Re: Language in brickfilms

I said lets say. I don't plan to do a brick film like that. It was an example.

Oh, so you did. Still, same thing applies, I don't think a brickfilm on such a subject would really be appropriate, because ultimately, no matter how well done and serious a brickfilm is, brickfilms are always just a little bit silly, because animated LEGO. It just seems that no matter how good the intentions of the film maker, it would come over a little bit insensitive.

I agree with Backyardlegos, Lego wouldn't really be the best medium for something like that. Lego is hard to work with, because most people view it as a child's toy.
My opinion on is this: If you, as the director brickfilm as a cheaper alternative to live action film (that actually looks good), and you refer to your plastic minifigures as actors, then you should do whatever you would do when directing a film with actual human beings doing the acting.
No, I don't mean you should talk to your minifigures and have caterers. I'm saying you should tell your story as it was meant to be told. If your story involves swearing, so be it- it adds realism.

I do agree with some of you that it can be taken too far, epecially if there is no reasoning behind it. This usually happens in comedies. By Forrestfire101. That was a joke.mini/tongue

I'd fully agree with what Backyardlego said. I don't think one could realistically encapsulate Martin Luther King & the Civil Rights Movements even moderately in brickfilm form.

But if this is all hypothetical, Funmi does have a point. For example, Spike Lee refused to watch Django Unchained simply because it uses, quite abundantly, the word ni**er, although in pre-civil war America, usage of the word was extremely commonplace. To reiterate what I said earlier in this thread, I think such blanket attitudes of disapproval towards swearing, especially when it is, in particular instances, contextually important or necessary, is highly limiting and close-minded. Nevertheless, Spike Lee most certainly missed out on one very great film.

I'm not subscribed to Keshen8 or FroestFire because they use bad language in their brickfilms. I don't enjoy it when people put language in their brickfilm. It kinda makes me sad when that happens. But then agin it's a free world and they can do what they want.

I only watch brickfilms dubbed in the Chetchnian, Croatian, Portuguese or Yiddish languages. Anything otherwise offends my being and I am thus compelled to lambast it severely.

As you all know, I hate curse words in brickfilms, (I actually almost got banned because of my loathe for them mini/lol ) So take this post with a grain of salt. Some people will just use every cuss in the books to try and make their film funny. But, in my opinion, I think a film would be funnier if you make up your own curses. It adds an air of silliness to it. Other times, a good old fashioned *BEEP* makes me laugh even harder, especially if I'm not expecting it. However, very rarely do I ever laugh if someone actually swears. In fact, I sometimes go from laughing at a previous joke, to being solemn because the curse ruins the feel of innocence. A good example is Keshen8's film entitled "Mac or PC" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AhmAMdcPs When I watched this, I was laughing my heart out, until the end. In closure, I guess what I'm trying to say is that swearing vary rarely makes a film better, 98% of the time it makes the film worse. This is just my 2 cents, which, looking at the size of my post, is more like 87 cents. I should probably stop typing now...

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Galactic Films wrote:

I'm not subscribed to Keshen8 or FroestFire because they use bad language in their brickfilms. I don't enjoy it when people put language in their brickfilm. It kinda makes me sad when that happens. But then agin it's a free world and they can do what they want.

I agree.  Language in brickfilms isn't funny, it's just sad.

If used correctly,  it's an asset to film making just like anything else.

Language can make brickfilms so much funnier in my opinion (if used correctly). Just because it is a child's toy we are animating with, doesn't mean we have to make it suitable for children. Make your brickfilms however you want but don't hate videos/people that use/have language in their videos

brickelodeon wrote:

As you all know, I hate curse words in brickfilms, (I actually almost got banned because of my loathe for them mini/lol ) So take this post with a grain of salt. Some people will just use every cuss in the books to try and make their film funny. But, in my opinion, I think a film would be funnier if you make up your own curses. It adds an air of silliness to it. Other times, a good old fashioned *BEEP* makes me laugh even harder, especially if I'm not expecting it.

