Topic: Definition of "brickfilm"

What's the definition of the term ”brickfilm”?

I think use of the stop-motion technique (to some extent) is one condition that has to be meet to call it a “brickfilm”. But is it? What's the definition?

Re: Definition of "brickfilm"

le Verbose Carousel Concise Guide to Vernacular:

Brickfilm Definition:

"A cinematographic technique where in which an individual gradually alters the position of an inanimate subject, specifically that of brick-based and/or construction toy origin, between camera shots, creating an illusion of independent motion."

A film with bricks in it.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Can the film be made entirely with CGI, and no stop-motion at all, and still be called a brickfilm?

I call a film consisting mostly of stop-motion animation using models created mostly out of construction toys, preferably Lego brand.

To me a 100% CGI film isn't a brickfilm technically, because there are no real "bricks" being animated.  But that's a topic of debate.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

something that oozes out of the cracks in bricks i think

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Brickfilms, to me, are fun stop motion animations made with LEGO pieces. I think a true brickfilm is primarily made of LEGO, but some Megabloks (GASP), CGI, etc is okay.

For me, the definition of a Brickfilm is a stop-motion animation made with construction bricks eg Lego, Mega Bloks etc, although I don't count cgi as a form of a physical Brickfilm, my mind will most likely change on February 14th.

Sylther wrote:

Can the film be made entirely with CGI, and no stop-motion at all, and still be called a brickfilm?

I wish you hadn't opened that can of worms again; last time we had this debate it went on for like a month. Most people consider a brickfilm to be made with stop motion, but a few people will argue for CGI until the cows come home. Personally I'm not really sure, and I just woke up so I'm way to tired to think about it. mini/tongue I certainly enjoy stop motion more, but I'm not sure we'll ever settle on whether it's really part of the definition of brickfilming or not.