Topic: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

About half a year ago I started reading and watching GoT. I had no idea what is was, just that it had a reputation of being a good show. I soon found out (and I quote my local newspaper) it's like Lord of the Rings that's slightly more realistic with a bit of love-dovey thrown into it for good measure. In the time that I've been reading and posting on this forum, I've seen a lot of people have a likewise opinion, so that's why this exists!

Discuss new episodes, old episodes, pretty much anything GoT related. Do clearly show spoilers as some people may have not watched the show (or, like me in the Netherlands, are trailing behind a whole season. It doesn't really matter as I read the books, but still. Also those DVDs are a hella lot of money here.)

Also for those who have no idea what it is, I link you to the wiki article and the intro. Beware as the show isn't intended for the younger audiences or the easily offended (medievalish, so some class society is present, and stuff like that).

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Oooh, I've been waiting for this thread to happen! After just finishing A Dance with Dragons, I've settled upon the fact that Game of Thrones is easily and most definitely my favourite fantasy series ever. A Song of Ice and Fire is an intoxicating game of winning or dying in a multifaceted medieval world for some of the most brilliant, yet venomous, characters I've ever come upon.

I'm kind of sad that I have to wait another two years at least for the sixth book, The Winds of Winter, to come out, simply because ADOD left so many cliff hangers!

Yeah the wait for the next book is killing me. This show is def not for children !
But the TV show is just a brilliant adaption of the books. I love the characters, Jon Snow, Arya, Tyrion - actually I have to say that Peter Dinklage is one of my fav actors he is utterly amazing in this series and I just want him to be in every scene.

For those of you who have not read the books, please please do, they are sooo good.

and it has to be said I have a bit of a crush on Rose Leslie who play Ygritte (cue homer drooling sound)

http://files.list.co.uk/images/2012/10/31/img-2046-lst104120.jpg

Last edited by Si665 (April 26, 2013 (03:04am))

Rose Leslie is a really good actress, though her and Jon do some weird arse scheiße in the cave. mini/eek  I've been hassling my friend about his supposed crush on her too, you're not alone.

On another note, I really, really like Varys, so cold, yet really he's such a sly fox, as he's been playing, manufacturing and positioning the game perfectly. One of my favourites.

Last edited by Carousel (April 27, 2013 (02:27am))

Si665, you must have loved the latest episode then mini/eh

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Carousel, I love how you speak in Deutsch instead of English to say that.

It's a bit sad that she left Downtown Abbey.
They were setting up her character and then she just vanished without anyone ever making a mention of her again.

@jediknight I do love my German words...

@Squid She's was very good in Downton Abbey, but I feel it was kind of wise on Rose's part to leave when she did, because, at least in my opinion, the show isn't as great as it once was (their only plot device now really is killing off characters, the novelty's worn off), at its best to move on to new, fresh things.

On the note of Downton Abbey, in the fourth season, when the Crawleys went to their Scottish relative's place, did you guys spot who the house butler was? It was the same actor who plays Rodrik Cassel, the master-at-arms at Winterfel, the one with the fantastic beard.

Si665 wrote:

Yeah the wait for the next book is killing me. This show is def not for children !
But the TV show is just a brilliant adaption of the books. I love the characters, Jon Snow, Arya, Tyrion - actually I have to say that Peter Dinklage is one of my fav actors he is utterly amazing in this series and I just want him to be in every scene.

For those of you who have not read the books, please please do, they are sooo good.

and it has to be said I have a bit of a crush on Rose Leslie who play Ygritte (cue homer drooling sound)

Oh yes, definitely agree with you there.  My crush would have to be on Natalie Dormer, though, who plays Margaery.

Last edited by Saminatorger (April 30, 2013 (09:21am))

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Weird thing is, half the cast are pretending to be royality in castles etc, but Rose Leslie in actual life is from a noble family and lives in a castle, yet in the show she plays a poor wildling lol mini/lol

Someones been doing their research mini/wink

Anyone care to discuss the latest episode?

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY!!!

PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Saminatorger wrote:

Oh yes, definitely agree with you there.  My crush would have to be on Natalie Dormer, though, who plays Margaery.

Humm yes she is very nice to be fair :-)

Spoilers

Don't expect to see much more of her in the series :-(

What did you all think of the Red Wedding? I thought it was executed perfectly, Catelyn was brilliant in the end. Also, the casting for Walder Frey was perfect.

I was so shocked by it all, having not read the books.  It certainly was executed very well, even if it did mean killing off two of my favourite characters.

PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Yes, as a book reader seeing the internet rage/despair over something that we kept secret for over 10 years was pretty fun. I braced myself for the onslaught, so to speak.

There are omissions and changes from the books, but they are minor and few, I think the series is excellent and really kept true to the books as best as possible. Loving the series and I can't wait for the next one.

*BUMP*

I am quite excited for the coming of the fourth season. Not having read the books either, the Red Wedding came to me as a shock as well. It's that sort of moment where you go like "Did they really just do that?" But it was an excellent scene.

Some of my favorite characters at this time would have to be Tyrion, Arya, Bran, Sam, Jaqen H'ghar, Jon, and Tywin from time to time. Jaqen H'ghar is the most interesting one so far IMO, at least in the show; I don't know what's happened to him in the books.

I have read the first two chapters of the first book out of curiosity, and I got hooked of course. I will hopefully read the series some time soon.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Si665 wrote:

There are omissions and changes from the books, but they are minor and few, I think the series is excellent and really kept true to the books as best as possible. Loving the series and I can't wait for the next one.

I would agree here! Much more true to the original source material than some book/tv adaptations!

Si665 wrote:

http://files.list.co.uk/images/2012/10/31/img-2046-lst104120.jpg

Good. God. My computer is melting because of Rose Leslie is so hot.

I am reading the first book right now for the second time to understand again.

Last edited by Wmallenpeterson (October 30, 2013 (04:23pm))

I'm also Bappy on Discord for those wondering.