Topic: Flickering light - UNSOLVED PROBLEM

Hi, guys!

I know this is basically the most repeated question on this forum, but have to ask you because I am a little bit desperate about light flickering in my brick scenes. Here is the scene I took few days ago: http://youtu.be/1-g9UkFYhXo

And here is the problem, my setup is:

Camera: Canon Eos 550D

Lens: Canon 17 – 85 mm

Comp: Connected to my mac, remote shooting

Soft: EOS Utility

Camera settings: all auto-options are off

White balance: custom

Shutter: 0″4 (pretty slow)

Scene: 3x desk lamps, same wattage, same age of bulbs (totally new)

Cloth: We had dark t-shirts

Shot was taken during the evening. All windows were closed and covered by curtains (there was dark outdoors anyway)

I shot this with my friend by the way – one guy behind the mac checking the shot changes and pressing the remote button.

Another guy was moving with character on the scene and afterwards has left the room during taking an image (so its not a problem about moving people in the room).

So the problem is, I think we sucesfully met all conditions for non flickering scene: No auto setting in camera, no outdoor light, no moving person behing taking shots, bulbs with same wattage, shutter speed 0″4.

But as you can see in preview, there is big problem with light. Some sequence of photos are ok and then come suddenly the light change.

Im so desperate about this problem. I will appreciate any kind of help or ideas how to solve this.

Thank you guys!

Re: Flickering light - UNSOLVED PROBLEM

This link right here should hopefully solve your problems.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Thank. I did see this tutorial. But im working with mac, not pc. Virtual dub is only for pc.
I dont think this tutorial is very helpful anyway. He just showed how reduce light flicker in postproduction,
but I am looking for solution to avoid it in global.
Can you help?

Perhaps the contact taping method suggested here might help you:

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … t-flicker/

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (March 17, 2014 (12:55pm))

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Hypocrates wrote:

Thank. I did see this tutorial. But im working with mac, not pc. Virtual dub is only for pc.
I dont think this tutorial is very helpful anyway. He just showed how reduce light flicker in postproduction,
but I am looking for solution to avoid it in global.
Can you help?

Yeah, the tutorial was meant for problems caused by the way your camera is (like the scrolling bars of webcams or the subtle flicker of slightly changing aperture for dslrs) and not for big flickers caused on set.

Have you tried widening your aperture to maximum and taking a really close-up shot?
This will not fix your flicker at all, but this will give it maximum bokeh, and if the problem is in fact fluctuating aperture, then you will see the size of the bokeh change with the flicker and you will then know if the problem is that.  And if this is the problem then I do have a fix.
There isn't much depth to the shot shown, so I can't really tell if that's the problem.

Squid wrote:

Have you tried widening your aperture to maximum and taking a really close-up shot?
This will not fix your flicker at all, but this will give it maximum bokeh, and if the problem is in fact fluctuating aperture, then you will see the size of the bokeh change with the flicker and you will then know if the problem is that.  And if this is the problem then I do have a fix.
There isn't much depth to the shot shown, so I can't really tell if that's the problem.

Hey Squid, if I'm not mistaken, then you use that so-called 'tape-method'. I've tried putting a small piece of paper between the connection of my lens and camera body, and it actually 'got rid of' the aperture. (the aperture is 0.0, poof, gone) The flickering, however, remains. Would you be ever so kind as to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Pretty please? It's killing me.

BrickStory wrote:
Squid wrote:

Hey Squid, if I'm not mistaken, then you use that so-called 'tape-method'. I've tried putting a small piece of paper between the connection of my lens and camera body, and it actually 'got rid of' the aperture. (the aperture is 0.0, poof, gone) The flickering, however, remains. Would you be ever so kind as to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Pretty please? It's killing me.

Oh, I've tried the tape thing, it doesn't work at all.

First, take off the lens off of the camera body and take off the lens cap.
Look through the lens and you will be able to kinda see through it, not well, though, but you'll be able to see the size of the aperture, which, by default, will be closed as tightly as it can get.
Around the part of the lens which connects to the body, there is this switch which controls the size of the aperture, if you move this around, you should be able to see the that you are changing it.
However, if you let go, it will snap back into a very small position, which you don't really want.
So what you need to do is jam tiny bits of paper around the switches to try to set it at the aperture you want.
Of course, getting it just right will take a while, also, changing it again will become very annoying, but it should be quite a lot better.
After trying this, Leprechauns in France became almost entire flicker-free besides a few shots which are still mysteriously flickery.  I haven't a clue as to why.  But it's obviously much better than Sharks and Clowns or my THAC films.

Last edited by Squid (April 5, 2014 (06:29am))

Squid wrote:

Oh, I've tried the tape thing, it doesn't work at all.

First, take off the lens off of the camera body and take off the lens cap.
Look through the lens and you will be able to kinda see through it, not well, though, but you'll be able to see the size of the aperture, which, by default, will be closed as tightly as it can get.
Around the part of the lens which connects to the body, there is this switch which controls the size of the aperture, if you move this around, you should be able to see the that you are changing it.
However, if you let go, it will snap back into a very small position, which you don't really want.
So what you need to do is jam tiny bits of paper around the switches to try to set it at the aperture you want.
Of course, getting it just right will take a while, also, changing it again will become very annoying, but i should be quite a lot better.
After trying this, Leprechauns in France became almost entire flicker-free besides a few shots which are still mysteriously flickery.  I haven't a clue as to why.  But it's obviously much better than Sharks and Clowns or my THAC films.

Ah, I see! So you have to redo it when you need to set the aperture to something else. I'll try this ASAP (after skool). I hope it works. Light flicker is the only thing really bothering me. Thanks, Squid! You're the man.

The flicker on this looks weird. I was going to suggest it might be an automatic aperture issue as others are pointing to until I watched it. You should still try what Squid said, if you haven't already, as it's possible that's the issue. That said, I think that generally darkens the whole image, whereas your clip looks like only certain reflections are brighter (though you seem to have taken precautions to avoid animator reflections). The other thing that could cause that is one of several light sources flickering brighter.

Vacuum cleaners and clothes dryers in somewhat close proximity can cause certain lights to flicker a little bit. I'm really not sure, otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Smeagol's right, that flicker is weird, although I've think I've seen flicker just like it before, in my own work, and I think I may have solved it (but probably not, I usually just get lucky). If I can figure it out I'll report back here.

Grumble. Squid, that method doesn't work on my lens, because they don't have a manual aperture ring. Either that, or you just have some different lens than mine. I don't know.

Stopping down too low, or using fast shutter-speeds can also cause light flicker, or so I read.

EDIT: Jackpot! Scroll down to 'the lens' and read a bit: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/201 … raphy.html

* Set the aperture on the camera body using the digital controls.
  * Press the depth-of-field preview button (usually below the lens on the front of the camera body) and un-mount the lens while holding the button.
  * Cover the lens contacts with tape (any kind that’s thin and won’t leave a residue or gum up the contacts).
  * Reattach the lens without accidentally peeling off the tape.

Edit/Conclusion: The method mentioned above works on my camera (EOS 30D with a .... lens), but it seems that it is possible that the source of my light flicker is 'fluctuating electricity'. I really don't know what to do about that, but most people say longer exposures should balance the frames. I hope that's true.

Last edited by BrickStory (March 18, 2014 (12:45pm))

Longer exposures can help, when filming stop motion you should be a shutter speed around 1/10th or so. The exposures are more likely to be even, and you can easily shoot that slow since nothing is moving. Sometimes I shoot as slow as 1/6th.

I have gone to as long as 6-8 seconds shutter speed to get just want I wanted... well that was random and pointless to this topic.