Topic: Horror Movie Classic Feeling

Hello! I'm planning to do a horror film and I'm not sure if I should do subtitles for when my characters are talking to give it that classic horror feeling. Do you think I should do subtitles? Or should I try something else to still give it that classic horror feeling?

Re: Horror Movie Classic Feeling

You should try something else. When I see subtitles, I don't think of 'Golden Age' horror movies. Perhaps you were referring to title cards? Either way, I prefer sound or even silence to subtitles/ title cards.
A good way to give it a 'classic' horror movie atmosphere is to use black and white and use similar music. I recommend using the wardrobe of such movies when looking for inspiration for designing the appearance of your characters. Another thing that would help you is to watch movies from that era. Hitchcock films are an obvious choice. Study the cinematography and other elements.

Don't use silent film title cards for talking.  Those usually just looks kinda silly.  Just have the characters talk and you don't need subtitles.

You could try switching the film to greyscale or muting the colours and amplifying the contrast.  My old film Mailbox of Doom was meant to be a mock-horror film which I made for Halloween.  I muted the colours on the which gave it a pretty cool look.

Also, the wonderful thing about making an old horror-ish film is that it's kinda okay sometimes if you can't stop the light flicker.

"a word is worth a thousand letters"
I advise you to give an horror atmosphere of:

1 give a monochrome look
2 shoot many scenes in the dark
3 apply a flickering light
4 create a monster / serial killer really fantastic

And however the subtitles they do not give an air of waiting that can give a voice

Last edited by Squirrels Armed Studios (January 16, 2014 (07:06am))

-  Don't trust of the squirrels   -

Use voice acting, just make sure the voices aren't garbage.

Part of horror films is being immersed in it. Reading subtitles never worked well for that.

Unless your me, whos practicing to convey emotions and such without voices. mini/blankexpression

The other suggestions about the films actual look are correct.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help mini/bigsmile