Topic: Need help with sony vegas and AE Important!

I'm having trouble with sony vegas as every time I insert a whole bunch of images, sony vegas gets then in a random order so it doesn't play as intended instead plays random parts, whats going on? mini/dizzy
(Sony Vegas 8.0)

With After effects, how do I create the images to play at 15 FPS? and how do I extend a clip?
(For AE CS4)

Would really appreciate a reply as I have been trying for hours, and haven't gotten anywere would love to edit
my film I made, and can't due to this.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."
Working on a better community
Proverbs 26:21

Re: Need help with sony vegas and AE Important!

I insert my images one at a time.  In case you don't know, you can double-click the image to insert at at the cursor point, which moves the cursor to the point right after the inserted image.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Change your project settings in Vegas, see if that helps...

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

To change the framerate in After Effects, it should be in your Composition Settings. And I'm not too sure on what you mean by extending a clip.

Thanks for the comments holdingourown and 1011ev, however they are still unhelpful, as it still shows 29 fps

Hey mousedroid thanks for your comment, I have a question I click composition settings and it saids frames in 29. something frames per second do I put 2?

And what do I do when I import my photos, because I see the preview but the photos don't seem to import into the timeline and as I said when I play them its stuck on the one photo, Also by extending I clip I mean manually extending the frames time from say 1 second to 3 to edit sound audio and so on.

Look forward to hearing from you,

And if anyone knows why in sony vegas 8 does my images go randomly when played? They are lined as 001,002 but still play randomly whats wrong with it? It didn't use to do this mini/no

Generalned

Moderator Notice: This user has been banned for mass vandalism of the Brikifilms wiki.]
"You don't know what you have till you lose it, but then when you realize it, it's probably to late.."

If you want 15 fps, you should put 15 where it says 29. As for importing images directly into After Effects, there is an option where you can import an image sequence which should solve your problem. It's right when you click Import File. There should be an option at the bottom of the window that pops up that says JPEG Sequence (or PNG Sequence, depending on the type of image). Once you click import, you can adjust the framerate in the next window. I have never used this option before, so I'm not too sure if you can adjust the length of individual frames. If it is necessary that a frame needs to be extended, I would just duplicate it in its folder before you import it into AE.

I'll try it, Thanks for your reply Mousedroid, I'll get back to you with results later on tonight, as I can't access that comp at the moment.

Kind regards, generalned

Hey mousedroid tried it, alas no luck can you give me a more in depth explanation, I refer to the part were you take it to
the composition menu when starting a new composition every time I try and change the rate it still stays at 29 something can you explain how to fix this up, as even when I click default 15fps it still stays on 29 on another aprt, can you explain your theory by step by step?

Really appreciate it, as its bugging me so much I'd love to edit my film and can't due to this, also I've searched for answers and no luck would really appreciate it.

Kind regards Generalned

the 29 fps shuld be 29.97, which is 30 fps.  In the options > editing settings, I change the length of imported clip to .07 seconds, making the length of each fame inserted into the timeline as 2 frames.  now you have 15 frames per second, but the video is rendered at 29.97 without interpolation, which is the standard for DVDs.  When I animated Holding Our Own, I use this technique.  Ep 1 was at only 10 fps, and so each frame took 3 frames on the 29.97 fps timeline.  For ep 2, each still is only 2 frames, for 15 fps.

You didn't need to post another thread, people are responding to this one.
They're just concentrating on your other questions.  mini/wink

generalned wrote:

And if anyone knows why in sony vegas 8 does my images go randomly when played? They are lined as 001,002 but still play randomly whats wrong with it? It didn't use to do this.

I couldn't get mine (Vegas Platinum 11) to do it in the first place, but here are some options:

Option #1. Import them one at a time and put them exactly where you want them.
Option #2. Import them all at once and then organize them.
Option #3. Render them into a video file using another program.
Option #4. Import the images only into the top media bin/holder/thingy, then selcet them all and drag them down into the timeline. When they are imported into the bin/holder/thingy, they organize alphabetically, and stay that way when they are selected and brought down into the timeline..
Option #5. Click "Import Media" as "Image sequence", check the "Open still image sequence" box, select the first frame in the sequence, adjust your settings, and import it. This method imports the individual pictures AND strings them together as an image sequence.

