Topic: well, that's it, I think I've kicked the bucket!

That's my productivity and creativity talking, in the making of my last film, which took about 3weeks longer then the planed week to make, I think my creativity died. Not that I don't have ideas, just seem to suck. And before that, people have been saying that my last 3 films give off the general feeling of 'meh'.

Just worked hard on my films(like I always do) and I have had negative feed back. mini/sad almost feels overly negative. Like, yeah, this part was OK, but the rest...... Yuck!. mini/sad

Kinda makes it hard. Guess I just wrote this to complain.

Is there much I can do?

Re: well, that's it, I think I've kicked the bucket!

Ok, number 1 rule of filmmaking:

Never take anything personally.

Just because people give you lots of negative feedback, its not because they don't like you, its because they are trying to help you get better. No matter how mean it seems, just remember that its not a personal blow. Instead, welcome this criticism with open arms because the audience will see things you won't. (Flattery, on the other hand, gets you no where.)

As far as your creativity goes, that's harder. If you really like animation, but have no ideas, why not try re-creating movie/book scenes? If you don't like animating itself (like me) then quitting might be a good idea. If you really wanted you could get another member to write for you.

If you want to quit, that's really up to you. I don't know what you are thinking.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Really if anything, feedback that isn't perfect should inspire one to go even beyond what they've already done.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

In my earlier days of brickfilming (2010-2011), I got loads of bad feedback. Most viewers (some who never even made a brickfilm themselves!) would play the "ololol u suk? go die somewhere lulz" card--including some on these forums--but some would write a really helpful, fleshed-out review, explaining what they liked and disliked about the film. Sure, some "reviewers" would be negative, but that never stopped me! If it did, I wouldn't be making any more brickfilms today; just imagine if I had never have made "Obscured Outlooks". mini/eek

The point here is: never quit because of a review. That's actually, for me, the fun part of filmmaking: to see if anyone wants to share some positive feedback for once. How about I help you out with this? How about your "Literally" series? It won't help you widen your audience if you constantly make episodes of a series that not many would want to see; then you won't get a lot of feedback.

Now, you might not like it. But, you should try to make films over the running time of eighteen seconds. Then, you might--just might--get some more feedback for your brickfilms. And work on your animation, a little. You seem to be capable of creating a good musical score (according to the last film that Funmi Productions put out), but your animation does seem a little choppy. I encourage you to please work on that a little, and get others to voice act for you. This has helped me a lot in the brickfilming field; I used to be the only voice actor in my older brickfilms, whether the storyline consisted of one character or nine. That really didn't work for me; all the characters in my films would sound the same, and that's a problem that I know many, many other brickfilmers have to tackle. The solution is contact other people to be in your films. You're blessed, Cooked Cat, to be on a website chock-full of hundreds of other talented filmmakers, who double as talented voice actors. Don't be afraid to contact them. They will make your brickfilm so much better; trust me, I speak from experience.

Now back to improving your animation: create animation tests and post them on the WIPs and Tests forum. That area gets just as much feedback as the Releases forum. You will receive plenty of positive feedback there. mini/wink

And that's the thing, Cooked Cat. The way I look at it, there is no such thing as negative feedback. All feedback is positive through my eyes/ears/whatever. No matter what the words might say, if feedback encourages me to continue making brickfilms, it is positive to me. But hey, that's just my non-pessimist outlook on things.

I cannot stress the lesson to be learned here; don't quit brickfilming because of a few measly words. Don't even think about it, it's simple. Just don't do it. mini/no Keep doing what you're doing, and don't do it.

Last edited by Mickey (January 5, 2014 (10:48am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

ok, thanks guys, yeah, I should do some longer ones, I'll aim for a longer one 30s - 1min a month.
@mickey, so, you mean the series, or you'd just like longer episodes?

Mickey wrote:

If it did, I wouldn't be making any more brickfilms today; just imagine if I had never have made "Obscured Outlooks". mini/eek

That would indeed have been a very fateful day.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Onion wrote:
Mickey wrote:

If it did, I wouldn't be making any more brickfilms today; just imagine if I had never have made "Obscured Outlooks". mini/eek

It truly would have been a very horrendous day indeed

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:
Onion wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Oh gosh, I can't even start to imagine the pain that that day would bring.

GHB wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:
Onion wrote:

Oh gosh, I can't even start to imagine the pain that that day would bring.

You people make no sense, it wouldn't have been one day in particular. We would have never had obscured outlooks...everyday [insert horror theme here]

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Laugh at the adversity!  If others' criticisms are constructive, they will offere suggestions as how to impove.  As for the totally neg comments... ignore them.  They're not worth the time.  And keep at it and you'll figure out how to make better films through experience.  Practice makes perfick.

Oh, by the way, there will be spells where the creativity runs dry.  Then there are times when you're bursting with it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

What did the bucket ever do to you!?

@Rockydude
the bucket? oh, dont get me started.

yeah, well, i think im back on track. it wasnt that i didnt have Idea's. just didnt have the motivation.

Cooked Cat wrote:

I think I've kicked the bucket!

http://www.coffee-monster.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/inconceivable.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

@smeagol
yeah, as mentioned, it was my creativity talking, and if creativity can talk, it can speak of its own demise. also, LOVE That movie!

Cooked Cat wrote:

@smeagol
yeah, as mentioned, it was my creativity talking, and if creativity can talk, it can speak of its own demise. also, LOVE That movie!

In such a situation, the creativity would be dead, therefore unable to speak. mini/blankexpression

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I feel the same way cooked cat as you do in regard to creativity. I find myself thinking of stories, writing them down into scripts. but after while I get bored with the story.  even if I  get to the animation part, it doesn't come out how I want and I get discouraged.