Topic: Lighting Help

I'm having a bit of trouble with my lighting.
I use two lamps (one at a slightly further distance because it is a bit brighter, despite being the same model) and can't get the level I want.

It's either so bright that you can't see anything or really dark. Best I've been able to get is a dim night-ish light. And it still looks harsh on the minifigs faces.

Both have paper taped over them.

What one looks like; it's an LED lamp http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee508/TaelMoon/lamp_zps7af452d0.png

Any tips of what could help get the light to the levels I need?

Re: Lighting Help

It kinda depends on what you're trying to do with the lights, I think. Could it be too bright because there is a wall near your set reflecting the light?

Might be easier to work the other way around. What kind of texture would you like to create? Eg. It's a scene set in the future, so you want the scene to have a purple tint or the theme of the scene is hope, so you want it to look blue since blue denotes a feeling of being limitless. Do you want to work with shadows?

Then maybe you can use gels? Sometimes just covering a plastic bag or two over it might help but please make sure it doesn't burn because of the heat it is emitting. It may help to look at the set's color scheme because colors behave differently. They mix to produce other colors and white absorbs color while black bounces it off making the set look brighter.

If you only want to use warm lights then using gels and colors might not be a good idea. I am experimenting a lot in this. If you can elaborate what are you trying to achieve in the scene, I might have experimented with something similar that I can share.

ETA: grammar

Last edited by JF (March 9, 2014 (06:25pm))

Still loading....

I just want the figures and sets to be visible without the figures faces being nothing but glare.
Part of me thinks it might be a problem with the camera. mini/frustrated

It could easily be your exposure, gain, and brightness settings, so I'd recommend playing with those a lot.
I had that problem for a while, but after re-positioning lights and adjusting settings it got fixed to a large degree.
Trial and error are going to be your best friends at this point.

You don't want your gain to be very high, the exposure can be mid-range depending on the lights, and brightness about the same. Try getting the exposure to be right below the point where the faces get blown out, and then bump up the brightness setting as see what happens. Also, try backing your lights away and turning up the three settings at once.

Another trick is to "bounce" the light. Point your light at a large white surface, and use that to reflect the light onto the set. It may not work, but it's worth a try.

I'll try that. It's just very difficult to get that old camera to do anything. mini/blankexpression

If you are using a webcam, I recommend downloading a program called AMCAP. AMCAP allows you to change everything about your webcam, lighting, exposure, white balance, brightness, hue, saturation, sharpness, color depth, all of that stuff.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.