I don't know of any other solution since I work primarily with video files, so one of these will have to do. mini/smile

Wasn't aware of option 5, Pritchard.  Cool!  I'll have to try it.

Hey Pritchardstudios, and holdingourown,

Firstly Pritchard thank you for your extended reply, firstly I do want to apologize about the other thread I did, I didn't think you or holdingourown or anyone for that matter was going to get back to me and it was stressful, I'll get an admin to close it after this message anyhow, and yea your probably right I should have gave people more time to figure out my problem, I will take that into notion next time.
It is also much appreciated you took time to write my options, however all the options from 2-5 I have tried with absolutely no luck, I never had this issue before, I don't know why sony vegas is randomizing my photos and not taking in notion that I have them in ascending order,
2. Importing them all at once then organizing 500 photos is going to be a very long and complex task for the reason the images are all randomized and I'd have to zoom in every time to move one photo away to put another there, so thats not an option unfortunately.
3. I don't have experience with editing video clips unfortunately as I have only ever done editing on images.
4.I though they would also go into the timeline alphabetically unfortunately they still randomize, unless I'm doing something wrong, I have tried dragging them into the project panel, and bin/holdy and it randomizes there even though I have renamed them to; example: test.01, test.02.
5. I tried the image sequence hoping it would just join all the images alphabetically and keep them as images, but as stated it becomes a video, so I that won't help me.

But its ok as I have option one for the time being and will have to do, anyhow thanks very much for getting back to me and giving me an answer much appreciated!

Hey holdingourown!
Thanks for your reply I'll try it out, however I found a different method for just playing at 15fps but thanks anyhow for your reply!

Also I have one more question, I haven't animated in a bit, and I have been trying lately but struggling a bit, Just wanted to ask how you guys edit the audio and sync it with the images?

For example, move lego man hand slowly up (hand from top to bottom was moved 7 frames) How long do extend each frame for a simple line of Are you Lucifer for example? because I don't know whether its not enough photos or I'm extending the frame to much, I'd really appreciate if you guys or anyone can help me.

Thanks again guys, for your replies,

Kind regards, generalned

This thread I found on a different website seems to to give an answer to the problem you're having with Sony Vegas. Regarding After Effects, how exactly are you making your composition? Whenever I change my framerate, every thing is fine and it saves. And like Pritchard, I don't usually work with images in After Effects, just video clips, so I'm somewhat limited with the knowledge I can provide.

Also, why is it that you have to work with the images themselves? A lot of frustration seems to be coming from that, and it would just be easier to work with videos, especially since Sony Vegas and AE are primarily used for video editing/compositing.

Thanks for the thread mousedroid, I'll take a read through it, as for AE, the trouble I'm having is when I put a new composition, I don't seem to know how to effectively get it to 15FPS, and for the fact when I put all my images in its in order, but it just stays on the first image not moving no more than first..

The reason for not working the videos is for the fact I honestly don't know how to extend a single frame in the video file once it's in the timeline, are you able to tell me how you extend frames in a video files to edit the voicing and so forth?

NOTE: I read the thread, and it was the same problem, however they say the fix for it was by highlighting all of them, apprently he just highlighted the second and the rest instead of the first and the rest, what I planning to try is renaming it to simplied order, something like file001,file002,file003 instead of 13image001 (eg)< I'll also try to set the settings to default see that works. Thanks for your reply.
Kind regards, Generalned.

...don't know how to extend a single frame...

Oh, that's easy. Copy the video file, cut the copy down the the very last frame, and then "Ctrl+Left click" and drag it out. You can extend it up to four times it's original length, which ain't much, but that's what they made copy/paste for.
Once you cut the copy down, you can just keep copying that, and eventually you'll make it long enough.

I don't know what's happening with the framerate issue. Whenever I start a comp, I go to the Composition menu on top, then I click on New Composition and I just type in whatever framerate I want and it works fine. And I think the reason why the other frames aren't playing is because the first frame is "on top", so you can't see the frames that are "below" it. If you click on the eye icon that corresponds to your first layer, it makes that layer invisible, so you will now because to see the second layer "below" the first layer. You'll have to manually adjust each frame to play only at a certain time by dragging around the colored bar that corresponds to the layer, which is very time consuming. This is why I suggest you should put your images together into an image sequence.

