Topic: What set would YOU want to win in a contest? (DESC!)

Hey there guys,

I am planning on making a Brickfilming contest soon, which should be really great for everyone, I have most of it figured out, and just got a few more things I am just putting together but in the mean time, I wanted to ask what sets, would YOU, the brickfilmers, and contestants want to win?

I'd love to know, put in the set if you can with the image, and let me know what you believe the set should be, so for example, if I did, this example http://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Mountain-Hut … ng=listing I could say  for second prize, so whatever set you put in, let me know what prize category it should be either 1st second or third, and the reason for the chosen set!

Kind regards,
Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: What set would YOU want to win in a contest? (DESC!)

What kind of contest would this be? I think we're in danger of being a bit oversaturated at the moment, especially if we have another summer contest and/or BRAWL (I can never remember how it works), and with 2015 ongoing. I think Gentrystudios tried to make one, but that didn't take. Maybe hold off on doing this for a while.

As for sets...I think any of the following would make great prizes.
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Forest-Anima … ng=listing
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Creative-Ambush-70812
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Town-Square-60026

I hope my advice doesn't seem harsh or hypocritical (considering I organised the 2015 contest) but I think it's for the best. Also, I'd rather be honest with other members here.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Hey there Jampot, I wouldn't want to give to much away for the contest I have planned, however I can tell you its unique in its own form, and it will bring a whole new challenge to brickfilmers, but also it will a whole lot of fun as well, so I won't get to much into it just yet.

I know this may be the case, that, there are a few contests running, and I do realize your contest, goes throughout this whole year, and into march next year which made me go mini/eek and yea, no worries your advice doesn't bother me, as I understand what your saying however, if I do wait throughout the course of this year, and next, we both don't know how many contests may happen next year, possibly more than this year, and I think its fair that brickfilmers, get to have all different contests to be excited about, and try to enter as many as possible! what I will do is give this some time, for members, and active contestants some time, to work on current contests, and I will bring this contest into play sometime this year, maybe sooner than later, I also think having a variety of different contests is essential for brickfilmers, no one said they have to do all of the contests, just whichever ones they feel like or take an interest in, but I appreciate the concern.

Also really great sets, the first one, I never knew even existed lol!

All in all great sets, thanks!

Anyone else?

Kind regards,
Generalned

Last edited by Generalned (March 8, 2014 (05:58pm))

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

The size of the prizes should depend on the proportion/length of the contest. If the contest is like THAC or BRAWL the prizes shouldn't be $100 LEGO sets. Since I don't know how epic this contest will be, I honestly can't recommend any prizes.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

I personally think it may be pretty epic, so whatever big set you would recommend for first price/second medium sets, and small sets for third size let me know! And that is a very good point.

Like Brickelodeon said, make sure the prizes fit the scale of the contest.

I think these could make good prizes http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Coast-Guard- … ng=listing
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Villa … ng=listing
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Temple-of-Li … ng=listing
for http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Police-Dog-U … ng=listing
(along with town square, which jampot suggested)

Maybe a mixel for third?

Generalned, I still think you should hold off for a while. The other thing you need to think about is whether you as a brickfilmer are ready/responsible enough to hold a contest. I held off for 6 years because I didn't know whether I could shoulder that, so you need to give it some serious thought as to whether you're experienced enough, both in terms of maturity and as a brickfilmer. Also, if people are putting effort into/waiting for other contests, will they have time for yours? I think check out Gentrystudios' thread, it was called 'Reaching the Limits', have a look at that and see what other people said. Don't make a contest for the sake of it.

As for prizes, Mixels are a great idea. The joints are fantastic for brickfilming; they're cheap and fun; collectible; and have some great parts. I have four now, and they've been so useful for props (and characters) for some of my upcoming animations. The ones coming out later in the year are even better, parts-wise (which, lets face it, is the main draws of the Mixels). There are purples ones, reuse of the Ninjago element swords, white minfig heads with a single eye on them, and loads of other cool stuff.

The Chima legend beast might also make good prices. Each one is only £8 but again, they have the joints and they're actually quite useful.

The Coast Guard set might not be the best prize, though. No offense Nemo, but I have the previous iteration of the set (which, aside from the lighthouse, is almost exactly the same) and the pieces are quite niche - you can't really use most of them for anything else, especially the main section of the boat.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I understand what your saying, and as I said, I'll give the contest time before I release it, I believe personally, as a host for the contest, I am ready, I will also be handling the prizes and shipping in my expense, so I am aware of everything needed before hand.