My band likes to use "Tanj!!"  This was coined by Sci-Fi writer Robert Heinlein and used a lot by later sci-fi writer Larry Niven.  It's a curse word of the future which stands for "There Ain't No Justice".  It's even the title of one of our songs.  A corollary curse word is "Tanstaafl": "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".  at title sort of a sequel to "Tanj!!".  Also, I noticed that the Show "The Goldbergs" uses a lot of beeping the curse words a lot.  They mosaic the mouth too, so you never actually know what they're saying, or if they're saying anything at all!  I kind of think it's funnier when they're saying nothing and people try to imagine what they say, but to me it's just the beep itself that makes it funny, because in this show's case, it was planned.

You can hear 20 seconds of "Tanj!!" by scrolling to 1:40 at this URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5RCWh-DVfk

You should be able to hear "Tanstaafl" (or part of hit) here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Tinnitis/The+Y … /Tanstaafl

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (January 23, 2014 (07:48am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Smocktopus wrote:

Why do people think if it's not full of swearing and dirty jokes it's "children" comedy? A few off colour jokes would be okay, I guess, But cuss-ridden dirty comedy is just immature, I think.

Split from another thread: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … iskey-and/

I can't comment on the film since I have no interest in watching it, but on your comment, I totally agree.  A brickfilm can be clean and still adult-oriented.  Brick7 and I discuss this theme privately often, as she suggests things that keep that balance in the Holding Our Own scripts.  Episode 5 (coming up in the future) even covers some real adult topics, and thanks to her, it's still presented in a family-friendly way. 

The point is, you're absolutely right that just because a brickfilm is "clean", that doesn't mean that it is "kiddie".

EDIT : Oh, Smeagol, I read what you said AFTER quoting & replying to Smocktopus' comment, I didn't mean to do this here if the thread was split.  But if you wish to move it to the right thread, that's fine, because I don't want to really screw things up and double-post.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (November 5, 2015 (09:56am))

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:

We've all become so desensitised by swearing that often I think its funnier to replace it with 19th Century curses. "Twit", "Doofus", and "Dunderhead" remain my favourite insults (though, the word "Bugger" will always have a place in my heart)

Bugger is also a favorite of my Aunt.  "You are a bugger", her catch phrase.

Uh, you know what that word means, right?

Last edited by Night Owl (November 8, 2015 (10:57pm))

I think that strong language in Brickfilms  is unnecessary. A good film does not need constant  swearing. In many of the Brickfilms with strong language that I've seen, its just swearing for the sake of swearing, and the actual story is neglected. I think that most of my favourite movies don't have any strong language because there really is no need for it.

William Osborne wrote:

I think that strong language in Brickfilms  is unnecessary. A good film does not need constant  swearing. In many of the Brickfilms with strong language that I've seen, its just swearing for the sake of swearing, and the actual story is neglected. I think that most of my favourite movies don't have any strong language because there really is no need for it.

Well. it's all about context. If a hardened criminal busts out of jail and confronts someone who stole his stash of money, you'd expect him to say something stronger than "golly" or "gosh". As long as there is adequate notice I don't see what the problem is -- you've always got the OFF button, and it's not as if there aren't plenty of alternatives out there.

I suppose you are right, but I never use strong language because I never intend to make any film that would be rated over 13+ That and I try to avoid the use of strong language, because bad language is hard to listen to, (that is not to say I never curse. Sometimes I very quickly lose my temper and explode). Of course, as you said, its different in certain circumstances, but it seems a little strange to make a family friendly toy swear, and if a Brickfilm uses the foulest language, I will stop watching. However, I do appreciate that those who do mention the strong language on their threads, but you must remember that for the non-BIM audience on YouTube, many of whom are kids, will end up seeing them too without any warning of the language.

I'm with jahnocli, and he's articulated it much better than I normally do.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

William, you are right about it being weird seeing a Lego minifig swearing.  Actually, a lot of things the minifigs in my videos say are unexpected from Lego people.

But I agree with you that no one wants to tell brickfilmers that they must not do this or that, lest you may be the next to be told what YOU can't say!  But do provide content advice, so that we can know in advance.  And if unsure, err on the side of grading your videos harshly.  Recalling one brickfilm which was graphically gory was marked, "mild violence", until it was suggested that the level should have been graded much higher.

When working with video, I try to keep to the Vechsian rules of conduct, and allow one F-bomb or two "s" words per video.

Vechs' Channel

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]