Topic: How do you create a realistic attack movement or ''Punch''?

Hey again, just also wanted to know how can you create a good hit or punch done by a lego to another lego?

For example, a lego going up to another lego hitting him with a crobar, and hitting him as if it looks like he hit him hard?

How is this achievable? A brief detailed explanation or some examples would be fantastic!

Please don't link me to youtube tuts or stuff, I'd like personal experience from this site were possible!

I know theres easing in and out, though if you can explain it for this situation it'd be great,

for example;

1st frame guy lefts hand, 2nd frame, guy lefts hand a bit more, third frame guy lifts it almost half way.. etc.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Addrian

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: How do you create a realistic attack movement or ''Punch''?

"Easing in and easing out", eh, sort of. Ease into the movement, pretty quickly but definately don't ease out before impact. Once impact has been made finish with easing out with 1-2 frames....or after impact make the "crowbar" recoil...so it rebounds a bit off the object. It's also very important to get the reaction right. If punched in the face, during the frame that the hand first impacts the face the body should move back. Then, when the hand is withdrawn slightly after applying the force the body should continue moving for a bit and then sway back to the original position.  My recomendation is to act out the movement and try to break that into frames. The final thing, remember the importance of momentum. A person will often draw back their arm so that there is more time for the fist to speed up when punching. With lego just pull the arm backwards- this should involve easing in/out. Sorry if I've been confusing, hope I helped.

The key to what you want to do is to not have a contact frame. Leave a big gap in the middle.
Usually when you ease, there's a gap in the middle. The faster the movement, the less the frames and the more the gap.
What you want for punching is a snap from the hand not yet contacted in one frame and in the next frame past the affected object with that object displaced (NO easing out of the position the object was in, jut ease into the position you want it to wind up in).
Remember, the more force it has, the more the object will be displaced.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

Hey guys, awesome comments, thanks very much for your replies, I do have just a few questions refering to your answers,

Firstly, MrMingleProductions thanks for your reply/comment I really do appreciate it,

what do you mean by Don't ease out quickly? I am sorry, I have gotten myself into confusion with which one is ease in and which one is ease out, I know one of them, is for really small implement movements, and the other more far apart from each other.

Which body should move back? The one getting striked or the one striking?
Even though it may sound a little confusing, you did a very good job describing it to the best of your knowledge, besides the questions, I'm going to test this out!
Thanks!

Hey Minifig051, thanks for your reply, its been a while since we spoke, so its a nice to speak to you again,

firstly, what do you mean by contact frame, and leave a big gap in the middle? As I said to MrMingleProductions what does easing in and out refer to which one is the small implements and which is the more far apart ones? I think the far apart ones are easing out, but that's why I am asking so I can be sure.

So what your saying a good thing to do is for the final 2 frames, one let it be just before the hand strikes, and the next after it strikes?

(NO easing out of the position the object was in, jut ease into the position you want it to wind up in).

What did you mean by this? I really would like to know, just more briefly if possible.

Thanks so much for your comments, I really do appreciate it.

With Kind regards,
Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

I believe Fancy Pants uploaded a video to Youtube a while ago covering ease in, ease out (using an example of a man hitting another man) I hope this helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XrRJAiIepY

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

During easing in and easing out the method is simple. You start with small spaces inbetween movement and gradually build to faster ones, then slow again. I mean just make the slowing of the movement quicker. So start with small movement, gradually to bigger- then quite abrubtly ease out (after impact, remember). Regarding "which body should move back", the object/person being punched should move back (either falling or swaying back into position) but sometimes (although not always necassary) the hand should bounce back after impact: this is a Robot Chicken skit for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCpJaog6HJo

Hey there TrollBridge Studios did you change your whole name, its good,

Thanks alot for your reply, and video Link, as it is helpful, showing you visually what easing in and out looks like, I wanted some starting off tips to help me out, to further better it, but thanks a lot for the link friend, I do appreciate it as it will help me further down when I understand the basics, thanks for your time!

Hey MrMingleProductions,
Thanks for your reply man, that did help me alot more, and am now much, much less confused, so thank you, I'll start working on this when I get a chance.

With kind regards,
Generalned

Generalned wrote:

Hey Minifig051, thanks for your reply, its been a while since we spoke, so its a nice to speak to you again,

firstly, what do you mean by contact frame, and leave a big gap in the middle? As I said to MrMingleProductions what does easing in and out refer to which one is the small implements and which is the more far apart ones? I think the far apart ones are easing out, but that's why I am asking so I can be sure.

So what your saying a good thing to do is for the final 2 frames, one let it be just before the hand strikes, and the next after it strikes?

(NO easing out of the position the object was in, jut ease into the position you want it to wind up in).

What did you mean by this? I really would like to know, just more briefly if possible.

Thanks so much for your comments, I really do appreciate it.

With Kind regards,
Generalned

A contact frame refers to a frame in which a moving part touches, or contacts, an object. Not including such a frame and having the widest spacing between the frame right before it is supposed to contact and the frame right after is what I mean by the "big gap".
That's not what easing is. Easing is gradually changing the spacing between the positions to transition between one end position (an extreme) to the next. Easing out refers to starting at an extreme and gradually increasing the spacing (at the beginning of a movement). Easing in is the opposite: gradually decreasing spacing until it comes to rest at an extreme.
This is shown in that frame-by-frame video I made for you. If you pay attention to how much the arm moves from frame to frame (called the "spacing"), you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, but do that for the middle two frames. You'll need more frames for your easing on both ends.

I mean the object getting hit snaps directly from its unhit state to being pushed back, so there's no easing on the first half of the movement.
Just to clarify, the easing at the beginning of a movement is called easing out (referred to as easing out of your first extreme) and the easing at the end is called easing in (referred to as easing in to your second extreme).

Last edited by minifig051 (May 16, 2013 (03:09pm))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

A contact frame refers to a frame in which a moving part touches, or contacts, an object. Not including such a frame and having the widest spacing between the frame right before it is supposed to contact and the frame right after is what I mean by the "big gap".
That's not what easing is. Easing is gradually changing the spacing between the positions to transition between one end position (an extreme) to the next. Easing out refers to starting at an extreme and gradually increasing the spacing (at the beginning of a movement). Easing in is the opposite: gradually decreasing spacing until it comes to rest at an extreme.
This is shown in that frame-by-frame video I made for you. If you pay attention to how much the arm moves from frame to frame (called the "spacing"), you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yes, but do that for the middle two frames. You'll need more frames for your easing on both ends.

I mean the object getting it snaps directly from its unhit state to being pushed back, so there's no easing on the first half of the movement.
Just to clarify, the easing at the beginning of a movement is called easing out (referred to as easing out of your first extreme) and the easing at the end is called easing in (referred to as easing in to your second extreme).

Thanks so much for clarifying it, minifig051 its much more understanding than before, I'll take time to read this a couple of times, when I practice.