Topic: The Brick Clique Collaboration

ATTENTION:
Fellow brickfilmers, I have come to you with an idea that I’ve been toying with for a while. Now before I begin, I just want to say that I am not aware of anyone else doing something like this on BiM, so please don’t get upset if that is true, just PM me a message concerning that, and I will discontinue this. Anyways, about a year ago, I started a brickfilm network called Our Show Inc. It was a YouTube channel that hosted films from many brickfilmers that in my opinion were pretty talented. Someone hacked the account, and now I no longer have the channel. Since then I’ve been wanting to start up a group, or as I’m going to call it, a “clique” of a select few of the best amateur brickfilmers called “The Brick Clique”. It’s going to be a collaboration group making some of the best brickfilms out there. There is little involvement. If you are interested, send me an email to www.christianwgentry@gmail.com containing a link of either your portfolio video, channel trailer, etc. or one of your best films, NOT both, or you can PM me the link (I’m much more reliable with email). Also include what you prefer to be called as a member of the group, whether your YouTube username or your name. It’d look best if you gave me your name. For example, a display name such as Dan Whittaker looks and sounds better than DanWhitty97266. Please no one above the age of 19. This is an amateur group, not adult group. I would like to setup a network styled channel,(I don’t know how to do it tho) so I think I’ll probably do where if you’re a member you have the email and password. If that happens, please do not share the email/password with anyone else, even another member of “The Brick Clique”. Send me a PM or email me if you forgot the email/password, and we can work it out from there. You don’t have to make films just for this. If you want to display your trailer, you can upload it, but feel free to upload any other films you make. Just please don’t upload test videos, walkthroughs, tutorials, etc. Just stick to films, teasers, and trailers. Also, no uploading videos that contain foul language and/or sexual content. Violence is allowed, but we want to keep the videos family friendly, with the exception of violence, which is allowed. One more thing, please don’t delete anyone else’s videos. Only yours’ are you allowed to delete, and don’t upload your video if you intend to delete it later, and you can upload previously finished films. They don’t have to be made JUST for this. Just upload your best; we want to represent the most amazing films we can possibly make.
If you have any other questions, just email me or PM me. I think it could be really fun! Let me know if you’re interested, not everyone will be chosen, only the best in cinematic quality, story-telling, and entertainment. If hope we can do this and make it work! Let’s do it guys!
-Christian Gentry of Gentry Studios
NOTE: I know I have been posting a lot of topics lately, but I really like this idea, so I thought I’d post it anyway. You can view the logo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116666602@N04/12549669325/

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Re: The Brick Clique Collaboration

I don't think you understand the meaning of amateur, it has nothing to do with age, just whether or not you make a significant amount of money, just saying. Frequently the problem with things like this is most people barely have enough time to make films for their own channels, let alone another channel, so there needs to be a real benefit to exposure, etc; but good luck with this.

My main problem with this is that it's hugely elitist. There's a difference between getting experienced brickfilmers to take part in a project, and creating a group for 'the best' brickfilmers that excludes everyone else.

I'm going to be honest here. I've had a look at your last few topics, and your website, and I think you need to calm down. It looks like you're on a bit of an ego trip, and you don't quite know what to do with your ideas. I don't want to be mean, but I think you need to seriously reconsider some of your recent activites here. Also, I'm afraid that at the stage you're at, people are not going to shell out $15 for a Gentry Studios t-shirt. I wouldn't even expect Nathan Wells, one of the best known and loved brickfilmers running for one of the longest times, to be trying to do t-shirts - only hyper-famed animators like FF101 have the audience to do that.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

OK guys, thanks.  I think i'll just stop posting on here now. Not trying to seem dramatic at all, but I've never gotten any good responses from anyone at all since last year when I signed up on BiM. I thought this would be a fun site to share ideas, instead I've gotten negative responses on everything I've said.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

I don't think your ideas are necessarily bad, I just think that you are going about things too fast, and trying to do cool things, that it takes a lot of hard work and prominence in the community to do.

For example: The Brick Clique is an interesting idea, and one I would potentially be interested, but there are similar ideas already out there. BrickUltra for example does a similar thing where it has a bunch of brickfilms from different people on its channel. For the Brick Clique to have success, it needs some measure of popularity, and you haven't established anything for that, yet that would encourage the best brickfilmers, or good brickfilmers, to consider posting videos on your channel. BrickUltra was started by an animator with some popularity, and it also is a Lego News website, so it gets a lot of views from that.

I think your problem is you're trying to do things that are farther than your grasp, and that's why you're getting negative criticism. You aren't as established in the community as other people, so if you start a contest or something like this, you will not get as much interest. The best way you can get more community interest is through making brickfilms, which is the point of this community.

Another thing is that whenever you throw out an opinion or an idea on the internet, there will always be at least one naysayer, or suggested improvements.

I hope you can one day have an idea that is popular with this community and gets a lot of support, but this isn't that day. For now, I recommend your ideas and films be limited to what you can achieve, and use them to show other people that you are a good and reliable person who can be trusted to take their idea and implement it well. If you do this, other people will help you.

Christian, I don't think you should give up quite yet. Everyone has ideas that just seem awesome. But, most of the time, those ideas aren't as hot as you(I, everyone) thought they were. That's the beauty of BiM, people will tell you the truth, even if it hurts. I would rather have someone tell me my idea is scud, than to go ahead with it and embarrass myself. Don't give up yet, keep trying!

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.