EDIT:
I figured out a way to extend a frame within a video in AE, but it could get a little tedious.
1. Start with a new comp with the footage you want in it.
2. Drag the time indicator to wherever you want the extended frame to start.
3. Go to Edit>Split Layer.
4. Duplicate the new layer the pops up.
5. Select the split layer (not the one you just duplicated) and go to Layer>Time>Freeze Frame. This should now make the whole split layer one long frame, but you won't see it immediately because the duplicate layer is on top of it.
6. Drag the colored bar in the timeline that corresponds to the duplicate layer to where you want the extended frame to stop.

Last edited by MouseDroid (January 13, 2013 (01:19am))

Pritchard Studios wrote:

...don't know how to extend a single frame...

Oh, that's easy. Copy the video file, cut the copy down the the very last frame, and then "Ctrl+Left click" and drag it out. You can extend it up to four times it's original length, which ain't much, but that's what they made copy/paste for.
Once you cut the copy down, you can just keep copying that, and eventually you'll make it long enough.

Another way to do it is to splice off the last frame (put the cursor there and press S), then cut & Paste as needed.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Another way to do it is to splice off the last frame (put the cursor there and press S), then cut & Paste as needed.

Dude, you're amazing. I never could figure out how to split/splice videos, so thanks.
(Also, don't you mean copy/paste?)

Hey Pritchardstudios, thanks for your reply once again,
I appreciate you getting back to me, however I'm a little confused
with your reply, I understood most of it, but I'm confused as to
what you mean by the very last frame, do you mean the last frame of
the clip? Or the last frame from part of a clip? Just confused with
that part, and just wanted a confirmation when possible, thanks
again for your reply.

Hey mousedroid, with the composition I normally do the same as you
do but I get confused at the part were it is on default, 29.97fps
and the part were you put the amount in is at, 0.0002 do I change
that to 0.0015 to go 15 FPS, becuase I'm confused as everytime I
change it, it saids how much frames it plays in a 29.97fps file?
So am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Haha thanks for finding a way to extend the clips in AE,
I really appreciate you taking your time to do that!
It does sound a little complex but I'll fidle around with it
and give it a shot, just a question is the new layer for just
a frame of a clip or will it apply for all the frames?
Thanks again for your reply!

Hey holdingourown!
Thanks for your brief but very helpful tip, however as I said to
Pritchardstudios what do you mean by the very last frame, do you
mean the last last frame of the video file, or the last part of
a frame in the clip? cause I want to extend parts near the
beggining more to the middle and some within the end, pretty much
throughout the whole clip, so that's the only thing I was confused
about, but thanks for your reply!

Once again thanks everyone who has been helping me out, I really
appreciate it, as I'm sure it will prove useful to me and others,
Thanks again for all your time.

Kind regards, Generalned

Pritchard Studios wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Dude, you're amazing. I never could figure out how to split/splice videos, so thanks.
(Also, don't you mean copy/paste?)

I'm not the amazing one, Prichard Studios.  My friend, Matt, who creates electronic and d&b music, introduced me to Acid Pro even before Sony owned it.  When I started using it, I told him that I needed to learn a new tip every time he came over.  The "S" for splice is something he taught me.  It works in Vegas, too, of course.  And, GeneralNed, Yeah!  I did mean copy & Paste.  Of course, only 1 copy is needed.  I use control-V to rapid-fire repeat paste, rather than clicking on the menu.  You see, when Vegas pastes the new frame in, it also moves the cursor for you so that you can paste again immediately.

And If I need to paste, say, 15 seconds, I'll paste a second's worth, highlight all the repeated frames, copy & Paste again, but now I'm pasting a whjole second at a time.

Welcome to a world of splicing!  I'm confident that your work will improve and be completed more efficiently because if it!  By the way, I Matt doesn't give me tips anymore, but I go into the help menu and look up topics regularly to teach myself new tips & techniques.