Topic: Contrast Results!

Here they are: the official unofficial contest results!

First off, I'd like to extend a round of congratulations to everyone who entered. Completing a film for a contest with a two-month deadline is a great achievement- and given the turnout for previous official contests, arguably more challenging than completing a THAC. As you may already be aware, we received fourteen entries total, from seasoned brickfilmers and newcomers alike.

Here's how the judging worked:

There were four categories, totaling up to 100 points. The categories and their respective point values were:

Theme (20pts): Does the film feature, at its core, elements of contrast? Is it innovative in its portrayal of these elements?
Audio (20pts): Encompasses both music (original and pre-existing) and sound effects. Is the audio of good quality, and does it work well within the context of the film?
Visuals (20pts): Animation, cinematography, and build/set quality all played a part in determining the score for this category.
Story (40pts): Was the story interesting, original, and cohesive?

Without further adieu, I present the final results of Contrast 2013!

And the top three entries:

3rd place: Sylther - Pros and Cons - 71.33 points
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Squash/contrast/contrastsylther.png

2nd place: FlyingMinifig - Monochrome - 74.67 points
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Squash/contrast/contrastmf.png

1st place: JonnDthunDer - Perpetual Twilight - 75.67 points
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Squash/contrast/jonncontrast.png

A round of applause for the winners! I'll be contacting each of you shortly to discuss your prizes.

If anyone is interested in seeing complete categorical results for their individual film, those can be found here.

Don't feel bad if you got a low score- all that really means is that you should focus on practicing and improving in that area. On a whole, this year's entry pool tended toward younger members, so it's understandable that there are still rough edges to be worked out in a lot of the films. The important thing is that I can see obvious improvement in all of these films relative to your older work. So keep filming! The more you practice, the better you'll become!

Great job to everyone who entered, and thank you for helping to make this contest a reality.

Re: Contrast Results!

Congrats to the winners. All the top 5 deserved to be there.

6th place.  Wow.  That is A LOT better than I thought I was gonna do.  Congrats to the winners!

I'm not random, I start conversations.

Wish the results .png was organized by rank, it's hard to compare scores as is. mini/confused

Anyway, I sure was hoping for a higher score, but whatever. Top five is fine, and there's always next time.

Sylther, your profile says Denmark, so I really can't ship you the prize. Sorry man.
Congrats on the ranking though!

Also, good job to all the other entries, the results certainly held some unexpected surprises,
so congratulations to the winners!

congrats to the winners! loving these entries

i was working on an entry but my plans shattered to smithereens. woo hoo

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Wish the results .png was organized by rank, it's hard to compare scores as is. mini/confused

Anyway, I sure was hoping for a higher score, but whatever. Top five is fine, and there's always next time.

Sylther, your profile says Denmark, so I really can't ship you the prize. Sorry man.
Congrats on the ranking though!

Also, good job to all the other entries, the results certainly held some unexpected surprises,
so congratulations to the winners!

Google Docs was giving me trouble with the sorting, hence it being essentially unsorted. Even if it were sorted it would be by aggregate rather than the individual categories, so comparing them would only be marginally easier. Ultimately I want people to focus more on how different aspects of their film compared to each other than how their film compared to others' in each category.

The film with which I was most deeply involved won. mini/smile

I am pleased.

I wish Pritchard's entry got a bit higher though.

I wish I would've placed higher, darn it!

Oh wait I didn't enter...

Congratulations guys! Some great entries, especially the top five! mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Wow, second place!  Needless to say, I'm very happy.

Also, thanks to you, Squash, for organizing this contest and getting it off the ground.  And a big round of applause to all the other entrants and winners! mini/smile

And I'm guessing those are also the sigs?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Oh, of course. Feel free to use those as signatures if you so desire.

mini/bigsmile Wow! Fourth place...for my first ever contest, I'm quite pleased. Good job to the top three...you guys definitely deserved good scores. mini/smile
And thanks to Squash, for putting this thing together.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Very happy with the 3rd place!!!! mini/smile

Congrets to all!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Actually i'm in California right now, but if possible i would like to donate my prize to the GO-film contest if they are interested.

Thanks to Squash for hosting the contest and to the panel of judges!

I just want to make sure the prize distribution is clear- of the three prizes, none are assigned to a particular position; the first place winner can choose any one of the three prizes, second place chooses from the remainder, and third place gets whatever is left after that. Naturally if you want to donate the prize you get to GO-film that's still perfectly fine- just ensuring you all understand that although the DVD is listed as prize #3, it doesn't necessarily go to the third place winner. I've already sent off a PM to Jonn to find out which prize he would like.

Regarding the prizes, I happen to live Across the Pond in England, so I probably won't be able to get the 2nd or 3rd prize in any case.  Ah well, the joy of victory and the respect and admiration of my fellow Brickfilmers shall be enough to sustain me. mini/wink

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Not too low, not too high. I think me and Zac did fine in getting a good place in the results. Congrats to the entrants, especially the Top 3 winners!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Congratulations Jorden! You deserved it!
Also, congrats to all the other winners! Good job everyone!

Born 2 be brickfilmer.

www.youtube.com/paradisebricks

Coolio! I liked Monochrome the best but Perpetual Twilight was also really good. It had a very well-done script and I think you executed it awesomely. I love all the camera movement you incorporated (but I think you could have used more sound effects in that fight at the end.)
Overall, the top three are good job!! If I have time I will try to get around to watching the other films in this contest, but those are the only three I've watched yet.

Oh good, I'm glad to see all the entries gathered into one place. I look forward to properly watching all of them!

Wow, congratulations to all that entered! There were some superb films this time! I'm still a bit sad I didn't enter, but I don't know how well I would have stood against these films!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Congrats guys! Haven't watched all the films yet, but I'm sure they're great! I really didn't think I would get higher than 13th, so...ya.

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...