Topic: A Good Webcam

Ok, So. Im looking for a good webcam for stop motion. I cant afford the logitech ones right now, But there must be a decent webcam somewhere! Help? Cheers                              Ok, My bidget is... xD £20 But i was thinking of buying the Logitech 3500? Any good?

Last edited by Inscor (February 10, 2009 (02:45pm))

Re: A Good Webcam

OK, what kind of budget are we looking at here? A very small one, yes, but how much exactly?

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I'm sorry, did you just post pretty much the same thread twice?

Generally with webcams, you get what you pay for. If you're prepared to shell out a bit more and get a Quickcam pro 9000 you'll get great quality. If you only spend 20 bucks, I wouldn't think you'd be able to get really great results.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I looked up the E 3500 and the only specs it seems to have it that is has RightLight (useless for brickfilming) and 1.3 megapixels (far too small). You're gonna have to spend more than that, mate.

Sean wrote:

Generally with webcams, you get what you pay for. If you're prepared to shell out a bit more and get a Quickcam pro 9000 you'll get great quality. If you only spend 20 bucks, I wouldn't think you'd be able to get really great results.

Is the logitech quickcam pro 3k any good for brickfiliming? And anyone know the specifications of it?

I Always fail with a sig

Sean wrote:

The quickcam express/go is a good deal for $20. And all my movies have a GREAT picture. I'm telling ya, u can't go wrong!

EDIT: ignore ^

Last edited by Living LEGO (April 11, 2009 (02:24pm))

-

Last edited by Lucas (September 1, 2021 (10:01am))

LuckeMasse wrote:

The only very very very good one is the Logitech Quickcam PRO 9000. But i think the 3500 isnt that bad

Actually, there are more very very very good webcams.

When you are looking for a good webcam to brickfilm with, there's three basic things you should look at in the specifications.

- First off, your webcam has to have the ability of manual focus. Anything else, like fixed focus or autofocus will ruin your shots, making them look very very blurry. You want to have your subject clear in the screen. This can only be possible with manual focus. Also, make sure that the manual focus can get very close to the webcam (we're talking about a couple of inches/centimeters here), as you are animating in a very small world. Note: there's some webcams that have both the ability of manual focus and autofocus. These are fine too, as long as they have the ability of doing manual focus.
- Second of all, you will need to ability to put all your settings to manual. This way, when you animate your camera will not readjust the brightness, white balance and other things while you animate, giving you a steady picture all the way through.
- Third of all, your webcam needs to be able to shoot at a high resolution. You will need to have a maximum true resolution of at least 640x480 pixels (sometimes referred to as "VGA"). Higher true resolutions only do better. Make sure to check that the maximum resolution of the webcam you want to buy isn't "interpolated". Interpolated just means "software-enlarged", where the webcam takes a picture at its true maximum resolution (640x480, for instance), and then uses software to enlarge it (to 1024x768, for example).

There are probably more things you can look at, but these three are the most important, because ultimately, it's these three requirements that will determine the picture quality of your films.

Id spend the extra buck for the 9000, its worth it.

User formerly known as "LEGO"

LuckeMasse wrote:

But i think the 3500 isnt that bad

I know. It's absolutely terrible.