Topic: [Claymation] The Magic Portal: Redux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-syXajWIQ4&fmt=18

I swear, I'll never animate with clay again. mini/madhead

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Re: [Claymation] The Magic Portal: Redux

Whats wrong with clay?

It's near impossible to animate, and even more so what with the way the figures are built and the sets I used.

I think the trick with claymation is to make your characters pretty big - like a good 8 inches tall. Also, Aardman put metal armatures inside theirs to help with the whole animation thing.

0ldScratch wrote:

I think the trick with claymation is to make your characters pretty big - like a good 8 inches tall.

See, there's the thing; our teacher would only allow our characters to be a maximum of three inches. We couldn't do anything beyond that.

0ldScratch wrote:

Also, Aardman put metal armatures inside theirs to help with the whole animation thing.

Couldn't do that either.

Sounds like a bad teacher, assuming she wanted you to make claymation.

She is a bad teacher if she won't let you make them a good height or use an armature

maggosh wrote:
0ldScratch wrote:

I think the trick with claymation is to make your characters pretty big - like a good 8 inches tall.

See, there's the thing; our teacher would only allow our characters to be a maximum of three inches. We couldn't do anything beyond that.

That's what LEGO is for, my friend. mini/tongue

You really need an armature to deal with clay

Well, despite the horrid technicalities of the film, I got the highest mark of the class and everybody loved it. How is this possible? Does the fact that the other five films were 8 fps monstrosities strike you? Does it vex you? I thought so.

StevieCollins wrote:

That's what LEGO is for, my friend.

I couldn't build the figures out of LEGO. Dunno why.

SlothPaladin wrote:

You really need an armature to deal with clay

See, that's the thing; this was meant as a "Introduction to Claymation" assignment. No fancy stuff like that.

On top of that we had to "plunk" (she seriously said "plunk") the frames into iMovie and shorten the length of each one. Hence the 8fps monstrosities I mentioned earlier. Let me break it down for yeh:

1. ClayZilla
ClayZilla appears, tanks appear, ClayZilla smashes building, then does nothing and runs away. The military are stunned and leave the premises. The End.

2. PokeMon: Aqua Badge
Ash enters the Viridian Gym 'Hotel Mario' style and finds Misty (Yes, Misty. Where the !@#$ is Giovanni??). He challenges her to a duel and they throw their PokeBalls - which was more like releasing a butterfly with one good wing; they floated. FLOATED. - and out come Pikachu and Staryu. Pikachu's attacks land like someone taking a dump. No surprise, Pikachu wins, Ash takes the Aqua badge. The End.

3. Memory Lane
A surprisingly well made rendition of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Sets were actually well made, scenes were created to a T, and nicely done hand-held camera shots. The only film that left a lasting impression on me.

4. Jaws: Evolution
This one had humour if not technically sound. A nude woman (yes, they made a NUDE woman) goes into the water, the shark comes out, eats her from below and she's sucked in. Later a father and son go to the same beach, and as the father drifts to sleep, the shark from before grows legs, walks on shore, and - not surprisingly - eats the father. The only funny one of the bunch.

5. Ecila
So bad it made my eyes burn. This one wasn't even ready for viewing day and had to be shown on Friday. Even with the extra week they had, it still stunk. In a nutshell; a girl gets up, late for school, and on the way, screws with various fairy tales.

So, in short, only two of the five films above I took some sort of a liking to.

Just for clarification, you take this class in regular, public school? I wish we had classes like that.

Squash wrote:

Just for clarification, you take this class in regular, public school? I wish we had classes like that.

Yes, I do.

maggosh wrote:
Squash wrote:

Yes, I do.

lucky, I'm homeschooled