Topic: Consensus on gore

What do people think about general blood and gore in brickfilms?...I personally don't mind it/like it (if done well of course) but I'd like to know what the community had to say on the subject.

Re: Consensus on gore

I find it tasteless sometimes but if it is really needed its fine!

It can be done with humour, I used red play dough so it is represented in a funny but none graphic way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5OmdF5Unck

(although there was one use of a naughty word, so I deliberately put my own age certificate on the film to be responsible re young viewers)

I, personally, don't like it... Something that can be (super) easily done in a brickfilm becomes old fast, as a lot of the newer inexperienced brickfilmers copy it to look like "better" film makers, when, that's not true.

I'm not saying all effects have to be complicated, but when it's super obvious that you just throw up a paper wall, or mold red clay onto a Lego's face, I don't like it. And besides, having used clay before - I know that some brands will stain your fingers, and others, over time, start to destroy the "plastic" in the Lego itself!

However, as this thread IS about gore in general, I'd say that I'm pretty much fine with cg blood done in a program (or even MS paint). If done right, it can make brickfilms more emotional/realistic... Which is nearly always a good thing.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Ironically, I think the overuse of gore just makes something funny (see Evil Dead 2 and Braindead) - whilst being restrained makes it more horrifying (see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween). The same goes with Brickfilms.

I will say that decapitation just looks hilarious in Brickfilms. In fact, dismemberment as a whole in Brickfilms looks comedic considering LEGO isn't exactly firmly attached. It doesn't look like Saving Private Ryan so much as Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I don't like it.

It doesn't fit in at all with LEGO.  You can easily convey violence without the need to resort to using blood.  Not to mention that it's pretty incongruous to see little plastic people suddenly start seeping gore from wounds all over their body.  Clay doesn't look at all like blood (aside form the colour) and looks cheap and tacky; also, most people use way too much.  I haven't seen much CGI blood, but it usually looks pretty fake as well (as many CGI effects in brickfilms generally do).  But again, it isn't at all necessary (with perhaps very few exceptions) and just adds unneeded gore, which just turns me off.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Depends on the film. I find it sort of hilarious when done well. I don't think it could transcend being funny, though; they are LEGO people, after all.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I don't like it when people use clay.
Clay for blood just looks more like clay than blood, and it looks nasty seeing sticky stuff all over the bricks.  It's a little too orange in hue to look like proper blood.
I wish more people would actually use LEGO bricks instead of clay.  You could probably do some pretty interesting stuff with that, like replacing bricks in a wall for a nice stain.

Of course, even that would gross me out some, but I would prefer all LEGO. And if at all, a little warning at least.

Alot of you think clay looks cheap and is ineffective but seriously, when done well,shaped and sculpted in the right positioning and maybe with some red ink to make it look more liquidy, it can look really good. I think a lot of you are basing blood on the people who simply put a blob of clay on people for blood, and don't think about the animation or aesthetics.

EDIT: also, people seem to think that because it is lego and this is a child friendly toy that it shouldn't have potentially realistic gore. I use lego because it is a cheap animation tool. Puppets and claymation are things I'd like to try out but they are very difficult and expensive forms of animation. Lego is easy, cheap....just build the sets out of bricks and take it down. I hate how people limit the animation as if it is lego so should be completely lego based with boring, blocky movements and little vibrance and creativity in the animation..gore, I think is acceptable because to me it is just animation, I don't think about it being lego.

Last edited by MrMingleProductions (April 25, 2013 (02:28pm))

No blood. Blood no good. Blood in LEGO movie bad. Bad blood. Blood bad.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I don't like gory films in general, just because they make me rather uncomfortable. Of course there are applications (someone mentioned Monty Python... I was also thinking of the bunny scene mini/cat ) but most of the time it's pretty aimless.  And when I see it in a brickfilm, I'm like, wow bro you are really desperate for [attention, views, subscribers, controversy, etc.] Again, this is not all the time, but most cases are pretty unintelligent.

MrMingleProductions wrote:

Lego is easy, cheap....

lol what year are you living in where Lego is cheap...And could you please take me with you mini/cat

I'm not super grossed out by lots of gore (and I don't even watch a lot of horror movies).

My only issue with it is when it is used (or overused) in an unnecessary circumstance, or when just used for a bad joke.

For example, after my Puddin Cup Christmas video went semi-viral at my school, I got requests to make a sequel film were Billy gets mad at Santa Claus for not getting him the presents he wanted, so he tracks him down and kills him. mini/confused Not my idea of humor.

So, in conclusion, (what is this, an English essay?) while I'm not aggrevated by the use of gore, I don't like it when it is used for low-brow, 6th Grader laughs. Though, then again, I'm not a big fan of it when used for horror either.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

topitmunkeydog wrote:

I don't like gory films in general, just because they make me rather uncomfortable. Of course there are applications (someone mentioned Monty Python... I was also thinking of the bunny scene mini/cat ) but most of the time it's pretty aimless.  And when I see it in a brickfilm, I'm like, wow bro you are really desperate for [attention, views, subscribers, controversy, etc.] Again, this is not all the time, but most cases are pretty unintelligent.

MrMingleProductions wrote:

Lego is easy, cheap....

lol what year are you living in where Lego is cheap...And could you please take me with you mini/cat

Lego isn't cheap on its own but comparitively...model making includes obtaining wires, boards and many expensive materials...what I'm saying is- what is more expensive: a lego set or a wallace in gromit set?

Last edited by MrMingleProductions (April 25, 2013 (11:57pm))

Really depends on the film to be honest. A city shoot out should'nt have over excessive gore, but a gears of war brickfilm would nearly be expected to contain blood and gore, but not to much to make the audience stop the video.

I really don't see what's with all the hate for blood. If it contributes towards the narrative then a brickfilm, or any sort of medium would look or feel weird without it. I'm completely fine with gore simply because I respect the film-maker's choice to put it in as long as it doesn't subtract from the experience.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

I love blood and gore...when used right.  Overuse of it can look stupid, but if you use it occasionally, it can really make a scene stand out.
I don't think brickfilms should all be child friendly, I love more adult themed films as much as I love family friendly ones.  I'd love to, and probably will make a brickfilm with lots of swearing and violence.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

I personally hate it, but I understand that you need to use it sometimes. What's a war/fighting brickfilm with no blood or gore?

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...