Topic: Do I need to write a story? (Screenplay, storyboard, etc.)

So guys, since my studio GHB Productions, is only one person and that person is me, do I really need to write a long detailed story? I mean, if I was gonna do casting calls, then yeah, I would write a story, but I don't do casting calls. And I probably won't until I'm a bit more experienced in making my own films. So I think I could just think the story through in my head. Main question: Do I really need to write a story if there's only one person doing the film?

Re: Do I need to write a story? (Screenplay, storyboard, etc.)

Typically, it's best to write things out.

I however, defy the norm, and have made several films just remembering everything I thought up, and filling in the rest with improv.
It works for me, but it may not be the best for everyone.

It's not absolutley necessary, but I find that it helps get my ideas organized.

If you have a film with dialog, it's a good idea to write a script so you can get the lines written down.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

What I think is if you're making a giant film with a casting call and everything, yes, write it all out. If you're making a a short Brickfilm that's under a minute or so, I wouldn't bother writing it out.

Yes, you should still write it down.
That way, your film will have more cohesiveness that if you just made everything up on the fly.
I tried to do that early on, and although it sorta worked, I find it's much better to write it all down.
You can also edit parts of the script, or get it reviewed by others much more easily if you have it all written down.
Trying to remember all the little details of the plot, sets needed, lines for voice actors, animation needed and everything else is just a pain. Writing it down doesn't take much of your time, and saves a lot of effort later down the road. mini/wink

Great thanks, everybody!

I'd recommend writing things down and plotting things beforehand. Even if you're making shorts where it's not really needed, it's  good habit to develop at this stage and it'll help you move on to bigger and better things more quickly.

I personally cannot do improv at all, and I usually forget my ideas after a day, so I do have to write them down, make a script and a storyboard. It is not unnecessary though. If you can think of things on the spot or remember your ideas, than you don`t have to do anything but start your animation. If you are like me and forget everything, then go ahead and start your storyboard.

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

I recommend writing down all the dialogue, setting, actions, etc.  You never know what was a great idea that you forget.  Also, when other actors are involved, it's best to have a script for them.  However, if you have an idea, especially a short one, and you can plan it out all in your head, more power to you.  My "Minimalist Association" wasn't scripted.  It was short, and the shortness was the basis of the joke itself, but I based it on a comic I drew in 1998, so I even then has something on paper.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."