Also I did see the post of gentrystudios thread, ''Reaching the limits'' The thing is, the difference between me and him is, the fact, firstly, people want prizes, they don't devote their time to make a brickfilm (Which takes time) for nothing, I mean they will make their movies, but of their own dedication, generally not for a contest, this is not generally the case all the time, there are many they still enter  that has no prizes or like brawl that offers a prize on amazon of 12.99$ its not much at all really but yet its so successful and it keeps coming back, contestants, get excited the whole point is, for them to get a thrill to want to win, and sadly, gentry didn't offer that to his people, secondly the theme wasn't the best, he didn't explain it well enough and that held against him, and finally he is 13 years old, I wouldn't expect a 13 year old to be mature, or even host any kind of contest, just for the fact, he lacks the knowledge and maturity, of an adult.

But then reading it, it was sad to know the contest, failed terribly, I didn't think contests die out like that. First time seeing that, Also I do believe he had it in the wrong thread? Which by the look of it never got moved?

But I understand what your saying, and its not just a contest for the sake of it, I assure you this, I am doing this to give back to the community, and give brickfilmers a new kind of challenge, allow them to really test their skills, allow them to really push themselves, into wanting to win, my enjoyment out of this? I will get to see really hard earned films, made by great brickfilmers and most of all giving back something to the community, and its fun, contests are meant to be fun, especially with great prizes on the line!

But with all that said, I understand you are hosting a contest, so I will hold off for a while at this time, once again I do appreciate your concern.

I have been checking out these mixels, alot of people are talking about them, if that's what you guys like then so be it, mixels can be a possiblity! I don't know if there available in my area, but thats not a problem to find out.

I'll check out the chima legend beast,

and thanks for the sets Nemo, its funny a few of the sets put up I haven't seen especially that robber one which I really liked!

Thanks, guy, anyone else, want to put a set they would want to see in a contest?

Kind regards,
Generalned

Last edited by Generalned (March 9, 2014 (02:32am))

Before I get onto the on-topic reply, I just want to get on my hands and knees to plead...

Generalned, please please PLEASE go easy on the commas. Your posts are so very, very hard to decipher and understand at times. You, don't need, a comma, after, every couple, of, words. Break your text up into sentences - read your stuff out loud. Pause for a second or two at each comma and only take a breath when you stop on a period. It's quite a mouthful, right?

Generalned wrote:

Also I did see the post of gentrystudios thread, ''Reaching the limits'' The thing is, the difference between me and him is, the fact, firstly, people want prizes, they don't devote their time to make a brickfilm (Which takes time) for nothing, I mean they will make their movies, but of their own dedication, generally not for a contest, this is not generally the case all the time, there are many they still enter  that has no prizes or like brawl that offers a prize on amazon of 12.99$ its not much at all really but yet its so successful and it keeps coming back, contestants, get excited the whole point is, for them to get a thrill to want to win, and sadly, gentry didn't offer that to his people, secondly the theme wasn't the best, he didn't explain it well enough and that held against him, and finally he is 13 years old, I wouldn't expect a 13 year old to be mature, or even host any kind of contest, just for the fact, he lacks the knowledge and maturity, of an adult.

That's an ENTIRE paragraph made up of one huge run-on sentence. There's 24 commas in there! Let's fix that up a little.

Also, I did see the post of gentrystudios thread ''Reaching the limits''. The thing is, the difference between me and him is the fact firstly, people want prizes. they don't devote their time to make a brickfilm (Which takes time) for nothing. I mean they will make their movies but of their own dedication, generally not for a contest. this is not generally the case all the time. there are many they still enter  that has no prizes or like brawl that offers a prize on amazon of 12.99$. its not much at all really but yet its so successful and it keeps coming back. contestants get excited. the whole point is for them to get a thrill. to want to win and, sadly, gentry didn't offer that to his people. secondly, the theme wasn't the best. he didn't explain it well enough and that held against him. and finally he is 13 years old. I wouldn't expect a 13 year old to be mature, or even host any kind of contest, just for the fact he lacks the knowledge and maturity of an adult.

That's already a lot easier to read and all I did was remove a bunch of commas and insert some periods/full stops. There's now 9 commas and the entire paragraph is made up of 15 sentences. The grammar still makes it a bit tough, so while I'm here I'll address that too.

Also, I did see gentrystudios' thread ''Reaching the limits''. The thing is, the difference between me and him is the fact that firstly, people want prizes. They don't devote their time to make a brickfilm (Which takes time) for nothing. I mean they will make their movies but of their own dedication, generally not for a contest. This is not generally the case all the time. There are many that still enter contests that have no prizes or like brawl that offers a prize on amazon of 12.99$. It's not much at all really but yet it's so successful and it keeps coming back. Contestants get excited. The whole point is for them to get a thrill and to want to win. Sadly, gentry didn't offer that to his people. Secondly, the theme wasn't the best. He didn't explain it well enough and that held against him. Finally, he is 13 years old. I wouldn't expect a 13 year old to be mature, or even host any kind of contest, just for the fact he lacks the knowledge and maturity of an adult.

