, and May the Force be With You."

jampot wrote:

What's Johnny questing for, and where?

Dyland wrote:

Several things have been set in stone since my last update... The locations will be (in order of appearance, as well) Peru, Australia, India, and China.

As for the MacGuffin in question: It's essentially based around a Taoist legend, quasi-related to Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of China, and his quests for immortality. This, "Tree of Life," as the legend goes, was said to produce peaches every three thousand years. One who eats one of these rare peaches would receive immortality! Mr. Hates, the main villain, plans on eating from it, enabling him to live forever and rule an immortal army to take over the world. - That, or he was just really hungry, and was at the right place at the right time. mini/tongue

KrazyLegoBrickfilms wrote:

Four years is a long time to plan something out! ...Glad to see you made your dream a reality!

Four years is a long time, indeed! Back in 2010, I was just starting high-school, had only been filming for about 2 and a half years, and had just started my youtube channel. Now, I'm graduating, have quite a resume of voice-acting, and am now such a BiM addict! - Though, in animation, I think I've only improved baby steps; Even at that, it'll take some time to re-learn the basics of brickfilming, having not animated in nearly 5 months now! I guess that passion I have for making my dream a reality kept me going, and will keep me going through this project! Let's just hope it's not another 4 years before release. mini/tongue

Dyland wrote:
jampot wrote:

What's Johnny questing for, and where?

Dyland wrote:

Several things have been set in stone since my last update... The locations will be (in order of appearance, as well) Peru, Australia, India, and China.

As for the MacGuffin in question: It's essentially based around a Taoist legend, quasi-related to Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of China, and his quests for immortality. This, "Tree of Life," as the legend goes, was said to produce peaches every three thousand years. One who eats one of these rare peaches would receive immortality! Mr. Hates, the main villain, plans on eating from it, enabling him to live forever and rule an immortal army to take over the world. - That, or he was just really hungry, and was at the right place at the right time. mini/tongue

My respect for you has just sky-rocketed (not that I didn't respect you before mini/bigsmile ). You've clearly done your homework on this and I wish you the very best of luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

The Casting Call thread is now open in the Audio Section here: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ting-call/ !

More pictures and updates are coming soon. mini/tongue

First update on the production thread! mini/smile Woo!

Most of the voice roles have been filled, however, you can still audition if you want to be in the credits! (As a background character in a city scene.)

I've graduated high school over the past weekend, and thus, will have a lot more time for brickfilming over the summer, and, in the fall/spring of the upcoming year. (It'll be a year or two before I go into college. I want to increase the films on me resume before that mini/tongue)

So, it looks like animation will start pretty soon. I'm still awaiting some conformation on the script from the principal voice actors before I gather all lines, but, I'd assume a final edit of the script will be agreed upon within the next few weeks!

Other than that, IDK if anyone has noticed, but the picture at the top of this thread was edited a day or two ago... The explanation is needed before I can continue:

I've always loved film, and have studied it heavily throughout my years in high-school. One of the first things I came upon, aside from cinematography basics (such as the 180 rule) was the difference in aspect ratios... Using a quick search on wikipedia and IMDb, I found that most of my favorite films were in this "cinemascope" widescreen, which is 2.35:1 for those technical-buffs. I was satisfied with my find, and started using that ratio when making pictures in GIMP, and editing my shorts. However, it has recently come to my attention that this 2.35:1 is actually a pretty flawed number, as the original frames of film could vary depending on the maker. (And, even at that, the frames would be squashed to only half of the original width on the cells, and then projected at double the width when played at theaters and such)

Shocked at finding this, I decided the best way to find the "true" ratio of my favorite films, I took out a tape measure and actually measured the length and width of the film as it appeared on my flat-screen (Blu-Ray releases of Raiders of the Lost Ark, AND Atlantis: The Lost Empire). In the end, I found out that (when imputing the inches into GIMP) the true ratio was closer to 2.78:1. A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! (I can send a picture with the differences in height if anybody else is curious in this thing too.) So, now, my film will be in the same ratio as the "cinemascope" so that when I watch my future brickfilms, including Johnny Thunder - Immortalized, on my tv, it'll look just the same as my favorite films! mini/smile

Hey, congrats on graduating! Are you going into film school then, or is this just a hobby for you?

"May Warriors Fortunes Smile On Your Efforts, and May the Force be With You."

KrazyLegoBrickfilms wrote:

Hey, congrats on graduating! Are you going into film school then, or is this just a hobby for you?

Well, first I'm going to take a year to make some more films, and get some more experience in film, while also adding to my resume. Then, in between helping my little brother through high school, I'll certainly be attending film school. Directing has been something I've almost always wanted to do, since, I think that I have to. I've got such an imagination, and, I can usually take anything thrown at me and find a creative take on it. - I have since I saw my first movie in theaters back in 2001.

