Re: 2015: The Contest

A mod should move this to Contests & Festivals. I could see if I could possibly supply a prize.

A mod should.

I'm currently discussing prizes with Willow Tree, but I shall remember that LASF and I'm grateful. I'll message you once I've got some more things straight.

BTW who are the mods?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

A mod should.

I'm currently discussing prizes with Willow Tree, but I shall remember that LASF and I'm grateful. I'll message you once I've got some more things straight.

BTW who are the mods?

Smeagol, Lechnology, Hazzat, Hoogle, Repelling, Noodle, etc.

Merci beaucoup!

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Merci beaucoup!

De rien!

jampot wrote:

I'll try and address everything in one post.

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

I was rereading the rules again and

A plot synopsis. Somewhere around 60 words, and no spoilers.
A full plot outline. Word count to be established later, though it should really be about 600 words (as you get on sites like Wikipedia.

Is this really nessasary? Especially since the entries will be a fake trailer or a part of a film.

Well yes. You need to make it clear to the judges that there's actually a driving plot behind the rest of the 'film' If you made the trailer out of random sequences that you thought were cool without knowing what the story behind them was, chances are that the trailer wouldn't make sense. Less so for the film segment, since you're actually including a solid narrative there, but it's still important.

Besides, when Hollywood trailers are released, what do you get in their descriptions? Plot synopses. It's pretty essential.

Yeah, but, 600 words.

…is nothing.  For my film course, I've written 2,000 words of an essay and a 1,100 word research catalogue. For english literature, I've written and am redrafting a 3,000 word essay on tragedies. That's all in the last two and a half months alone. Over the past six months, I've written 89,000 words of a novel or an extended project at college, plus a 2,300 word report.

I'm not trying to fluff out my chest and brag, but 600 words really isn't that much. If you know how the story's going to go, then 600 words will fly by. Trust me.

LASF wrote:
jampot wrote:

A mod should.

BTW who are the mods?

Squash and Jargon, too, though Jargon has apparently been inactive for quite a while.

Also, since when is Repelling a mod?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:
LASF wrote:
jampot wrote:

A mod should.

BTW who are the mods?

Squash and Jargon, too, though Jargon has apparently been inactive for quite a while.

Also, since when is Repelling a mod?

For a bit now, actually.

i'll do it! but from what I understood from your conversation earlier, I could make a 10 min. film but it was originally supposed to be a trailer?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you rephrase the question?

You need to make either a 5 to 8 minute segment of a feature film (by which I mean a 90 to 2 hour long production) or a 2 to 3 minute trailer for said feature film, but you should not make the whole film. Just the segment or trailer.

I have a question. Can I take the audio from a film and use it for my video? E.G. Recording the Battle of Helms deep on my computer and using the audio from the sceen.

No. No music or audio that's copyrighted. Any music or sound effects that you use have to be in the public domain or you need to have the express permission of the owner.

Also, your segment or trailer is from your own fictional movie; it cannot be directly related to a real movie. You can do something in the cinematic style of a real movie, but your entry cannot be something that already exists. No Star Wars, Batman, Lord of the Rings etc. It has to be your own invention.

Ok. I thought this contest was for recreating scenes from real films. Now I understand. mini/smile

Noooo, I'm pretty sure I made that clear. Remaking scenes from films would be really unproductive and unoriginal.

Oh yeah! This contest is sweet, I'm looking forward to start working on my entry. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/0X6EoJh.jpg
YouTube Channel : All My Links ↑Click for newest animation!↑

Ok, I am a little confused about the deadlines and upload dates. If the deadline is May 1st of 2015, shouldn't we have the videos uploaded, set as unlisted, and entered into the contest before that date? In the past, the videos had to be uploaded and set as unlisted so that no one but the judges could view them. We were then allowed to make the videos public after the deadline. Will this be the case this time, or am I misunderstanding this? Thanks!

MSEP

I hadn't thought about doing that, as I can't see why the entries shouldn't be visible to all after the upload date. You can upload them the day before if you think it will take that long, but no more, and they should remain unlisted until May 1st.

Double post, but it's important.

Prizes
Thanks to the great generosity of several members, 2015: The Contest now has prizes! They are as follows:

1st place
$100 (provided by Willow Tree)

2nd place
$50 (provided by Willow Tree)

3rd place
$50 (provided by Willow Tree)

Honorable Mention
Rebel Trooper battle pack, provided by JonnDthunDer.
Note: this is US-only, as the pack will not be shipped outside of the United States.

Runner-up prizes
3 runners-up will each receive a minifigure pack - series unknown at this time, though likely to be the LEGO Movie or the upcoming Series 12 - provided by LASF.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a hearty thanks to Willow Tree, JonnDthunDer and LASF for their generosity in contributing to the prize fund! I can't thank you guys enough for making this contest even more special and worthwhile!

That's the update. See, it was worth double-posting mini/lol

Can my entry already be part of a series I'm doing?