Re: The Future of THAC (and BRAWL)

Just a wild suggestion, but what about a three day contest? That way all three contests have a uniqueness of some sort. Apologies if its been discussed already, or is just a really terrible idea.

I think a three-day contest is a bit unnecessary. THAC is good because it's a challenge to get everything done in 24 hours, but yet is enough time for most to make a simple, entertaining film. BRAWL is also good because it gives enough time to make more thought-out and more impressive films. The problem with a three-day contest is that people make more ambitious ideas and plots, but realize that three days isn't enough to make it. But when they do realize that it's not enough time, it's the last day and either they don't finish or it's rushed and not well-made.

Since a lot of people have been proposing different ideas, should we put it to a vote and decide to go with the most popular option?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I propose a duel!

I agree with Grant. I'm getting tired of all the discussion; everything that needs to be said has already been said. mini/blankexpression  Let's actually make some decisions here.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I agree with Micky agreeing with Grant.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I second this motion (fourth really, but who's counting?)

I feel like I need to weigh in on a topic that's already had some robust discussion, hopefully I'm adding value here.

I think having an event per quarter would be a great way to do things.  That would give 4 opportunities per year to enter one's work, and allow folks to create their other films around that schedule or around events they choose not to enter.

I think both THAC and BRAWL are special in their own way.  They are unique from one another, and I think that's what makes them special.  Additionally, the fact that they happen just once per year makes them that much more special.

What I would like to see is two different events (not necessarily competitions, but they could be) that are unique in their own way that occur in the Spring and Fall.  I'm not sure that I have suggestions off of the top of my head, but maybe one could be a contest to animate a series of shorts (action, dialogue, etc.) within a set period of time which are released at the contest start.  This would be an interesting way to see how folks take the same base content and add their own flair to it.

I guess in the end, my thoughts are that "more of the same" doesn't necessarily equate to "more appealing".  I think the creativity that this community has could be harnessed to help create two new, very unique events that would occur in the spring and fall space.

Again, sorry to come late to the discussion, hopefully my thoughts helped move the discussion in a positive direction.

Keep THAC once a year, that's what makes it special.

People enter the contest knowing its difficult, deal with the tears, deal with the pain, deal with the blood, thats what THAC is about and if people can't handle that, they shouldn't enter.

wat if one was a 10 hour contest. And the minimum seconds was 15.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

You can't really have a contest under 24 hours due to people living in different time zones.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Yes I agree with the 4 contests a year so badly.

Unfortunately a well timed breakup screwed up my chance to have a Halloween Special. And made me completely forget that I was going to enter my first THAC after 5 years.

Plus I have the hinting idea that having more then 1 a year will keep it special but lower the stress I know I would have had.

Jayem wrote:

Just a wild suggestion, but what about a three day contest? That way all three contests have a uniqueness of some sort. Apologies if its been discussed already, or is just a really terrible idea.

I quite like the idea of a three-day contest (or maybe even just two days).  One day ends up being a really rushed, crazy day.  A week is just too long for those of us with jobs to really devote to the contest.  Two or three days (especially on the weekend) would be just perfect.

I'm not one for a three-day contest.
One day I can get off of work and everything, a week I can just maximize my free-time, but three days is right in the middle and neither method would really work.

It's too long to devote solely to brickfilming, but too short to get much of anything else done, so I'm kinda against it.

I really think the THAC mod should be not in every frame, but every shot(or scene, angle, etc.) Since i'm homeschooled, it doesn't really matter when the contests are for me:)

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

My unsolicited $0.02 on THAC:

Frequency/Timing - I believe THAC should remain as an annual event. I agree with the numerous other posters who felt that participation would suffer if there were multiple THAC's. It is a unique/special event. Keep the magic by keeping it annual.

Mod element - I also agree that the mod element should be changed to every shot rather than every frame. Perhaps we will see more adventurous camera movements by easing this restriction.

Remain a contest? - I believe that THAC should remain as a contest. The announcement of the results is a nice way to formally wrap up THAC and provides some closure to the whole event. I truly believe that the majority of people that enter THAC are not motivated by the prizes but rather by the challenge of THAC itself. However, I also believe that it is a great honor to be named one of the winners of THAC - and that too is a motivation to enter. I think the prizes can be eliminated but the final judging should remain. Unfortunately, any contest that includes the human element of judging is always open to criticism and second-guessing and the judges who volunteer their time are occasionally criticized and questioned. Perhaps a change to the judging format is in order. Perhaps the voting is done by the participants themselves; they vote for their top three (can not vote for yourself of course). In order to minimize the effect of blocks of friends all voting the same way, there remain 3 or 4 official judges, whose votes are weighted more than the participant votes. Also, I think if would be good to see judging criteria established (i.e. application of the theme, animation, set design, etc.) as well as a definitive scale for each element of the judging criteria (1 - 10 scale) That is how the judges would determine their top three. Obviously there would be a lot of details to iron out but this is just a high level suggestion.

THAC is a great contest; winning THAC is a great badge of honor. I hope to participate next time.

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

THAC and BRAWL need to happen only once a year in my opinion. More of a novelty that way.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Gentrystudios wrote:

I really think the THAC mod should be not in every frame, but every shot(or scene, angle, etc.) Since i'm homeschooled, it doesn't really matter when the contests are for me:)

Same.

Want to THAC Want to THAC. mini/sunnies

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

AlNickelsFilms I couldn't agree more with what you said!

THAC is THE magic annual event around christmas, saying you want more THAC a year is like saying "hey, let's have christmas twice!" Participation would suffer as well as the thrill of it mini/yes

After reading through many posts I think that there's a general consensus about the mod being in each shot, instead of each frame. Agreed mini/sunnies

Concerning the "C" in THAC I like it! In my opinion there is no need to have prizes at all, since the ranking has enough prestige for a brickfilmer mini/bigsmile Though a ranking system like this would be great, it definitely needs polishing and discussion how what is rated. Or it's just up to the host mini/sunnies

I have never been able to participate in BRAWL, but there again: Let it be ONE contest per year!

PunBB bbcode test