However, I still consider brickfilming more of a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I always want to do it, and, hopefully, WILL always be doing it. However, my true passion is for directing, and thus, I'll probably work in TV and Film for an actual job. But, if I ever was commissioned to do a brickfilm, I wouldn't turn it down! mini/smile

... That's thinking a few years ahead, however, and this thread is for my current project. mini/tongue (Let's hope it doesn't last a few years in production!)

Update:

I have planned a trip to the LEGO store within the next week or two. This will give me time to pick up the Super Secret Drop-Ship that includes an updated Johnny Thunder. I will also stock up on some colors I'm lacking from the pick-a-brick wall, and, might pick up some create-a-minifigures.

As for using this new Johnny Thunder - I'm really split. Though I love the new face, things such as color (hat and outfit being the "newer" colors, such as which came with the color change [i.e. bley]) and, the made the straps on his body thicker. - I prefer the original in nearly all aspects, however, I've recently been starting to appreciate back-printing on the torsos. So, I may actually mix/match my Johnny Thunder figs to find a "perfect" one for this film. (However, there is one scene where I'm sure to use the new face, as, I think the change in expression is needed.)

As this film takes place in several countries (Peru, Australia, India, and China) I need a lot of colorful pieces for background shots/hills, and, even at that, will probably use some still art for backdrops. (I've always been partial to the look of "The Wizard of Oz," and, will try to somewhat replicate that in my film. However, these painted backgrounds will be similar to those in the rooftop scene in Nathan Well's "Beast," added in in post-production, and, made to look a little more "blocky" as to fit in with the theme of LEGO) I'll be starting very soon on those, as well. So, in some of the next updates, I'll start posting my concept art, storyboards for select scenes, and even this background art! mini/smile

So you're getting a super expensive set just for one figure? Okay, i find myself doing that all the time but at least i only get impulse sets for figures. Buy a bunch of them online if you'd want it so bad.

signature

WoutStopmotion wrote:

So you're getting a super expensive set just for one figure? Okay, i find myself doing that all the time but at least i only get impulse sets for figures. Buy a bunch of them online if you'd want it so bad.

He doth make a good point. The Super Secret Dropship is expensive. I'd recommend buying the figure online, and either using that money for bulk boxes of bricks or for filming equipment.

Well if Dyland is anything like me he might be using the minifig as an excuse to justify a set he already wants, nothing wrong with that in my book.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Well if Dyland is anything like me he might be using the minifig as an excuse to justify a set he already wants...

Actually, I'm contemplating just ordering the Johnny Thunder minifig loose on bricklink! I don't really care for Batman, another Emmit, am only slightly interested in the robot guards. And I REALLY don't like Ninjago. (So, my little brother will be getting some new minifigs in this set too, it seems, as, he's really into the Ninjago and Chima lines)

WoutStopmotion wrote:

So you're getting a super expensive set just for one figure?

jampot wrote:

...The Super Secret Dropship is expensive. I'd recommend buying the figure online, and either using that money for bulk boxes of bricks or for filming equipment.

And, though the dropship is pretty cool, I'll probably end up parting it out... Sorry for all of you LEGO movie fans, but, I'm not really planning on keeping the set for display. (I've already got some other LEGO movie sets that, I personally like much better.) However, I think that It will still be of some use to me in the end. (And, besides, I'm willing to pay that much for Johnny Thunder... Obsessive much? mini/tongue)

Then again, this is coming from the guy who bought some K'nex Beatles figures, and, dare I say, like them a little more than LEGO minifigures. mini/tongue (At least, from an animation standpoint)

Last edited by Dyland (June 9, 2014 (03:21pm))

No one hardly makes johnny thunder films anymore glad this is in the making!!  mini/bigsmile

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Legoyeah01 wrote:

No one hardly makes johnny thunder films anymore glad this is in the making!!  mini/bigsmile

That's the exact same feeling I had when I discovered that Johnny Thunder was to appear in the LEGO Movie. And, even though his role was mainly cut to short cameos in the background, I still loved every second he had of screen time! mini/smile (That's partially why I've ordered the Super Secret Police Drop-Ship set!)

I know that for many, the return of Johnny Thunder has been greatly anticipated. Yet, for others, I'm sure that this project may seem like a waste of time. (Just another adventurers brickfilm...) Sometimes, the latter comments/thoughts can ring in my head - all ghosts of comments made years ago. However, Whenever someone like you, LEGOyeah01, say nice things like you have, It really motivates me to finish my project, and move forward onto the next one. mini/smile

UPDATE:

Soon, I will send out finalized scripts to the voice actors, and then, after I receive all of the vocal recordings, I will assemble a "rough cut" using these voices, in sync with storyboards I'll make. Then, I'll start timing things out, and calculating, so I can animate the dialogue perfectly to the recorded voices! Then, after finishing on the animation, I'll do all of my editing in my editing program. (Sony Vegas) Finally, It'll just be time for the store, and then I'll be able to upload!!! - As much as I'd like this path to be quick, I don't want to sacrifice quality in any way, and thus, I'm hoping to end up with a pretty decent film. (From an animation and pacing standpoint) As the film will already most likely be 30 minutes, (at the pace I want to do, definitely longer) I'm shooting for something on the lines of "America: Outlawed" or, actually, more accurately to pace, "Pirates." - Both films done by Doug Vandegrift.

