Re: Official LEGO Movie

MPfist0 wrote:

I like the fact that they tried to make Cgi look like stop motion. That's about it.
I'm not really intrigued by the story, and in some moments it just tried so hard to be funny, which just made it look dumb.
I hope it's just the trailer.

When I first saw it, I kind of agreed. I think the storyline is hillariously awesome, but like you said, they try to hard to make it funny. I don't think it should take away from the overall experience though, they try to be funny, and it appears as if they have so far succeded. And because it's by the creators of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, it will be simular to it's random, tryhard comedy. But again, it shouldn't change the overall experience. (Also, I really think that they should have used real Stop Motion as apposed to fake CGI)

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

The jokes/gags in the trailer might make my mom laugh (she loves Parks and Recreation, and Chris Pratt). But, I gotta agree with you guys. The humor and the film's storyline is mainly targeted at younger children, though.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

The jokes/gags in the trailer might make my mom laugh (she loves Parks and Recreation, and Chris Pratt). But, I gotta agree with you guys. The humor and the film's storyline is mainly targeted at younger children, though.

That it's mainly targeted at younger children doesn't mean it has to be stupid. But, the trailer's intention is to attract childrens to watch the movie, so it may be the reason of why the humor is... what it is (in the trailer).

This actually got me really excited. Sure I think some things like the Batman joke were kinda cheap, seeing as it was pretty much just a reference, and not even to anything lego really, as Batman was obviously a thing before Lego.

But I really love the animation style, at some points I actually thought some of it was stop motion, so I guess they did a really good job of emulating the style.

Gonna watch this when it comes out unless it starts to look horrible.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Like most films, I would think that most of the cheesy jokes and bits will be in the trailers to attract kids. So, hopefully the trailers will flush out most of them.

I wonder if there will be actual sets to promote the movie.

Chris W. wrote:

I wonder if there will be actual sets to promote the movie.

That'd be awesome!!!

Note to LEGO: this is the point where you step in with a new LEGO Studios line.

Hmm, not entirely sold on the mixing of licensed and non-licensed themes--it doesn't seem very LEGO-like to me.  Also, the facial animation looks a bit off to me, especially the wizard guy.

That being said, I'm still reasonably excited for this film--and with actors like Morgan Freeman participating, I have high hopes for this film.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Beautiful. This CGI stop-motion style is gorgeous and really restores my faith in LEGO in regards to movie making. I don't care that they didn't do real stop-motion, this is wonderful. I for one cannot wait.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

With actors like Morgan Freeman participating, I have high hopes for this film.

I know right! Who wouldn't want to see people like Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson in a brickfilm?

This has made me re-evaluate my decision of breaking out of the lego plastic model and making my CGI figs flexible.

I need to go home and rethink my life...

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

It looks like Charlieissocoollike will be voice acting apparently.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Who?

Mickey wrote:

Who?

Popular British Vlogger. On the occasion I quite like his videos.

I always knew this day would come. :')

uh oh!

I. cannot. wait. for. this. It looks amazing! I honestly would have preferred a little bit of stop motion but whatever. I can't believe they got these awesome actors in on this!

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

Seeing this kind of makes me want to get off my lazy butt and animate something.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Repelling Spider wrote:

Beautiful. This CGI stop-motion style is gorgeous and really restores my faith in LEGO in regards to movie making. I don't care that they didn't do real stop-motion, this is wonderful. I for one cannot wait.

Same here, this looks really cool, can't wait to see it.

minifig051 wrote:

Seeing this kind of makes me want to get off my lazy butt and animate something.

Ya, know what you mean. mini/wink

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Animation ew gross you lazy bums
I feel like if they are too lazy to work with real Legos the could have at least hired some of us BiMers!! Wtf ugh.

If I wasn't sitting in a law lecture at the time I read this I would have facepalmed harder than I ever have before. You'd think that stop motion animators, of all people, would realise just how time consuming and costly making this film in Stop Mo would be.

Making a feature length, "traditional" Brickfilm, whilst it would be heavily appreciated by the likes of ourselves would be an incredibly costly endeavour. CG is really the only cost effective way to do it. And it's obvious the painstaking efforts that have been made to realistically replicate a "traditional" stop motion style and feel. Even to the point where if you scrub through frame by frame, you'll see that it's been animated on twos.

I adore that they made the effort to make it look like legit, photographed Lego rather than the super smooth CG Lego they use for most marketing. And that they didn't use the "floppy" rigs that are common in their games and previous cinematic attempts.

Honestly, this is about as perfect as is reasonable to hope for.

I am excited.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Sean's right. It's fairly obvious that if the time and money were available, the creators would use stop motion, as opposed to CGI. The fact that it's animated on twos is incredible, thank you for pointing that out. Stop motion is expensive; The Pirates by Aardman was in production for five years, most studios just don't have that kind of time, and I'm guessing that this film probably doesn't have the same budget as some other big films. I'm really happy with the way they're using LEGO bricks for everything, even flames and lasers. my only complaint is that I hope the put a bit more detain into the faces, the looked pasted onto the minifigs in the trailer, although I have a feeling that will be fixed for the final film. I'm very excited for this. mini/smile