Re: The Future of THAC (and BRAWL)

Personally, I was more than happy with the previous arrangement. Maybe its because I'm a 'life sucks and then you die' kind of person, but I like the fact that THAC is so unforgiving. You don't include the mod element in a single frame: DISQUALIFIED! You drop out because you ran out of time/aren't happy with your entry/had a heart attack: WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD (this is why I would make a terrible teacher/parent)

It means that when you complete the contest, you feel like you've achieved something. You've carved your name into the great stone mountain of history...even if the only spot you can find is right at the bottom next to the engraving of a phallus.

Apart from trying to animate an explosion using real fireworks, THAC is as hardcore as Brickfilming can get. You work solid for 24 hours (well, 15, then a nap for me). You lose sleep. You don't see the sun. You eat enough KitKat bars to choke a Sarlaac to death. This year I did that all with a throat that felt like I'd had a bleach and pine-needle smoothie (sorry to everyone I voice-acted for. I wish I could have done a better job), but when I finished my entry, I felt like I'd created something unique. Its not a masterpiece - its actually quite medicore - but I'd created a near-four min film that included both French stereotypes, German stereotypes, and English stereotypes - all accompanied with goofy accents - in 24 hours from scratch. I don't know many other people who can do that.

And I've never won THAC, but I've always wanted to just so I can saunter into a room and say: "I created a short animated film featuring LEGO in 24 hours, and it beat 73 other short animated films featuring LEGO made in 24 hours. Where is my crown?"

I personally think this would be ruined if after all this toil, I then turned around to all the other dischevelled Brickfilmers and said "Right, see you all again in two months!"

But thats just me - and I'm completely insane. CHEESE PENGUINS. LION BANANAS. EGG KIM JONG-UN.

Last edited by Max Butcher (December 30, 2013 (08:06am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I agree with Jampot, two THACs and one BRAWL would work best. I certainly wish there would be another THAC soon because I accidentally missed this years one! mini/what

I agree with Butchmeister here, in that completing THAC is a 'hardcore brickfilming achievment' (I'd never thought of putting it that way, but it works), but I think there can be two a year. Then it's only a tiny bit less hardcore mini/bigsmile

As for BRAWL, only one a year, and in the summer. Asking for a week's worth of solid work from participants is quite a request, especially to those with other commitments in the real world. Not everyone who wants to enter will be physically able to at certain times of the year.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I actually don't think that we especially need two BRAWLs very much.  Jampot makes a very good point.  Though, I still might enter two BRAWLs.  BRAWL is totally my game.  I can actually make a decent film and have the HD final version uploading at the end and still have time for sleep, posting frames of my film, and time to talk with the community some.  I never feel like I have enough time for any of that in THAC.

Also, Max actually makes a really good point there.  The unforgiving part of it does make it interesting.  I'm not sure about it though.

Perhaps instead of duplicating anything we could only add more contests.  The year then would have several completely separate brcikfilming holidays with various levels of difficulty.

I like the idea of two THACs because, for me at least, THAC brings about a revival of interest in brickfilming.  This year I hadn't animated since school started, in late August, and I have a rekindled intrest after participating.  I think if there was a THAC in the summer, it would inspire more brickfilming in general.

What's the future of the annual Bim contest?

funmiproductions wrote:

I think that takes place kinda mid-year. Correct me if i'm wrong.

funmiproductions wrote:

Sméagol made a seperate thread for that. He said he was displeased with the turnout of Kitchen Sink, and I guess, due to other schedule conflicts, did not host a BiM 2013 contest this past summer. That is why an unofficial summer "Contrast" was held in the place of a BiM 2013 by Squash, instead of the Big Sméag himself. In other words, I wouldn't count on there ever being a such thing as BiM 2014, and the future of these contests doesn't look very bright. And if there is a BiM 2014, then it will probably be another unofficial contest that only a handful of forum-goers will enter. And it will probably be hosted by another administrator other than Sméagol.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

As Hazzat stated, THAC is more special when it's once a year, better to keep it that way. There are a bunch of other unofficial contests to enter during the year anyways.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14493643070_db4eab9412_o.png

AniMax wrote:

As Hazzat stated, THAC is more special when it's once a year, better to keep it that way. There are a bunch of other unofficial contests to enter during the year anyways.

I actually kind of agree with this. I think of THAC like Christmas, it's a special time that comes once a year. It would lose some of that special-feeling.

Yes, I just want to reiterate that I strongly believe THAC should remain a contest and be held only once a year, during Christmas break.

Shall we just call it a day on this thread and leave things as they are, though possibly make the THAC mod element every shot rather than every frame? I think we're going round in circles here: everyone's either given their point, or emphasised someone else's point.

Hazzat, final word is still yours matey. Ya harr.

BTW the idea of more unofficial other contests is a good one. Okay, okay, I'll stop now. Post ended. FWOOOOSH

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I agree with Jampot

Having ONE THAC A YEAR really gives it a big build up and everyone looks forward to doing it.

If THAC were to go "twice a year" it doesn't really seem as hyped up of an event. I wait 365 days for THAC every year which is what makes it so special.

If it were a Bi-contest contest then somebody could go "Oh darn, I missed this THAC, I can always do one in the fall." I think we should keep THAC a "once a year contest" I don't really care much for BRAWL.

I love THAC because you are under a clock and there is a whole lot more pressure and stress in those 24 hours than there are of those 7 days.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I agree with Sean, the one year thing makes THAC special.

But to answer Hazzat's other questions

"Should we change the mod element to only be in every shot, rather than every frame?"

I would recommend it be in every shot, but I like tradition (every frame) but some people make films that have not a whole lot of set design and most of the time it plays along with their story very well. If you have an open field you can't expect someone to have the letter "T" in plain sight or a Grey and Red brick just randomly in view. It would work better if were just in the beginning of the shot that way it still counts instead of it having to be in EVERY SINGLE FRAME.

"Should THAC even be a contest at all? To me it was always about the participation, rather than actually winning anything?"

I, for one, don't care about winning. It's about fun. I love THAC because everyone gets together on skype and we just chat it up until the sun goes down and comes up. There is no other event in the world that allows me to have so much fun with so many people all around the world.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I never cared about winning. The THAC experience is a prize itself.

CarrollFilms wrote:

"Should THAC even be a contest at all? To me it was always about the participation, rather than actually winning anything?"

I, for one, don't care about winning. It's about fun. I love THAC because everyone gets together on skype and we just chat it up until the sun goes down and comes up. There is no other event in the world that allows me to have so much fun with so many people all around the world.

love this answer!! i agree

there's a real wonderful spirit of community and fun during thac. love it. doesn't matter if it's a contest or not!!

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

The C in THAC does stand for Contest, though.
I guess it could come to mean challenge, though.

But even without prizes, I still like trying to win a decent place on the score.

Sorry to go back to an already heavily discussed main question but...
I think an additional summer THAC held on a weekend in early July would suit many as GCSEs/A levels are done by then and most other school age people are on holiday or at least school has started winding down. Also at Christmas many of us have family commitments (which is why I ended up failing to enter) and this means that I don't think Winter would suited to BRAWL and it should stay where it is.

In addition I don't think there needs to be a THAC/BRAWL in the Spring since there's usually an Easter competition

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (December 31, 2013 (05:41am))

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator