Topic: moving backgrounds?

I am currently animating a short about a guy who goes shopping for the first time (sounds boring, I know) but I am having a lot of trouble with the background of my brick film. in the first part of the film he is watching television and every time I move his arm, the lamp next to him flinches. I soon found that every time I moved my figure something in the background would move slightly too. I have had re-animate over and over because of moving trees, parked cars, and random things. any ideas on securing these items? =P

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Re: moving backgrounds?

Be sure not to touch them but also make sure they are firmly in place. Something sticky may be in order. Most people here swear by Blu Tac but I personally find simple modeling clay an easy and clean way to hold things down.
Good luck with your film!

Thanks! I will try that!

Well, your name is Push-over. mini/lol

Spoiler (click to read)

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. Please don't get offended!)

I have this problem A LOT. One solution is to keep anything that's not securely connected to a stud out of the set. Period. (Unless it can be anchored by clay, but then you have to keep that invisible.)

Also, you can use certain Lego elements to animate characters without sticking your fingers down into the set.
If you need to pull a guy's hand up, grab one of these, and then position the handle in his hand. (Well, not IN it, but get the sticky-out-y part on the handle below his "fingers") You can then pull up on the sword blade, and the bottom part of the hilt will catch on his "finger" thus bringing his arm up. For pushing down, just put the sword hilt on top of his finger and push down.
And if you need something with a longer reach, and you're pushing his arm down, get a jousting stick.

You can also get one of these, and it'll make turning his hand 10,000 times easier when you put it into the hand and pull-up/push-down.

Those are a few tricks that I learned, and for other things, just keep props secure, be careful, and pray very, very hard.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (January 24, 2013 (07:29pm))

well I guess that's what I get for choosing that name.

thank you for the suggestions! nobody has really suggested using lego bricks like that to me, I can't wait to try it! mini/bigsmile

If you animate using a webcam or some other camera connected to a computer, you could try using a frame capturing software such as Helium Frog that has onion skinning and makes spotting bumps and knocks much, much easier. Personally I couldn't live without it! mini/smile

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Well, I have relatively small hands for a guy and I'm very careful when I animate so I can't relate tons, but in really tight situations, I find using a good tweezers can really help. I have a nice high quality, big one (not one of those puny splinter pullers mini/smile )that use frequently. Love them.

Just don't touch them.
Then they won't move.

Practice will give you a bunch of experience for not bumping stuff.
For now, keeping anything bumpable away from the subject may be a good idea. I usually gravitate towards this. However, I'll risk something closer for nice details.