So, if you want a little "pre-view" of how the final film will run, I'd suggest you guys check out those brickfilms. I certainly am using them as a kind of "go-to" layout.

Also coming soon are many previews/behind the scenes material, that I'd appreciate critique on. Such things to expect are: Concept art, Musical scores, Minifig pictures, (along with background info) and pictures of the sets! mini/smile

Alright, time for an update: (and a bit of a late one, at that)

Since scripting and feedback is taking a little longer than expected, I've decided to start uploading some behind-the-scenes sort of things. (i.e. pictures, storyboards, videos, and music)

I think that music would be a perfect place to start. (:

As many of you probably know, I have dabbled in composing for some time now, and am even a featured composer on the BiM audio thread of composers! And, though I've loved all previous compositions, this one is probably me best to date. It's so much fuller than my other tracks, and, I really went all out in layering chords under the main melody. That being said, it's still a little messy and muddled, but, much clearer than anything I've done in the past. This sure rivals my work on Pritchard's "If Rooftops Could Talk," which, I had previously ranked as my best work!

I've taken this link down, as, I now have made a newer recording. Please view that link, later in this thread...]

You can easily compare it to my previous Johnny Thunder theme, here: (which isn't half-bad on it's own)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69KWA_dR84A

And, if you REALLY want to see what improvement I've made since first playing piano, you can see a test I did for a LEGO Batman project I was doing in early 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNBYNdl1IL4

I'll be updating with more music and pics every week, so, make sure to keep checking in! I'll try not to be a few days late, next time.

If anyone would like a higher-quality download for the "Thrill of Adventure" track, I can create a link on mediafire.

Wow, that's actually really sweet Dyland. Great job.

If that's just a sample of the work, I can't wait to here the rest.
You're improving by leaps and bounds, and I'm sure this will be a major part in making this movie a success.
I'm certainly not a musical person, but I can't really detect any major flaws in this, and I'd say this would be a great final version.

Not sure if it's what you're trying to go for or your MIDI, but the main instrument sounds really tinny and toy trumpet like.

I feel like this would sound better more brassy then just having the solo trumpet be the main instrument.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Wow, that's actually really sweet Dyland. Great job... You're improving by leaps and bounds, and I'm sure this will be a major part in making this movie a success. I'm certainly not a musical person, but I can't really detect any major flaws in this, and I'd say this would be a great final version.

Thanks, Pritchard. I'm glad to know that the hour and a half that I spent on just editing and mixing this payed of! mini/smile I probably won't use this exact recording in the film, as, I'm going to "truly" compose my compositions to sync with the pacing of the movie. Although, I was thinking of putting together my "test tracks," such as "Thrill of Adventure" into a soundtrack album! It wouldn't be every exact song from the film, but rather, more like the clean/studio versions to the film's "live" version. (Also, doing this helps me to make all virtual-instruments the same throughout the movie, to keep continuity)

Willco66 wrote:

Not sure if it's what you're trying to go for... but the main instrument sounds really tinny and toy trumpet like.

I feel like this would sound better more brassy then just having the solo trumpet be the main instrument.

I know that this will probably shock a lot of you, (especially others who compose in some nice program, such as garageband for Mac) but, I actually did all of this in audacity - recording the instrument takes from my Casio keyboard piano to a click-track. I have to remove background noise from each track individually, and then, master them into a mono (or in this rare case, stereo) master. I actually added a bit of delay and echo to the main horns as it is, but, I guess I could try some more, or use a different, more "full" sounding horn setting on my piano.

Long story short, when I upload the .mp3 (or original .wav) to Mediafire, I might also upload the audacity project as well; as it contains each individual track. If anyone wants to take a crack at mixing it themselves, go right ahead! I'd love to see how your mix would compare to my test mix.

That being said, I think I'll boost the sound of the background strings, and, perhaps, duplicate the horns for a "wider" sound... Let's see how take 2 fairs compared to the test!

The melody itself is great. It has a really good "adventuring" feeling to it without just sounding like an Indiana Jones rip-off or parody. However, it was a bit odd that the second part of the song was just a repeat of the first part.

Also, it does sound an awful a lot like a MIDI, which I don't think really cuts it nowadays for music quality. It's a personal preference, but I don't like how tinny and "computer-generated" it sounds. I'm not sure how you could improve or change that, though, without going with a completely different program that produces more realistic-sounding instrumental sounds.