Topic: Official LEGO Movie

So this is awesome.

Last edited by Sméagol (June 20, 2013 (09:53am))

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: Official LEGO Movie

It... It looks like a brickfilm mini/bigsmile

Yeah I'm pretty excited for it. Looks awesome. Also they got Will Arnett as Batman which is like really cool

yeah this whole thing is awesome

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Heh, thought this was still in development hell. Looks pretty neat, and the cast is surprisingly robust. It's still a little disappointing that they opted for full CGI over stopmotion, but completely understandable given the style. I imagine if you go into it with the expectation that it'll be a well made, mildly amusing action-adventure with the standard children's film plot structure, it can't go too badly.

Squash wrote:

disappointing...full CGI...over stopmotion

My thoughts exactly. I mean, sure; who wouldn't love to see Will Arnett in a movie. But, I was left with the hope that they would go for a stop-motion animated film, instead of CGI with such good quality that it could be styled to look like it's a stop-motion animated film.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

It's interesting / pleasantly surprising to me that they went for sort of a stop-mo style. It does look like a brickfilm.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I think one reason that it looks like a brickfilm is that they don't bend knees and barley move the elbows, and the lasers are glowing lightsaber pieces (and they make the cgi look very real even the broken classic space chin strap). Looks great.

Last edited by END films (June 18, 2013 (07:23pm))

Morgan Freeman.

They got Morgan Freeman to be in this.

Yes. Just...so much yes.

Hmmm, I certainly like the stop-motion look, but I'm not sure about it's use in a feature film. Plus, I don't like the over-expressive facial animation.

After watching again, I'm sorta looking forward to it, but still can't get over the faces. It just ruins the seriousness of some of the characters. I'll obviously be keeping up with it's news, but probably won't spend my scanty theater money on it. But hey, it's got a great voice cast, so there's no way the acting will be bad.

Will Ferrel yay
Morgan Freeman yay
Animation ew gross you lazy bums
I feel like if they are too lazy to work with real Legos the could have at least hired some of us BiMers!! Wtf ugh.

Looks like a cute movie though. were they playing a trance remix of Take On Me in the trailer?

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Animation ew gross you lazy bums

what

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Compared to The Adventures of Clutch Powers, this is much, MUCH BETTER!!! The cast is great, the stop-motion style CGI is great, and the story looks pretty good too. Can't wait for this!

They're being phonies

I am pretty excited for this. mini/smile

:::: !important is the Jedi mind trick of CSS ::::

On that first shot, I actually wasn't sure it was CGI, love the style of animation, thank god it wasn't the same as the cutscenes you get in the lego games.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Also, in the scene where Batman appears, they got things like the slanted brick and cape textures spot on! I hope this doesn't goof up!

The animation could have been a lot worse. At least the textures look like real LEGO, and everyone moves very similar to stop-motion. The animators have clearly made an effort to keep a 'Lego' feel to this, which I admire a lot.

The only problem I have with this is that its not funny. The concept of an unwilling hero can easily lead to great humour, particularly in a world so whacky, and the only thing they can come up with so far is references. Not even parodies - just saying that something in the real world exists in this fictional world and moving on. I only snorted at the "2002 NBA team" reference, but only people who actually bought an NBA set would get the joke.

Then again, trailers are often deceptive. I always suggest that a trailer should make the film look as dumb as possible so it attracts a large crowd, then it turns out that the film is actually really cleverly done and it gets good reviews which will then attract all the people who said the trailer looked rubbish. Sure, some of the dumb people may not like it, but you already have their money and who listens to dumb people?

YouTube
Max, She/They

I loved the joke about "Hi Michelangelo!" I hope we get a Michelangelo Buonarotti minifig soon! mini/smile

I like the fact that they tried to make Cgi look like stop motion. That's about it.
I'm not really intrigued by the story, and in some moments it just tried so hard to be funny, which just made it look dumb.
I hope it's just the trailer.

MrMingleProductions wrote:

thank god it wasn't the same as the cutscenes you get in the lego games.

Or The Adventures of Clutch Powers style. That was horrible.