Topic: Story Concept, Your Thoughts?

Basic Concept:

A man who spends his entire early life in an attempt to gain immortality manages to attain his goal. Centuries in the future the man begins to regret his actions and decides to use the power of time-travel to go back to his earlier self and convince him to stop his quest.

The key themes would be love and loss, the effects of grief on an aging mind and the naivety of the young.

Your thoughts?

Killed by the husband, drowned by the ocean, shot by his own son, he used the poison in his tea an kissed him goodbye, that's my kind of story, It's no fun 'til someone dies.

Re: Story Concept, Your Thoughts?

Sounds Interesting.

That would create a Paradox, if he told his past self never to become immortal, and previous him agreed, the man would never have been able to go back in time to warn himself in the first place, as that version of him, and all his experiences, would no longer exist. But otherwise, and interesting idea. mini/lol

It did occur to me that a paradox would be created, however I like to think of the whole time-travel conundrum as a very free topic to explore. I intend on using parallel universes or alternate realities to explain how the character is able to travel to his younger self and not create a loop. Using this I could even make a "Twilight Zone" style ironic twist which exploits the characters short comings.

Killed by the husband, drowned by the ocean, shot by his own son, he used the poison in his tea an kissed him goodbye, that's my kind of story, It's no fun 'til someone dies.

I like the idea. It's fiction, so even if we did know how time travel would work, you could just have it work a different way if the film, so it shouldn't be hard to avoid a paradox. mini/smile

woah, I like this idea. do it.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I feel a bit of cliche lingering in this idea.

It has a similar concept to the Doctor Who episode "Amy's Choice."
An older version of the character interacts with a younger one, and even though they're doing things that the older one didn't back when she was that age, it still happens relatively paradox-free.

The older version also stayed stable all the way up until the younger version left, so theoretically, as long as there is a definite "Cut-off" point where the older version cannot develop the same way, then it could work.

It sounds very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing it come along. mini/wink

This is just me, but I never liked time travel paradox stories.  There are only two stories of time travel I know that apply the theoretical "Law of Conservations of Events", where every effect has a cause, even it time travel makes it non-chronological.  The two examples are the short story "Anachron" by, I think it's Damon Knight (of "To Serve Man" fame) and the season 2 Transformers episode "Forever Is a Long Time Coming", where the Aerialbots saved Optimus Prime (then Orion Pax) in the distant past, then travelled back in time to do so.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I feel like this is a good idea, but it would be pretty easy to mess it up. I'd say focus a lot on the character aspect of it, probably more than the story itself.

The narrative is very character based, as most of the script - which I'm still writing - is dialogue, and doesn't really extend past a conversation. I want it to be a story that questions the moral standing of truly being able to live forever and whether the human mind can actually cope with this ability, not just an action packed science fiction piece with an intricate setting.

Carousel wrote:

That would create a Paradox, if he told his past self never to become immortal, and previous him agreed, the man would never have been able to go back in time to warn himself in the first place, as that version of him, and all his experiences, would no longer exist. But otherwise, and interesting idea. mini/lol

My thoughts exactly. The only way this wouldn't create a huge plot hole was if the man who came back to the past fails to warn himself. In that case it could be one of those "Time Loop" thingies. I'd suggest reading this mini/smile
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 … 01170.html

Last edited by Leo's World (February 1, 2013 (02:11am))

There is actually a great resource for writing time-travel stories in "How To Write Fantasy & Science Fiction" by Hugo award winner Orson Scott Card.  Strangely, while discussing possible rule ideas for time travel, he never touches on the Law of Conservation of Events possibility.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

For this film I'm going to be using time travel laws similar to the ones used in Alfred Bester's "The Men Who Murdered Mohammed"

To explain what I mean, I'll use a quote from the book.

"We each travel into our own past, and no other person’s. There is no
universal continuum. There are only billions of individuals,
each with his own continuum; and one continuum cannot affect
the other. We’re like millions of strands of spaghetti in the same
pot. No time traveler can ever meet another time traveler in the
past or future. Each of us must travel up and down his own strand
alone."

A Time Travel Agency could try to stop him from messing with the past.

I say when you have a good idea and know how you are going to do it, just do it
and make the best video you can. I have been intrigued with time travel for a film
and look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Good Luck with it, if you need any voicing let me know.