Re: The Future of THAC (and BRAWL)

I don't think BRAWL is popular enough to warrant two a year. THAC is, but I think it probably would hurt participation. And change the mod element thing, obviously.

2 cents.

To be honest, I personally like this new concept. For having THAC twice a year, means brickfilmer's who missed one of them, can participate in the next in under a year's length of time, but as mentioned, doing one THAC is tiresome as it is, never mind two. As for BRAWL, this idea is a thumbs up!

Two THACs, one BRAWL.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Hazzat wrote:

The contest is meant to be hard, but I saw people break down, become reduced to tears, proclaim they were done with brickfilming forever and apparently Squid got so delirious that he chatted in a rather out-of-character manner in a Skype call for an hour, then completely lost any memory of it happening.

A breakdown over a brickfilming contest?  My schoolwork alone is enough potential nervous-wreck-material to last me several years at least... mini/dizzy

Seriously though, I wish I could have entered THAC, it sounds really fun, but for me a bunch of stuff got in the way this year.  Oh well, I guess there's always next year...

For me personally, I'd find a summer THAC most convenient, since the room I use as a studio (which is really the only suitable room in my house) belongs to another family member.  Which normally isn't a problem as he's gone most of the year, but the Christmas holidays is the one time he's usually around--which makes it more awkward for me to brickfilm around this time.  But that's just my personal situation.  (I'm not even sure I'll be able to enter THAC--I'm not an experienced animator and have had pretty much nil practice since the summer, plus my camera set-up isn't really ideal for 24 hours or so of continuous use--but I digress....)

Two THACs a year could hurt participation, but on balance I think that, since it's BiM's biggest contest (I think), having two a year would give brickfilmers more opportunities and might possibly increase traffic/new members on this site since it's so popular.  Plus it should be pretty easy to squeeze in as it's only 24 hours.  I'm not sure if having BRAWL twice a year would work though.  Basically I'd go with what Jampot said.

Oh yeah, and definitely make the mod element per shot instead of frame.

I guess I'm hardly the person to write a rather lengthy post on this matter, but those are my thoughts.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you proposed. I'm regards to that being a contest, my 2c is that I'd enter it even without prizes. For me THAC is about challenging yourself more than other filmers.

I am in particular support of the mod element only being required once per shot. I always thought the "every single frame" where entries have hundreds and thousands of frames is a bit rough. Finishing a film in 24 hours is hard enough without trying to find creative and subtle ways of including the mod in every frame to show that you did so.

Last edited by Sean (December 29, 2013 (04:54pm))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

If there were more contests, then each one would probably have less entries.  But, I think that there would be more entries overall.
As a filmmaker might only enter one, but some people might enter both of the THACs in one year.
But already having 75 entries is quite enough.  And even half of that could still be a decent number.

I really think we should at least try it.  If it doesn't work out very well, we can always go back to the once a year thing.

You were talking about 2DAC (or something like that) in the chatroom yesterday. I'm guessing that's like THAC, but spread out over the course of two days, instead of just one. I'd be willing to do that, if you ever thought about bringing that to BiM.

About the THAC/BRAWL schedule, that just might work. The clever idea of putting week-long contests at the time of year when there's no school to worry about, and having THAC over a simple weekend just might work. It is just your idea though. But, if you really wanna go through with it, I say "Why not?"

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

a two-day contest sounds very interesting.  I've actually been wanting one to exist for a while.  It needs a good name, though.

I dunno about this. I like THAC in the wintertime, and BRAWL in the summertime. Hm. I don't know about anybody else, but THAC toys with my sleep schedule due to the fact that I stay up a whole 24 hours (more like 22 but whatever). This takes a toll on more than just that day. I like the idea of having multiple THACs/BRAWLs a year, but I'm not sure about this schedule.

Last edited by LASF (December 29, 2013 (07:11pm))

It was stated that two THACs decreased the amount of participants. The same might happen with a second BRAWL. I think it would be good to do some experimenting in 2014 and see if the amount of entries suffer (also because I liked BRAWL a lot and wanna do it again....alot).

