Topic: Light flicker problems

What are the best lights to use in order to reduce light flicker?

I'm using two TERTIAL lamps from Ikea; one with a 400 lumen globe, the other with a 600 lumen globe. Both lights have paper taped over them to diffuse the light, but I am still getting a lot of light flicker.

Could it also be how many pieces of glass the images is projected through on my camera? I use a Nikon 18-55mm lens, with a wide angle, and macro lens attachment, and a UV filter over that. It is causing not much light to go into my camera. I know that much, because I have to drop down to 1/20 shutter speed to get a well lit picture (thankfully I have a tripod).

So are there any better lights I could use, or should I just light the scene more for my camera setup?

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Re: Light flicker problems

Kieren Barnett wrote:

What are the best lights to use in order to reduce light flicker?

I'm using two TERTIAL lamps from Ikea; one with a 400 lumen globe, the other with a 600 lumen globe. Both lights have paper taped over them to diffuse the light, but I am still getting a lot of light flicker.

Could it also be how many pieces of glass the images is projected through on my camera? I use a Nikon 18-55mm lens, with a wide angle, and macro lens attachment, and a UV filter over that. It is causing not much light to go into my camera. I know that much, because I have to drop down to 1/20 shutter speed to get a well lit picture (thankfully I have a tripod).

So are there any better lights I could use, or should I just light the scene more for my camera setup?

Cfl bulbs (not fluorescent tubes though) work well. I have heard led's are good because the have a much faster frequency so flicker shouldn't be a problem.
Another cause for flicker when you use a dslr is the lens aperture not staying the exact same from picture to picture. This gave Squid's films flicker till recently when he put a wad of paper in a part of the lens (if this is the problem ask Squid how to do it).
You can also try to remove flicker in post. I have a tutorial for this linked to in my signature (It doesn't work with every kind of flicker but it is always a good idea to try it to see if it works for your particular shot)

That is an awesome program by the looks of it, but nothing like that for mac by any chance? I take it there's probably a way to colour correct frame by frame, but that'd take a long time.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Kieren Barnett wrote:

That is an awesome program by the looks of it, but nothing like that for mac by any chance? I take it there's probably a way to colour correct frame by frame, but that'd take a long time.

I don't know of any version for mac.