Whew, now I can read and understand it!

Please note: I'm not making a big deal out of this to bully you or make you feel bad. I'm doing so because this is a problem with almost every post you make. Oftentimes I personally don't reply simply because it takes such a herculean effort to read and understand what you've typed. The real difference between you and gentry is that I can read his posts.

Now, moving past all that. If you want to run a contest, you have a right to do so. This being said, I think you might be getting ahead of yourself. Running a contest is no small task, though I'm sure you realise this. You pointed out that in gentry's case, "he didn't explain it well enough and that held against him". This is a fair comment. But considering the big ol' post I've just written in an effort to help improve the coherency of your own posts, I'm not so sure you'd be able to explain it any better.

It takes quite a bit more to run a successful contest than to put forward a challenge, promise some prizes then sit back and wait for the entries to come pouring in. As you saw in gentry's attempt, contests can and do crash and burn when there's a lack of interest. Take it from people who have been around, observing and running Brickfilming contests for quite a while - prizes alone, unless they're obscenely attractive (such as say, a DLSR camera), will not ensure interest and participation from the community.

My advice would be to be patient. Hang around and observe how other contests are run successfully (or not) before rushing off to host your own.

In regards to what makes good prizes in general... If we're talking about LEGO sets then the already-suggested Mixels are a good call due to how useful their parts are. And that would be a good rule of thumb - think about not just how cool a set is, but how useful its parts would be when actually making a film. If the prizes don't have to be LEGO, the same idea applies - how useful would the prize be in future endeavours? Things like high quality microphones, premium frame capture software and tiny lighting kits can be good incentives.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Oh wow man I got to say Sean, you hold a great point.

I thank you for letting me know of how many commas I use. From this time forth I will not put as many commas rest assured, I really do appreciate you taking your time to re-write some of the posts I said with that being said, I can see what I did with using the large amount of commas I guess when I read I feel people would need more breaks but this may not be really the case after all.

I do understand what you are saying in regards to how it can be difficult running a contest but as Jampot has mentioned I am aware of their being complications and other factors that can get in the way but I have been working on the details for quite some time now and will continue to observe for the mean time.

However I do want to mention although I did use a lot of commas in my previous posts (Which I have now noticed and will use a lot less for sure from now on) but with that being said I can assure you that will not hold me from being able to explain my self/contest.

I like the prize selections you have mentioned like quality microphones and softwares, these are great ideas and will look into it.

It may still be sets at the end of the day but these are possibilities for future references thank you even tho it was a bit off topic I do appreciate your concern and time to write it up and inform me.

Notice how I used just 3 commas in my whole post? I hope this helps you read it better as I know there are people who do get bothered with writing if it is not specific to their liking which is understandable.

Kind regards,
Generalned

I think you should let the first place winner choose which set he want. Then the second place winner gets to choose from the two that are left over, and the third place winners gets the only set remaining.

Thanks for the suggestion Rockydude411Bricks! I'll put it into consideration, anyone else have any ideas or sets they'd want as prizes?

Btw nice name man! ha ha mini/lol

Kind regards,
Generalned

How about some from the friends theme?
For example: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Heartlake-Ju … ng=listing

Sure the figures aren't the most useful but the sets have some interesting pieces and some neat colors.

I actually really want that set, it has loads of useful pieces. Also, note the pineapples.

Good suggestion Nemo! I just had a look at the set, and was surprised how many interesting pieces there were I especially want the pineapple as well! mini/lol this could be possible for a third prize.

Need pineapples. mini/twitch

Nemo wrote:

How about some from the friends theme?
For example: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Heartlake-Ju … ng=listing

Sure the figures aren't the most useful but the sets have some interesting pieces and some neat colors.

At first I was like gag, gag, gag. But then I looked closer at the set, and ya, their could be some useful pieces in their.

Nemo wrote:

Need pineapples. mini/twitch

You said it. mini/delirium

Ahaha, you know what the funny thing is I felt the exact same as you GEF, and then I had a look and my eyes went kinda like mini/eek mumma mia, lol pineapples for everyone! mini/lol I wonder if you can get that on its own..

But I don't know if people would be excited to win it just cause its a girls theme that the only thing that makes me wonder but if they had a look at the pieces they may think differently.

Has there every been a contest were you just win like a bunch of minifigs or something? Like for first prize, and no I am not talking about the fourmonkeys contest with that bunch of baseball minifigs that weren't lego mini/lol I mean like brick warriors or customs for first prize or second?

i want 2 win the parisian resterant mini/smile for third prize mini/smile mini/smile

(Someone just had to post this.)

signature

Looks like he isn't gonna end up making this contest.