It may lose participants because if have two in the summer people will get tired of it, if you spread it out to the winter and summer people might not be able to take a week out of the Christmas season, and if you spread it out to fall or spring people will be at work/school/jail (I hope not jail).

However, more people might enter two BRAWLS then two THACS because BRAWL is less stressful and eaiser to she dual your life around. You can make a small entry and do a bit of animation any couple days of the week you want.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

PushOverProductions wrote:

...BRAWL is less stressful and eaiser to she dual your life around...

I think you mean schedule.

Anyways, I agree with what you said about experimenting. The fun of THAC though is that you have such a confined time to work, and you focus on nothing but your film (and the Skype chat). I think that's why more people enter THAC.

Squid wrote:

a two-day contest sounds very interesting.  I've actually been wanting one to exist for a while.  It needs a good name, though.

There was a 2 day contest called the 2D contest (2 day).  I think Hazzat made an entry for it.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

LASF wrote:
PushOverProductions wrote:

...BRAWL is less stressful and eaiser to she dual your life around...

I think you mean schedule.

Anyways, I agree with what you said about experimenting. The fun of THAC though is that you have such a confined time to work, and you focus on nothing but your film (and the Skype chat). I think that's why more people enter THAC.

Oh. darn.

I didn't check for errors in that post because I was going to go have a meal.

EDIT: 2D sounds like fun! (My sister would never shut up about a certain boy band if I mentioned it though.)

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Did anybody record what Squid said in this Thac call. Cause, uh, I kinda wanna see it. mini/shifty

Also I would love to have two Thacs.

I would be extremely down with a 2 day animation contest.

Personally I don't care as much about prizes, I do these things for the self-challenge aspect, and also just a reason to push myself to actually animate at all. I think the same goes for most people.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean wrote:

IPersonally I don't care as much about prizes, I do these things for the self-challenge aspect, and also just a reason to push myself to actually animate at all. I think the same goes for most people.

I don't care about the prizes at all, really.
I entered BRAWL and won without expecting to get any prizes and I still feel really good about it.  Even if I didn't win I'm very happy to have made a decent film in such a short time.

Did anybody record what Squid said in this Thac call. Cause, uh, I kinda wanna see it.

I think MovieFigure said something about funsucker having recorded it and he was putting it together.  I'm not sure about that though.

I, too, am very interested in hearing this thing whatever it is which people said I did but do not remember doing.

I feel having BRAWL ad THAC where they are right now is the best time for each. I'd love to have both more often, but I feel that switching the time around or them isn't best.

Also, if Squid's okay with the THAC call being public, I'd love to hear it too.

Squid wrote:

I, too, am very interested in hearing this thing whatever it is which people said I did but do not remember doing.

You were saying that your THAC film was about the TF2 Engineer leveling his sentry up. The film was gonna be called You Can't Go Passed Four or something of that nature. Basically, you were just losing it.

If we make a Skype Call Madness video, I'm sure it'll be included.

We should keep the competitive aspect of having judges decide on the best overall films. And whilst prizes are more of a formality and extra icing on the cake, I think that they should still be included for the added incentive.

THAC is however mainly for the personal challenge part - a whole creative process of spark, planning, work, hate, and then relief all crammed into a short time. If I was going for prizes I wouldn't have entered this year because last year's were never given out anyway (although some sort of excuse or acknowledgement would've been polite).

mini/smile

Binding Brick wrote:

There was a 2 day contest called the 2D contest (2 day).  I think Hazzat made an entry for it.

It's true, although it was called 2D STAC (and what that stands for, we will never know. Even the host forgot). Here is that entry.

I'm all for mixing it up by doing stuff like starting the contest at midnight GMT, rather than midday. Everyone seems in favour of changing the mods appearances to per-shot, but it doesn't look like there's a consensus on when and how often it should be held...

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png