Re: The Future of THAC (and BRAWL)

I'm all for more BRAWL and THAC's cause it's so much fun (I don't care about prizes cause I'm never gonna get near that territory anyway)

Yes.

I'm not sure if I've already commented on this but I really think that this is a good idea. I'm pretty sure after every contest we always say how much we'd like to have another during the year. THAC especially; its a single day contest so it can done pretty much any holiday, and during the long summers I'm sure we'd all appreciate getting to do one. Easter would be another great time. I think similar goes for BRAWL.

Also, me and Squid were talking about this on skype, and what would be the story with hosting a 48 hour contest? I'm not sure what the practicalities are but it seems kinda interesting to us anyway. Just a thought.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

This sounds absolutely awesome! I agree with everything you said. My first worry, however, would be the potential of any of these contests interfering with films that were working on. My other worry would be my family's tolerance for me having 4 contests in a year, but I think I could work something out. But anyway, I'm totally for this!

Last edited by GHB (January 2, 2014 (11:27am))

Lucas wrote:

I'm all for more BRAWL and THAC's cause it's so much fun (I don't care about prizes cause I'm never gonna get near that territory anyway)

Preach it sister!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I think one THAC and one BRAWL a year is perfect.  I would also like to see the "Annual BIM contest" get some of it's glory back.

Also, prizes for these 3 contests are not that important.  Just winning one of these three contests is very prestigious.

I think we should stay with one THAC but maybe having 2 BRAWLs (so if people miss one they can do the other or just do both) possibly early and late in summer.

What if there was a month long brickfilm contest?  It would be like BRAWL, but last for a month. Month of Brickfilming -(MOB)!

thefourmonkeys wrote:

What if there was a month long brickfilm contest?  It would be like BRAWL, but last for a month. Month of Brickfilming -(MOB)!

That would be cool mini/smile

thefourmonkeys wrote:

We had that a couple of years ago, it was called Septemberfest.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Onion wrote:
thefourmonkeys wrote:

We had that a couple of years ago, it was called Septemberfest.

If I remember correctly that didn't take off much, although I could be wrong.

As for THAC and BRAWL, once a year seems pretty optimal, and winter/christmas break is most definitely that best time to host THAC (although that means people like me who go on vacation during the break don't get to enter). What would really fill the gap would be for the annual contest to take off again, which would also (hopefully) mean more community interaction throughout the year, instead of only at two (or really one) focal points each year.

Now, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, as I haven't been active since THAC 8. But, as a sort of outsider from the core BIM community, THAC was inviting this year, and I think last year as well. I would have entered if I was home, and I was inspired to think about some of my old ideas again. I don't know if that magic would exist if THAC were twice a year.

tl;dr - THAC and BRAWL once a year, THAC in winter. If the annual contest picked up steam it would fill the year up nicely, although I don't know how to make that happen. THAC makes me want to enter each year, and make brickfilms again.

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

Actually BWJC, that got quite a good following. Septemberfest was a big success, but as you said, I could be wrong as well. Others have requested that Septemberfest make a comeback to the forums, but no matter however many times people say they "want another Septemberfest", I don't think anybody has actually picked the contest up again...oh well.

Last edited by Mickey (January 4, 2014 (08:12pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Septemberfest was fun. I'd recommend it be done during Fall Break (October) so it could be the grand ol' Octoberfest, but most people usually go out of town for that.

I too would like to see some one host Septemberfest this year. It was a fun "event" and I would like to see it become a thing.

Hmm, well maybe a month long contest would be a good idea, but not in September if BRAWL is in August. Looking back Septemberfest did get nearly thirty entries, which is pretty good IMO.

CarrollFilms wrote:

I'd recommend it be done during Fall Break (October)

I didn't know there was such a thing.

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

CarrollFilms wrote:

If it were a seasonal contest then somebody could just go "Oh darn, I missed this THAC, I can always do the one in the fall."

Well, that would still be better for those who wait all year just to have some reason why they couldn't participate last minute. Then, that person's like; "Darn, I missed THAC, now I've gotta wait a whole other year!" - This may or may not be speaking from experience, mind you. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

If it were a seasonal contest then somebody could just go "Oh darn, I missed this THAC, I can always do the one in the fall."

Well, that would still be better for those who wait all year just to have some reason why they couldn't participate last minute. Then, that person's like; "Darn, I missed THAC, now I've gotta wait a whole other year!" - This may or may not be speaking from experience, mind you. mini/tongue

Then don't miss THAC. I've done THAC out of state 2 different times. One was in Louisiana where I brought over 10 pounds of LEGO. The other year was only 2 hours south from my house. Ended up bringing 8 tubs of LEGO.

Not to sound like a !@#$%^ but if you miss THAC that's to bad. Just because a few people miss THAC that doesn't mean the other 70+ people should have to be taken out on it.

Making THAC twice a year not only ruins the beautiful THAC tradition, it just doesn't make it as hyped up as it is every year. I look forward to doing THAC, especially after Christmas and getting all the new equipment/LEGO.

I have to agree with Carrol on the once a year bit, BUT, I think we should do Thac A and Thac b to give those who missed thac A an opportunity to still participate. You can't enter both. I think it's a really strong method, and Thac A would be the main event, Thac B is just a catchup. Thac B would be one week after thac A, and they're all judged in the same contest, just split up for those who are going to miss A.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

I think this might of been suggested before, but the problem is that the people in THAC B  then know the theme for a week longer or if they have a different theme its not really fair. And if THAC As theme was only told privately to participates then the whole community element of the contest would be removed with no one publically speaking about it to each other!

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Perhaps one THAC, a couple of BRAWLs?

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

Perhaps one THAC, a couple of BRAWLs?

That sounds nice. I saw that idea come up a few times.

The thing with having two THACs a year is that there would be (most likely) less entries per THAC, for the person knows they have a chance to enter the upcoming THAC if they missed the current one.

CarollFilms wrote:

Not to sound like a !@#$%^ but if you miss THAC that's to bad. Just because a few people miss THAC that doesn't mean the other 70+ people should have to be taken out on it.

I agree.

One THAC and two BRAWLs has been my favorite of the ideas proposed so far.