Topic: Tips and tricks for animating dialoge

Even when I prerecord test lines and used the computer's calculator to find how long a single frame is I end up just repeating a motion over and over until the time for that statement runs out(like in my prison escape video mini/rolleyes ). I asked the winner of my animation challenge about it he said his animation program has audio tracks (which mine doesn't have mini/blankexpression ). Does any one have any tips for doing actions synced with dialog using just programs like audacity and helium frog.

Re: Tips and tricks for animating dialoge

What I do usually is kind of just plan out what the dialog is supposed to look like, like just kind of show yourself what the finished movement is gonna look like. Then I just go for it, I try to emulate that movement to the best of my ability.

That's what I would do if I animated LEGO like a regular brickfilmer.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Ah yes, it's possible to figure out how to time animation with Audacity.

What I've done is put my audio into Audacity, then select the space between two points in the audio which I want something to happen between. There's three boxes along the bottom with numbers. In the middle box, make sure "Length" is selected and your units are in "hh:mm:ss + hundredths" (click on the little arrow to change it). Then take the number shown in this box and multiply it by your framerate. This will give you the number of frames between those two points in the audio (round to the nearest frame). When you animate, you will know how long to make the movement/pause so that it's synced to the audio.

However, unless you're doing mouth animation, you don't have to use that for dialog. What I do in my head is divide the line up into pieces (usually between punctuation marks, words like "and", or on emphasized words) and think of a movement to animate for each one. I try to break it up so the same movement isn't repeated too much in the same shot. After I film it, I add pauses between the movements, saying the line out loud to make sure I have the timing right. Then, in my editing program, I put the audio where it fits best.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I plan the motions that I want the character to make and animate them. I then put the frames in my movie editor, and duplicate frames to add pauses. It works pretty well.

MSEP

Email me at [email protected] - I have an entire chapter in my new brickfilming guide on dialogue animation.  It's also somewhere in this forum...

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I edit my videos on Sony Vegas Movie Studio, so I'm able to see the video and the audio simultaneously. I edit the arm movements (and more recently, lip movements) to match up with the dialogue. Vegas doesn't always let me be as precise as I would like to be, but it has worked out for the most part.

I also use Vegas.  It is great for lining up pix with the audio wave.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I just write the script as if it's a short story, then I animate. Straightforward, but not as effective. I'm not too passionate about mouth animation, but that might be laziness. I should try it on some shorts soon.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

I use Vegas to put my videos together(after animating thru iKIT 3.2) and i just put the audio over the video track, and match it with the video.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

END films wrote:

Even when I prerecord test lines and used the computer's calculator to find how long a single frame is I end up just repeating a motion over and over until the time for that statement runs out(like in my prison escape video mini/rolleyes ). I asked the winner of my animation challenge about it he said his animation program has audio tracks (which mine doesn't have mini/blankexpression ). Does any one have any tips for doing actions synced with dialog using just programs like audacity and helium frog.

You could try using Papagayo
Load your wav file, type in the dialogue, and the program will help you choose phonemes for the right segment of speech. You still have to poke around a bit, tweaking here and there, but you can then export a "dat" file in ASCII which you can use with your film. (Don't forget to change the fps from 24fps, the default, if yours is different).